Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My water presure & volume seems low & getting worse. Affects both hot & cold. Is there another filter besides the one on the pump?
Does all water go tru that filter? Does not look dirty, but have not removed it yet.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My water presure & volume seems low & getting worse. Affects both hot & cold. Is there another filter besides the one on the pump?
Does all water go tru that filter? Does not look dirty, but have not removed it yet.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Vern,

Since you said "when on city water", the pump filter would not be involved. Do you have a pressure regulator on your hook-up hose to protect against high campground water pressure? If so, maybe it's starting to fail. If you're sure the city water pressure isn't too high, try removing the pressure regulator (if you use one).

Maybe your Vectra has a "whole house" filter. My Journey doesn't, but I think it would be obvious if you had one.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Vern - I think there is a check valve that might be plugged up with debris. Another culprit could be the fill/city water valve.

Your best bet is to download your plumbing diagram from Winnebago and look at the diagram.

There is no whole-house filter plumbed in from the factory.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The two replies that you have are right on.

The kitchen area has the lowest pressure usually. But be sure you are using a GOOD pressure regulator when you are hooked to a city supply. The Watts regulator does a good job for most of us..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you are on city water and have your valve turned to city water the pump filter has no bearing on your incoming water. Most RV's have a water filter on the one cold water faucet on the sink in the kitchen. This would have no effect on any other faucet in the RV. It would appear to me that you have blockage in the main line or possibly the small screen behind the water inlet, (where the hose hooks up), may be impacted. I would check there first.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For what it is worth.

1. We have a shut off valve under the sink on the water filter. Wifey bumps it every once in a while, and gradually closes it. Took me along time to find first time. She gradually shuts the water flow down from the filter. One day she shut it off completely. That is how I found it the first time. Just a thought.

2. On our water heater we have a check valve. The spring broke, and would not let water flow into it. We have really hard water and thought maybe it was corraded (spelling) I had talked to a fellow camper and Winny owner who keyed me in on this. When the spring broke it would only let a small amount of water flow.

Don't know if this will help any, but problems I have had with water flow. Seems like some of the lines would flow ok in these instances. Been a couple years since this happened.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If it affects all faucets in the RV, I would suspect you are using a cheap "pressure regulator" at the hydrant. They are actually flow restrictors rather than pressure regulators, and they plug after a time. I went through two or three plugging up until I bought a 3/4" flow Watts whole house pressure regulator at Lowes.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If all other replies turn out ok, check all the little screens at each faucet. They may be clogged up from a previous dirty/sandy water supply.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You might try this as another check.

You are hooked to the 'city water' and the flow at the kitchen faucet is less than desirable.

Turn on the 'water pump' at the power panel, leaving the city water valve as was.
Now turn on the kitchen faucet again. The water pressure is now augmented by the rig water pump and is satisfactory.
This 'test' will tell you if the lack of pressure is from the city water line or the internal lines in the rig.

We are searching for a solution to low pressure at our kitchen faucet and shower and have used the rig pressure pump to bring the pressure up.
Tomorrow I will remove the pressure regulator and install another one I have aboard, in it's original wrapping, unused, to see if that changes things.
Will report results.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the quick replies & suggestions. I am using a Marshall Brass in- line regulator. I have 2 small WATTS adjustable regulators with gauges at home in Washington, I am now in San Diego!! Used them in my old MH. but now used for other things. Have not found anything simelar yet local. The ones @ Home Depot/Lowes are HUGE. My problem is for sure the regulator, hooked city supply direct & everything is good, but will not leave it that way. You have sent a lot of good ideas but all may not apply o me. I tried turning the pump on but it does not run if the city side is @ preassure. I am also aware of the nasty hot water heater check valves, had to change the outlet one in the parking lot at "The Rally" last summer in Redmond. All water outlets are affected the same. Tonight I am soaking the regulator in "Lime Away" & try it again in AM. A local RV supply said they clog with minerals but they only had replacments like the one I have. THEN try to locate an adjustable Watts unit. Thanks again for all the answers.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried turning the pump on but it does not run if the city side is @ preassure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I turned my pump on and then turned on the faucet, the water came out, the water pump came on and the pressure came up to an acceptable flow.

We removed the outside in-line filter and the system now is functioning as it should. My belief is that the filter, 9 months in service, was beginning to reach the end of it's service life. We will replace it.

I also say Thanks to all who posted on this thread. We gained help from it.
We never know, when we post a question, who or how many others, might be helped by the replies.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My belief is that the filter, 9 months in service, was beginning to reach the end of it's service life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, yeah!!! I believe the recommended service life on my outside sediment filter is 3 mo. 'course we are fulltime, but it can get pretty nasty looking in just 3 mo!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Another place no one has mentioned is the small screens on the faucet ends themselves. If you do not have a exterior in line filter some trash can be trapped in these screens and gradually slow water flow. Minerals can do this also. You can unscrew the ends of the faucets and the screens are located inside. Be aware of how you take it apart because it has to go back the same way to work properly. Some of those ends have 5 pieces in them.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I am pushing it to get 90 days constant use out of my whole house filter on the coach. Usually, especially in Florida, I find a fair amount of very fine sea shells packed on my filter. These do impede the flow of water. At least the filter kept them out of the plumbing system. Yes it is a city water supply not a private well.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My belief is that the filter, 9 months in service, was beginning to reach the end of it's service life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, yeah!!! I believe the recommended service life on my outside sediment filter is 3 mo. 'course we are fulltime, but it can get pretty nasty looking in just 3 mo!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Water filters are usually rated by number of gallons passed rather than number of months in use.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Water filters are usually rated by number of gallons passed rather than number of months in use </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True, but whole lot easier for me to measure "months of use" than it is "gallons passed through."