Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

No cold water in shower

I've had my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U for almost a year but haven't used the shower before this past week.

My shower only has hot water, no cold water other than a trickle. At first, after reading some of the postings on this forum, I suspected the cartridge, but after removing it, I can tell that there's no water coming from the cold side of the mixing valve body itself. Mine is a Glacier Bay valve.

Of course, I broke the cartridge while removing it so it's getting replaced nonetheless.

Before I start tearing everything apart, any hints? Is there a valve somewhere? My bathroom sink has both hot and cold water but I suppose the line to the shower could be kinked somewhere. I can't imagine how it could be clogged.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Another potential clue: When I was at the campground, I was on city water and got a pretty good flow of hot but no cold. Now, at home, on the pump, I'm getting low flow of hot and no flow of cold. The flow of both is good to the bathroom and kitchen sinks on both city and pump.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Change your water filter. Seriously, only the cold water side of the system is filtered so this is the most likely source of your problem.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Change your water filter. Seriously, only the cold water side of the system is filtered so this is the most likely source of your problem.
I'll check it, but the cold water in the bath sink and kitchen faucets is fine and, now on pump only, the hot water flow in the shower is weak but ok in the sinks.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

OK, so far, no solutions that fit. The cartridge is OK, it's not the filter, and since the sink (hot and cold) works fine, both on the pump and on city water, it has to be something unique to the shower.

The plumbing diagrams on Winnebago's website aren't detailed enough. It looks like I may need to remove the control panel in the storage bay where the outside shower is to intercept the lines. I would assume that the shower and faucet lines come together at some point. If so, and if I can access that point, I should be able to isolate the problem and run new lines to the shower if necessary. However this may not be a valid assumption.

I think that my mixer may have been replaced by the PO, possibly in a failed attempt to fix the problem. It's also possible that it was replaced for other reasons and the lines got kinked in the process. It looks like the part of the shower wall that covers the mixer is removable to allow access to the fittings. I'm thinking of removing it and checking things out from there.

Can anyone advise me on how best to proceed from here?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Are the shutoffs for the outside shower actually shutoff? I don't mean the head but the shutoff valves themselves.. I've heard of weird things happening when they are left on..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

if you mean the knobs for the outside shower, yes, they're both off.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

While it is correct that only the cold water is filtered, I normally find the cold water is then added to the water heater so a stopped up filter will kill both hot and cold. Or does your RV have two hoses to the park valve?
I have found that leaving the valve on the outside can kill flow. My 2015 Vista has a valve to switch when filling the fresh water tank versus when using direct tap water and if it is left in the "fill" position, it can kill flow to the faucets inside. Mine is located in the compartment where the power cord and dump valves are located.
Is this the correct drawing for your plumbing?
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g35u_plumb.pdf
I might go to drawing number five and look at the compartment shown at the right side of the drawing? Looks like a pretty straight shot from there to the shower?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
While it is correct that only the cold water is filtered, I normally find the cold water is then added to the water heater so a stopped up filter will kill both hot and cold. Or does your RV have two hoses to the park valve?
I have found that leaving the valve on the outside can kill flow. My 2015 Vista has a valve to switch when filling the fresh water tank versus when using direct tap water and if it is left in the "fill" position, it can kill flow to the faucets inside. Mine is located in the compartment where the power cord and dump valves are located.
Is this the correct drawing for your plumbing?
I might go to drawing number five and look at the compartment shown at the right side of the drawing? Looks like a pretty straight shot from there to the shower?
As i indicated before, the hot and cold water is fine at the lavatory sink and kitchen sink (both on the pump and on city water) so it's not the filter or anything else that you've mentioned. It has to be something that only affects the shower.

I've looked at drawing #5 and there's no detail as to what's going on behind the panel in the compartment, the dotted lines just end. I guess I'm going to have to remove it to see.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Depending on how easy/difficult to get that apart, is there an air compressor handy and any possible way to feed air in at the shower to see where it leads. Kind of thinking if it is easy to go one way or the other, I go the easy way first as it may help me understand where a clog or bend might be.
Another thought, if the faucet in the shower has been "fixed" by somebody, they may not have done the fittings right, so I might lean toward looking there before doing much at the compartment.
Wish you luck as it can be a drag to find the real problem.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Morich, I'm thinking along the same lines as you are. First I'm going to remove the shower wall panel covering the mixer so I can disconnect the lines and see if it might be the mixer body itself. If not, I'll put air into both lines and try again. Failing that, I'll have to remove the panel in the storage compartment to expose more of the plumbing.

If logic has anything to do with the way it's plumbed, I think there must be one set of hot and cold lines feeding both the sink and shower via two T fittings. Hopefully these are accessible behind the panel in the compartment.

For now, this is going to be on hold until after 12/1, due to Thanksgiving and other commitments.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Plumbing is pretty much settled if the RV is not new, so looking at where things may have been changed is where I think first. Something as simple as the wrong fitting so that they bent the tubing rather than it going in at the right angle? I t might work for a while and then fold up and cut off flow. I had never bought a new RV before this year and then found out how bad some are built. Not saying the Winnebago drawing are as clear as I might want but my call to Thor folks was bad! Asking where I might find the other end of a coax, I got the answer that, "they are all pretty much generic". No interest at all in helping.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

First thing to do is take apart the faucet in the shower, and see if anything is unusual. It may be some trash or something is not set right. I would check that first before tearing anything apart. Make things easy by checking the shower valve first then work backwards, then working at the service supply going forward. If your outside shower faucet is closed, then work from the inside shower going to your supply source.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As stated start at the faucet and work back toward the supply and look for inline back flow preventer check valve they may be plastic or brass. If the systm was ever over pressured the back flow preventer can get blown apart and restrict or block flow this happened to me on the hot side of my shower hood luck hunting
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmielowiec View Post
As stated start at the faucet and work back toward the supply and look for inline back flow preventer check valve they may be plastic or brass. If the systm was ever over pressured the back flow preventer can get blown apart and restrict or block flow this happened to me on the hot side of my shower hood luck hunting
Even though you have a Journey, can you tell me where the back flow preventer check valve is?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

It's very hard to say I was searching for it and called Winnebago and they insisted that it was at the water heater outlet which it was not I argued enough with them that they pulled the build sheets for my coach and discovered on that my rig it was put behind the water cabinet control panel so call the man or get to searching
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

More than likely this is unrelated, but since we're on the subject of shower issues I'd like to ask about the minor problem with my 27Q. The shower operates properly at the desired water temperature until the flow is paused at the shower head to accomplish the usual "Navy shower" routine. Upon resuming the water flow, even after a pause of only 30 seconds, we get an exhilarating blast of pure cold water for about 2 seconds, then the warm flow resumes. I have a fair amount of residential plumbing experience but this one baffles me. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Seems to be normal in the Rv I had. My " assumption " has been that the water in the line from the shower head to the faucet cools enough to make me think it is freezing! If somebody has a real explanation like how so much cold water gets past the faucet, I'm open to changing the way I shower.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Try looking at this drawing:
If this appears to be the correct drawing, scroll to page 7 and check near the right side and near the bottom to find view f-f? Looking to the top of that section, I see a check valve indicated. If correct, and check that, it seems like a check valve would be behind the panel in the compartment with the plumbing controls??/
The view f-f refers to page five which is the coach body with the front to the left side of the page. View f-f is on the far left of that page.
Not saying that is the problem but then it does give a location for one check valve??
Maybe worth taking a look at it if you do get into taking that panel off?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Thanks, Morich! I looked at the drawing and it appears that the lavatory sink and shower lines simply T together as I suspected. This is all downstream from the check valve so it's not the problem. I don't know why I didn't see this drawing before, I think I got stuck on page 5. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

I suppose the worst case is I'll have to run new shower lines from this T but, before I do that, I'm going to open up the shower panel at the mixer valve and make sure the problem is with the lines and not the mixer body itself. Replacing the mixer will be a lot simpler than running new lines.

Tune in for more after 12/1 when I can get back to working on this.

Tags
shower, water