Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

NEW Itasca sink problem

Thank you assisting me. My husband and I just purchased a new Itasca Spirit (class c, 31t). Just about to hit the road, checked the kitchen sink and it won't drain!! plunged sink, shower etc. Drove back to the dealer, basically said it was the manufactures problem now.
Does anyone have any advice, coaching, education etc on how to handle this right away? We were looking be on the road asap! Thank you everyone!
-B-
brencolleli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Whoa! What horrible "customer service" from that dealer. If your Itasca is brand new, they should be willing to help with a possible warranty problem. That said, have you tried emptying the gray tank? Do the tank sensors show that the tank is full?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Call Itasca and explain what is going on.

I bought a new Thor trailer one time, pulled it home and discovered the brakes and axle were defective. Called the dealer within two hours of taking delivery and he said he couldn't work on it for three weeks.

I called Thor immediately and they said take it to any authorized Thor RV repair place and they would cover it. Found a place in my hometown that was authorized and the axles and brakes along with a couple other items were replaced with no cost to me.

So call the manufacturer and see what they will do for you.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hello and :welcome: We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
If the grey tank is not full and the sink is in a slideout, then you could have a kinked drain hose in the slideout plumbing to the main floor.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do any of the drains flow? Lavy, Shower? Is the lavy sink in a slideout? If the gray tank is overfull, it will rise into the shower first. Use caution if you use a snake, it could get stuck in a kink. I would also get in touch with Winnebago Customer service and let them know of your unresponsive dealer. If what you say about their response is correct, that's just not right. Act fast and take notes. There are Fitness of Merchantability Laws. Most of all, get on record with Winnebago.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Call Itasca. It might take a while to actually get to talk with someone, but they should be able to help you out. They also keep track of every thing and every time that motor home is brought to their attention. Are you sure about it being a 31T - I don't think there is such a model.
Stupid question, but you have removed the sink strainer/drain plugs right? I just went out and looked at my 31K and there is what looks like some type of back flow preventer in the drain line (no info about it in the operator's manuals that I could find) but it is supposed to be installed one way only (according to a "flow" sticker on it). Perhaps yours, assuming you have one, is installed backwards ? It also says to remove it, before using any snakes in the line.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Call Itasca. It might take a while to actually get to talk with someone, but they should be able to help you out. They also keep track of every thing and every time that motor home is brought to their attention. Are you sure about it being a 31T - I don't think there is such a model.
Stupid question, but you have removed the sink strainer/drain plugs right? I just went out and looked at my 31K and there is what looks like some type of back flow preventer in the drain line (no info about it in the operator's manuals that I could find) but it is supposed to be installed one way only (according to a "flow" sticker on it). Perhaps yours, assuming you have one, is installed backwards ? It also says to remove it, before using any snakes in the line.

I think the pipe you refer to is a vent to allow the sink to drain properly.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
I think the pipe you refer to is a vent to allow the sink to drain properly.
Yeah, that has to be what it is, since there's no vent going up through the roof from that sink.

Tags
itasca