Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Life Expectancy of Hot Water Heater?

The Atwood (GCH10A-4E) hot water heater in our Journey has quit working on electric (LP still works). I am wondering what is the life expectancy of RV Hot Water Heaters ... I hate to spend major dollars repairing it if it is at the end of it's expected life cycle.

We spend about 6 months of each year in the RV.

I know that where I live, the life expectancy of a residential hot water heater is about 10 years.

I would appreciate hearing who has replaced a hot water heater ... and the age of the heater. Thanks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ours is 14 years old and going strong, no leaks. same unit as yours. The electric problem could just be a wiring problem. I wouldn't just give up on it.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine hit 11 years with some repairs - I'm the 3rd owner. My electric stopped too and it was a leak at the rear of the tank dripping onto the element and relay. Since it had multiple repairs previously for leaking, I opted for a new WH Tank. Warranty paid for the repair amount and then I paid the rest for a new tank.

There is an access panel on the bottom - rear of the tank on my Journey. Multiple screws and a plate comes off, its a tight squeeze. If you need more room, the tank can be unscrewed and pulled out a few inches without removing LP hose.

Just like the front, there are the same eco and tstat, plus the heating element and relay and for some odd reason an on/off switch.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It is probably just an electrical problem. Could be burned out element, a bad relay, bad switch, or thermostat. My money would be on the element, they do burn out. It is very easy to check with an ac voltmeter and an ohm meter.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mine's still going strong and it's 15. Clean it, service it, and should last a long time. Full time use should shorten lifespan.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
It is probably just an electrical problem. Could be burned out element, a bad relay, bad switch, or thermostat. My money would be on the element, they do burn out. It is very easy to check with an ac voltmeter and an ohm meter.
What he said. Depending on the type of water you are dealing with the element life can vary considerably. I'd be checking the voltage on the element with the idea that I would replace it if there was power there and troubleshoot why not if there was no power.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Never had an RV one quit although usually we traded before that happened. Our 2002 Dutch Star we traded off in Feb still had the original WH in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Atwood water heaters last a long time because the tanks are made of aluminum. Residential water heater tanks are steel and they rust out and leak.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

15 years and it is about the only item that hasn't broken.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
Atwood water heaters last a long time because the tanks are made of aluminum. Residential water heater tanks are steel and they rust out and leak.
My 10 gallon gas only Suberban SW10D steel tank RV water heater is over 19 years old and still working.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Definitely have it checked out before opting for a replacement. There's a resettable over temp switch at the rear that weakens over time. The temperature sensitive spring will trip the switch then the electric element won't get current. It's not uncommon, however it's an easy and inexpensive repair.

We had to replace the over temp switch on our 2001 Adventurer water heater. The only other repair it needed in 12 years and over 100,000 miles was a plastic elbow on the inlet side of the tank.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Definitely have it checked out before opting for a replacement. There's a resettable over temp switch at the rear that weakens over time. The temperature sensitive spring will trip the switch then the electric element won't get current. It's not uncommon, however it's an easy and inexpensive repair.
We had to replace the over temp switch on our 2001 Adventurer water heater. The only other repair it needed in 12 years and over 100,000 miles was a plastic elbow on the inlet side of the tank.
Hikerdogs
Is "Adventurer" the brand/make of your RV water heater?
I thought only Suberban and Atwood made RV water heaters.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Very first repair we had done after going full time was to replace the control board in our water heater. Other then that going strong for ten years.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Hikerdogs
Is "Adventurer" the brand/make of your RV water heater?
I thought only Suberban and Atwood made RV water heaters.
Mel
'96 Safari
Sorry for the confusion. The motorhome was a Winnebago Adventurer. The water heater was an Atwood 10 gallon gas/electric with an electronic ignition for the gas portion (as opposed to a pilot light). We have the same model in our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What is a "hot water heater?"
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

da "hot water heater" is da ting youse turns on so's when youse gets in da shower da water is nice and warm on yer keester
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

As others have said, start with a volt meter and check the easy things first starting with the heating element and working backwards from there. A 110v heating element made by Camco is 1/2 the price at Home Depot or Lowe's than an RV parts house. It is the same element as under sink water heaters.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
peterson
A "water heater" makes cold water hot.
A "hot water heater" makes hot water even hotter.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
da "hot water heater" is da ting youse turns on so's when youse gets in da shower da water is nice and warm on yer keester
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
peterson
A "water heater" makes cold water hot.
A "hot water heater" makes hot water even hotter.
Ohhhh! Dat ting do maak it hooot beaudreaux.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

About 3 months ago, I had a serious leak in the plumbing on the back side of the water heater ... the piping was repaired ... the tech told me that the back of the heater was soaked ... so I used the LP for the next two trips to let the electrical stuff dry out.

This time the tech discovered that the relay was very corroded from the previous leak and had quit working ... so he replaced it ... I chose to have the electrical element replaced at the same time ...

I grew up in a "pioneer" home ... no electricity, we carried our water in and out of the house in buckets, I bathed in a washtub in the middle of the kitchen floor in water heated on the cookstove .... so I really appreciate warm running water in a shower ...to me it is a luxury for which I am willing to pay ...

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater