Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Lavatory faucet leak fixed (finally!), and a tip

The toilet room sink faucet in our Sunstar has had an intermittent leak under the counter since we purchased the unit (and probably before). It was on the hot water side.

Tightening the PEX swivel elbow would fix it for a while, but then it would drip again. That was bad, because the drip was into the sink base cabinet, where it might not be discovered for a while.

Before our next outing, I decided to fix it.

Below is what I found. The cone washer (or whatever that is called) got folded over during the initial installation. I tried to replace it with a cone washer from the hardware store, but it was just too big to fit in the nut.

It took me a while to locate the correct part on-line, so when I found it at Ace, I ordered 3 for delivery to my local store (2 for the faucet, and a spare in case I boogered up one of the first 2).

I replaced both swivel Els today, and pressurized the system. So far, no leaks.

The tip:

Neither the bath sink or faucet (or stove or kitchen sink, or faucet) were sealed to the counter or sink when the coach was made. So, stray water from spray or washing hands or dishes, can leak under the sinks, stove, or faucets, causing long term damage and problems.

I bought a tube of DAP Kwik-Seal today to seal all of them.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've spotted something that has always bugged me! When I first got around to RV's, I had been doing rental repairs for a long time and leaks are always something to watch for as they can do lots of damage if given time. And those leaks can be super sneaky when they are small and fall down in all the clutter we often keep under the sink.
But it is also really irritating that the faucets in RV are often not sealed and it lets the water we drip on the counter, sneak in and either soak into the particle board countertop or fall down and rot something there.
So it may be just paranoid but many of us would be well served if we pulled the faucet and either changed it out for a better one or at least doing the sealing to save the countertop, etc. in the future.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a part number or order information from Ace?
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
Do you have a part number or order information from Ace?

Here you go...
DE KD6DSI

Flair-It PEXLock 1/2 in. MPT x 1/2 in. Dia. FPT Swivel Elbow

SKU #4807673

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ttings/4807673

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had the same issue on my 2018 32YE. Had a repair van come to my site to make the repair. Got reimbursed from Winnebago. Had lot of other issues in the first 6 months of ownership.
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the bath faucets and the one in the kitchen(DW wanted brushed nickel rather than the factory chrome) and used sharkbite angle stops and faucet risers readily available at Lowe’s or HD.
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak