Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much only thing I have not done...will post outcome later
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I think you hit the jackpot..but cannot seem to find part no...I have Atwood gch10A-3E 2001 model....what is check valve called?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
So, no mater what you do the tank is dry. The "hot water" you mention above is not hot but simply water flowing from the hot side faucet. Correct? If this is the case you have a bad check valve on the water heater. Just from memory () I think you have one for the cold in and the hot out. Replace the and I think you will be back in hot water. It this case this is a good thing.

At this point I suggest that you call the factory. With your SN they can tell you exactly where the check valve is and the part #. When I did a web search on the topic there are many other RV forums that have found this to be the problem.

Keep us posted. Thank.

Rick Y
Yep just gotta find name and part numbers
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

The parts list for your model Atwood water heater does not show the one-way valve as part of the heater. This back-flow prevention valve is a common plumbing part available from about all RV parts and plumbing supply stores. Here is the Atwood water heater service manual, which may be helpful in case of other problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone's help, still having trouble navigating back to my threads
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post
I like your handle. Seems to fit.

Rick Y
Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
At the bottom of the page, below where you type in your post, is a drop-down menu to select your preference to receive an email update anytime someone places a new post in this thread. You may choose to receive an instant email of a new post/reply, or a daily summary of every thread you have checked the email notification.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Don't know how to end thread,but you guys were so much help...was check valve....took out now hv hot water...just do not know if I need to put another one in, or just lv out...working fine without one ...was the cold water in valve...
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Don't know how to end thread,but you guys were so much help...was check valve....took out now hv hot water...just do not know if I need to put another one in, or just lv out...working fine without one ...was the cold water in valve...
Good news. You should consider putting another one in. There is a chance now for the hot water to back feed into the cold. Hot water out of the cold faucet is not only a surprise but you could get burned.

Threads don't "end". They just go to sleep.

Rick Y
Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Awesome, glad you figured it out and thanks for coming back and keeping us informed. A lot of people often have the same issue and seeing how others fixed it is a big help to them.
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Where does one find this check valve?

mac 'how would I access it to take it out?' gyvr
Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

On many the check valves (Winnebago uses two - one on the input and one on the output) are screwed right into the back of the water heater. On mine they look like brass nipples.
You might want to check with Winnebago customer service. They have been very helpful when I contacted them over the years.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Thanks.

Stood on my head with the water heater halfway ripped out.

Found it. Took the guts out.

mac 'have hot water' gyvr
Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
Thanks.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
Thanks.

So glad u got it fixed...still no check valve in mine yet, but no problem with water mixing...will fix during down time...

Tags
water, gas