Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Low hot water flow

Our hot water flow from all faucets and shower is about 25% of what the cold water flow is on our 2005 Itasca Horizon. We have been parked for several days and suddenly the hot water flow problem developed. Prior to this the hot water flow was about 75 - 80% of the cold. The condition is the same on city water or on-board pump. We use a whole house filter and all the aerator screen type filters for every faucet have been checked and cleaned. Our 10 gal. hot water heater was replaced about 18 months ago. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are two check valves on the water heater. Input line and output line. Maybe one of them has failed partially closed.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
Our hot water flow from all faucets and shower is about 25% of what the cold water flow is on our 2005 Itasca Horizon. We have been parked for several days and suddenly the hot water flow problem developed. Prior to this the hot water flow was about 75 - 80% of the cold. The condition is the same on city water or on-board pump. We use a whole house filter and all the aerator screen type filters for every faucet have been checked and cleaned. Our 10 gal. hot water heater was replaced about 18 months ago. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
If you have spent time in the Reo Grande Valley I think I know what might be happening. Many areas have heavy minerals in the water. But the Valley beats them all. My water heater was so full of "fish scales" that I could hardly get it clean the first time I flushed it.

What I suggest is that you start by flushing your heater if you have not done so recently. Remember to shut the heater down before doing this and run the water till it is cold. Shut off the water supply, remove the drain plug and lift the TP valve handle. After you are satisfied it is as clean as you can get it ( I use a wire to stir around in the tank) remove the stem from each hot water faucet and check for junk in the passages. Also remove the airaitor screens and clean them.

After all of this is done turn the water back on and check for leaks. If none of this works, the check valve suggested by Clay L may be the problem. Make certain to get all of the air out of the system before turning the heater back on.

I hope you get this problem fixed sooner than later. No way to have to spend your off time.

Rick Y
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the feedback. After further research; iRV2, Winnebago technical support and RV service people the conclusion is a stuck check-valve. I don't see anyway to get at the back of the water heater other than removing the heater and that's a job I'm not ready to tackle. We have a mobile RV service tech coming, we hope today.
If anyone knows how to get to the back of my water heater without removal I would sure like to hear about it. It's a 2005 Horizon model 40AD.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Each is different, but on my 04 Vectra I was able to replace my check valve by coming up from underneath the chassis to access the back of the water heater. Was a pain, working through an opening about the size of two Kleenex boxes, but was able to do it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Each is different, but on my 04 Vectra I was able to replace my check valve by coming up from underneath the chassis to access the back of the water heater. Was a pain, working through an opening about the size of two Kleenex boxes, but was able to do it.
The check valves were the cause of my problem. The service technician tried to remove the water heater first then found the panel you are referring to. With my bad back I'm glad I didn't attempt the repair. I wish I would have read your comment before the tech arrived, it could have saved him some work. He discounted the labor because he spent more time than was needed.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
Appreciate the feedback. After further research; iRV2, Winnebago technical support and RV service people the conclusion is a stuck check-valve. I don't see anyway to get at the back of the water heater other than removing the heater and that's a job I'm not ready to tackle. We have a mobile RV service tech coming, we hope today.
If anyone knows how to get to the back of my water heater without removal I would sure like to hear about it. It's a 2005 Horizon model 40AD.
By chance can you gain access through the back of the chest of draws? On my '05 Vectra mine was accessible under the linen closet. I closed the tab for your plumbing without copying the link. Sorry. Have to run. Look it up. It might help.

Rick Y

Tags
water