Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Update Sept 5:

Sure enough it was the pump! Replaced it in a few minutes this morning and it performs as it should except we now have a leak in the discharge or pressure slip fitting (the threaded adapter that pushes into the pump orfice.)

I made sure both mating surfaces were clean, aligned properly, and even used some silicon grease but we have a drip every second or so now. I'll let Winnie fix it next month unless it gets a whole lot worse.

Man I hate plumbing projects

Update 8/25:

I started to disassemble the plumbing service bay and after removing one panel, I thought I'd try to get an opinion from Winnebago before I got too deep in taking things apart.

Winnie's opinion is indeed a pump failure like many of you have suggested, so we are getting a new pump.

I'll update everybody when we change out the pump.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just when things were getting fairly predictable around here we now have an anomaly. We unhooked this morning (electric sewer, water) getting ready to move and discovered that the water pump (Shureflo 5.7) now runs continuously and while it is pumping some water, it is not enough to flush the head.

Anybody have any ideas?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Update Sept 5:

Sure enough it was the pump! Replaced it in a few minutes this morning and it performs as it should except we now have a leak in the discharge or pressure slip fitting (the threaded adapter that pushes into the pump orfice.)

I made sure both mating surfaces were clean, aligned properly, and even used some silicon grease but we have a drip every second or so now. I'll let Winnie fix it next month unless it gets a whole lot worse.

Man I hate plumbing projects

Update 8/25:

I started to disassemble the plumbing service bay and after removing one panel, I thought I'd try to get an opinion from Winnebago before I got too deep in taking things apart.

Winnie's opinion is indeed a pump failure like many of you have suggested, so we are getting a new pump.

I'll update everybody when we change out the pump.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just when things were getting fairly predictable around here we now have an anomaly. We unhooked this morning (electric sewer, water) getting ready to move and discovered that the water pump (Shureflo 5.7) now runs continuously and while it is pumping some water, it is not enough to flush the head.

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you've got a leak somewhere if the pump isn't shutting off. The leak can be that the water is circulating back to the fresh water tank if the valve to fill the tank isn't in the correct position or you actually have a real leak.

A good possiblity if you don't see water running anywhere it shouldn't be is that the leak is within the pump itself. These pumps are diaphragm pumps and the diaphragm itself may be leaking allowing the pressure to recirculate within the pump.

Here's pump diagram with the part number of the rebuild kit incase you need the diaphragm.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John, I had a similiar problem and discovered that I left the control knob for filling the holding tank in the sewer bay in the fill position versus the normal operation.. You might check that. Another reason the pump continues to run is when the holding tank is low on water. Hope this helps.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John ...

My pump will run continuously and no water will be available at any faucet if I leave the fill valve in the water / power bay in the "FILL" position instead of the "SUPPLY" position.

I can shut the pump off with the switch ... I have done this more than once ... it took me several minutes the first time this occured for me to track down the my error

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my 05 Vectra. When connected to shore/city water, my freshwater tank was filling up and the water pump would run if activated. First, I replaced the 2-Way valve for City/Supply fill. I had read on some posts that this valve could cause leakage because of defective manufacturing. This did not solve the problem. Lastly, I replace the 5.7 "Smart" Sensor ShurFlo (under warranty at the time) and SUCESS! If I have the problem again, I will rebuild the pump like Joe-K suggests.

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Here is the status:

-About 1/2 tank of fresh water
-Fill/Normal valve in normal
-External shower is turned off
-Winterize valve in normal position
-Pump will run with no faucet open
-Pump always would (from day 1) run with Fill/Normal valve in fill position and pump switch in on position

I'm thinking leak somewhere or defective pump?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hope you find the answer John, my Sureflo will come on when I activate water flow, but sometimes it just keeps running after turning the water flow off. It has run as long as 5-8 minutes before we noticed it. As soon as I hit the pump's off switch, I can immediately turn it back on at the same switch and it then stays off. Next time I turn the pump on, everything works fine.

All times fill/normal valve is in correct position

Seems to be some kind of sensing failure at the pump itself. (pressure not being sensed/detected??)

Watching with great interest-----

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mine started running like yours last fall and I called Shurflo and they had me send them the pump and they sent me a new one back. No problems since. The water pump has a 3 year warranty.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi John,
Same problem turned out to be a defective city water/tank fill valve. Pull it apart to see if the silicon valve and plastic fingers are in good shape and not bent. I swapped the innerds of the valve and the handle with those pieces from the new valve, easy to do, and made sure it was lubricated (not the heftiest design).

Turning the valve under pressure seems to be the culprit for failure.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Mark - good thing for me to try. I'll give that a shot tomorrow and will let everybody know.

THanks again all!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Had the problem once a few months ago after I had run the tank nearly dry ...even after I filled the tank the pump ran continuously. On close examination, I discovered there was air in the extreme filter. I turnd the pump off and then back on a couple of times and after it re-primed and got the air out it has been fine since.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, John, I've had 3 bad 5.7s & only 2 of them kept running. They were leaking out of the electrical connection (I'm assuming it was were the sensor is). I bought them at CW & they were very gracious in giving me a replacement. This time I made sure the pump was manufactured this year (06) & all is well since early spring. I think they;ve had some problems with them. I kept my old pump & it came in handy. I really like the 5.7 when it works & this one is working longer than any of the others. One was only in 5 minures.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I had my 5.7 replaced at the FMCA convention by the factory rep for symptom of pump running after faucet,etc. was turned off. He advised old design had problems with pump controller. The new one now stops when supposed to and seems to be stronger when on.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

John,

We both know from our boat lives - there are really only 2 things that make this happen. One is that there is a leak or water flow somewhere down stream of the pump keeping pressure from building up on the sensor switch or - two - the pressure switch is bad.

Hope the switch is bad because the alternative could be troublesome to locate if it is not obvious.

Goodluck and let us know.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Adrian - so true. On the boat I always had two rebuild kits and a manual foot pump as an additional backup. How well I remember my days of leaning over the engine to work on different things. The water pump got rebuilt at least once a year.

I know lots of people have had trouble with the 5.7 pump and I was counting my self lucky that it didn't include me Oh well...

I'll start troubleshooting (with tools this time) this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I can second what Ruppr said. Had the exact scenario he described. The 5.7 pump was replaced under warranty because of defect.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

i just replaced my 5.7 pump ..the water pressure was changing from slow to fast and continued....also the pump was getting louder...called shurflow and they said it was bad ...went to the closest dealer near me at the time and I had to beg the dealer to change it...they didn't believe me at first ...then after the new pump went in it ran perfect. the dealer thought it was the hot water backflow valve of some type.

looks like a lot of bad shurflo pumps out there!
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Master