Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First, I'm not sure if this goes in the W/I section or the Workhorse chassis, but here goes.

It is my understanding that while driving, the engine coolant can warm the water in the Atwood water heater to near 200 degrees.

If one were to switch the water heater to ON at this point, the ECO would shut the unit down as it will do this at 140 degrees.

I don't plan to do this........but you never know.

Atwood tells me to reset the ECO, you access the back of the w/h, find a small metal box with a hole, stick a pencil in there to reset.

The Atwood GH6-8E owners manual says (I think) to shut the unit off via the remote switch for 30 seconds and then back to ON. Sounds pretty stupid to me as the water temp will still be way over 140 degrees.

I did a search and found one statement concerning this condition: "... be sure not to switch on your electric or DSI" but no reason was given.

This is installed on a 2004 Sightseer 27C

Has anyone popped their ECO and how did you reset it, please?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First, I'm not sure if this goes in the W/I section or the Workhorse chassis, but here goes.

It is my understanding that while driving, the engine coolant can warm the water in the Atwood water heater to near 200 degrees.

If one were to switch the water heater to ON at this point, the ECO would shut the unit down as it will do this at 140 degrees.

I don't plan to do this........but you never know.

Atwood tells me to reset the ECO, you access the back of the w/h, find a small metal box with a hole, stick a pencil in there to reset.

The Atwood GH6-8E owners manual says (I think) to shut the unit off via the remote switch for 30 seconds and then back to ON. Sounds pretty stupid to me as the water temp will still be way over 140 degrees.

I did a search and found one statement concerning this condition: "... be sure not to switch on your electric or DSI" but no reason was given.

This is installed on a 2004 Sightseer 27C

Has anyone popped their ECO and how did you reset it, please?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Excuse my ignorance but what is an ECO?

When I'm traveling the water heats up to about the same as if it were on propane or electric and it does not seem any hotter. My engine does run at 180 degrees even up grades so no way could the water heater get to 200. I believe I've by accident left the heater on propane a time or two when traveling and have never experienced a shut down that required a reset.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

ECO = Energy Cut Off

The term applies to both the electrical and gas energy supplies of the water heater.

Someone with more experience may want to jump in, but I think the ECO temperature is actually higher then 140. I believe it is around 180 degrees. If the coolant runs around 180, I imagine the water temp in the heater would be slightly cooler. Nevertheless, Scooter is correct that running for long periods of time, or with a engine that runs hotter, it could be possible for the coolant to raise the temperature above the ECO temperature and cause it to trip. I think someone posted earlier, that not turning on the water heater for an hour or so after an extremely long drive would prevent the problem.

I know when we drive for a couple hours we have fairly hot water. A couple times after driving 8 hours, the water was really hot so we tend to be careful after a long drive.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I've heard of this issue before, but I for one have never experienced it. I used to have a Brave with a Workhorse chassis and currently have a Meridian. I usually switch on my water heater shortly after I arrive at a campsite and have never popped the ECO.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Guess I've never experienced the hotter water because even up grades pulling my toad or boat the engine never gets above 180-190. One time I pulled my 3500 lb boat up a grade in 95-100 degree outside temperature and still the engine did not run any hotter. At 180 engine temp I doubt if the hot water is much over 140?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have come to the conclusion that the ECO can trip if the Electric heat switch is turned on too soon after coming off the road and getting "hooked-up" very quickly. It has happened twice for me and each time conditions were similar...several hours of driving and a quick hook-up. It's not all that difficult to reset the ECO if there is clearance to get under the coach, but I have since changed the practice to not switching on the elect water heat until well settled and/or after running some hot water (this introduces cold water into the tank). I haven't had a long enough drive since to know if this is best way to prevent ECO tripping, but I am betting it will.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is my understanding that while driving, the engine coolant can warm the water in the Atwood water heater to near 200 degrees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think that is correct for two reasons. First after driving for several hours my hot water is close to the usual temperature of about 130'F. That makes me think there is some sort of thermostat in the system.

Second, water as hot as 190'F or so would be a big safety issue.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Scooter
Well, I stand corrected.
I finally got a chance to call Winnebago customer service yesteday and they said that there is not a thermostat in the hot water line going back to the hot water heater heat exchanger.
Apparently the heat loss from the long hoses along with the in-efficient heat exchanger used, keep the water temp down to reasonable levels most of the time.
As the other poster stated, on occasion the temp can go high enough to trip the overtemp shut-off on the hot water heater.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just got the MH back from the dealer for routine service before my next trip. The electric hot water quit working on our last trip, so I had the techs look at it, thinking it's probably an element.

The original poster is correct, the Motoraid gets the water in tank much hotter than the 140 degrees determined be ECO. If you turn on the electric hot water right after stopping most likely, the hot water breaker on the heater itself will trip.

It cost me $65 to find out.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

the WH chassis 8.1 runs too hot. I burned up 1 ECO during the first year...on a trip to yellowstone. Now the elect water heater does not work again on this trip to Grand Canyon. I checked the ECO breaker and it did not trip...meaning something burned the electric element again...I do not turn on the elect heater until the next morning...so that the heater has cooled off...but that still is not a good enough preventive step. I am not going to fix this since it is out of warranty and I can continue to use propane, which heats the water faster...This is a problem with the WH gasser only...Diesels runs alot cooler...There was a discussion about who is at fault...as usual, the fingers are being pointed by each party to someone else...I just know that mine doesn't work anymore...Good idea, bad engineering...I am not impressed...
Old 06-21-2005, 01:25 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Just my two cents:
I think kellysrv post above sums it up well. I have friends with the same experience and that was their resolution. As for the 'bad engineering', I agree to an extent... Note that the length of hose running from the engine to the water heater is fairly short; Winnie has 'relocated' the water heaters further back in the coach for most 05/06 models now. Perhaps that was their reaction to eliminate the problem?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I put a piece of masking tape over the water heater "on" switch as a reminder to think about how long ago we parked.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Seems to be many different opinions as to what and why this happens. Just to muddle the water a little, our rig gets the hot water heater turned on as soon as we get shore power hooked up. (Maybe 5 minute time frame) Have never had one problem with the heater in four years, have never checked the temputure from the motor-aid, but it is to hot to hold you hand under.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I love the motor-aid system and never have had a problem with it. I never turn the electric hot water heater on after hooking up as the water is all ready hot. I usually use the microwave timmer to remind me to turn the heater off in 20-25 minutes because if I leave it on for any longer the safety valve usually pops. Besides if I turn the propane on just before I get a shower I can just turn on hot only water and the tempature is just right, otherwise you have to play with the valve- hot&cold to get it just right, which is usually never. It is either to hot or to cold unless I use the method stated above.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Let me muddy the water even more. I turn on the elec. switch when I leave home and turn it off when I get back home. The only time I have used LPG is to test it, which I do every three or four months. I have driven all day many a times without any problems. I have owned this rig for one and a half years and have only reset the breaker once. This was due to an elec. surge that tripped several breakers. Yes, I now have a surge protector on the whole rig. I love this system almost as much as the engery management system. This is our fifth motorhome and I love all these great inventions.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just to clarify my previous post. I thought the electric element burned out again. It turns out that the water in the heater was still too warm after I reset the breaker and the heater would not come on. It worked 1/2 day later...Nonetheless, there should have been a built in temp relay of some kind so that I don't have to "think" about the sequence all the time...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LandHo:
Just to clarify my previous post. I thought the electric element burned out again. It turns out that the water in the heater was still too warm after I reset the breaker and the heater would not come on. It worked 1/2 day later...Nonetheless, there should have been a built in temp relay of some kind so that I don't have to "think" about the sequence all the time... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LandHo - I was told there was a $200 fix that required some additional valving and a solenoid.
I passed on the offer.

If you turn on the electric on the HWHeater when you start out on a trip, when the water gets to 140 degrees does it automatically turn off the thermostat without tripping the breaker on the water heater ? If so, this might be the simplest of procedures.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

So, has anyone had their ECO on an Atwood GH6-8E shut down the water heater and more importantly, how did you reset it?