Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just received my KONI FSD Shocks on Wednesday, purchased on line for $509.00 free shipping. Have made arrangements with local Truck Tire service to install my shocks for $100.00 (25ea) on Tuesday next week.

Looking forward to the improved ride as testified to on iRV2 forums.

The original shocks have 33,000 miles and are 5 years old, on my 2002 F53 Ford chassis.

Looking forward to posting my satisfaction report.....

Now for the baseplate and wiring on the new "toad" 2008 HHR to be installed December 4th and we will be ready to travel.

Bob
Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just received my KONI FSD Shocks on Wednesday, purchased on line for $509.00 free shipping. Have made arrangements with local Truck Tire service to install my shocks for $100.00 (25ea) on Tuesday next week.

Looking forward to the improved ride as testified to on iRV2 forums.

The original shocks have 33,000 miles and are 5 years old, on my 2002 F53 Ford chassis.

Looking forward to posting my satisfaction report.....

Now for the baseplate and wiring on the new "toad" 2008 HHR to be installed December 4th and we will be ready to travel.

Bob
Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob and Pat,

I see you are from the o'l neighborhood! 1962 Graduate of Algonac High School.

We think the new KNOI FDS shocks helped the ride a lot. Let us know how you like them.

We are leaving Tuesday for a 5 month trip to give them a good workout along with new Goodyear G670's.

Have a good winter.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Koni's do a fine job for me and I got them installed for the same price as you...Take it for a long test drive and give us a report.
Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi John,
I moved here in 1986, bought the canal lot in 84 built the house in 85, moved from Plymouth, MI. Nice area here, best place to live for boating and fishing, you feel like your on vacation all the time. Graduated 1963 Bentley High School Livonia, MI. We will travel to Fl for 4 months in January. Enjoy your trip.
Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ichn2go,
It was your posts along with the others on this forum that convinced to buy the Koni's.

We have some good examples of "bad" roads here in Michigan to test drive the shocks on.

Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Very intersted to hear about your results on your Sightseer. My first thought is to put on a rear sway bar then new shocks. The wind & semi push is getting very annoying, but the side to side roll is just about there as well.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Y-Guy, I think you are absolutely correct on a 07 coach.
.However BOB&PAT have a 03 coach and with four years on the shocks I think he is correct in going with shocks first, especially the Koni's. There are many posts about putting shocks on newer rigs tho and how much they have helped. The trac bar is what I will add next if needed, but so far so good...Happy Miles
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

First test drive home.

As previously mentioned we have some real bad roads here in Michigan. The first stretch about five miles or so has so many bumps its like a washboard. With the bumps I could tell it was improved however had to remind myself not to have expectations of a ride like a luxury sedan. First reaction was that the ride on washboard was improved but not as good as I had expected. I must repeat this five-mile stretch is in really-really in poor condition.

Now it is a windy day today and we went to pick up the motorhome. I drove the GMC Yukon XL and commented to Pat that it is really windy. I had to over steer the Yukon a little to stay in my lane.

What was surprising was the much-improved control of the motorhome with the windy conditions, no rocking side-to-side from the wind. The road we travel to get home has about a seven-mile stretch around the lake and the wind is really strong coming of the lake today.

The sections of the road with dips that would normally trigger a side-to-side roll, the side-to-side roll did not happen, the control was exceptional. Turning a corner felt real good seems like a lot more control on the turns.

Pat followed the motorhome home driving the Yukon. She commented that she noticed the motorhome was not rocking side to side as she noticed previously when following the motorhome.

This was just a 15mile trip home from the Blue Water Tire Service that installed the Koni's. Pat and I will take it for a longer ride tomorrow and report.

I believe we will be very happy with the $609.00 investment in the Koni's.

Our 2003 Itasca Sunrise has a 2002 F-53 Ford Chassis and was built about one month before Ford made the change to Bilsteins not even sure what brand of shock Ford used before the Bilsteins but that is what we had. Was tempted to change to the Bilsteins in 2005 however with my procrastination I found many people have been changing the Bilsteins for the Koni's. So it looks like this time my procrastination paid off.

Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hey, B&P, sounds as if the Koni's are doing a job for you..Nothing short of air suspension is going to take the BAD bumps out of a road and then they can still be felt if really bad.

Check the seams in the road, I found that the bump was smoothed out a lot with the new shocks.
Don't seem to get as much thump,thump,thump.
Turning corners and the sway is definetly much better. Be sure you have the correct air pressure in your tires as this also will make a big difference.

At a Rally I recently agonized about adding Safe T Plus. Would it really make that much difference??? Yes it did and I was glad I spent the money..No more fighting the wheel as it tracks straight down the highway..Find myself staying in the lane more and not moving to the right and the rumble strip..Might want to consider when the time is right...Good miles and take care
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Good Post Bob: You told me enough to cause me to make the change to Koni's. It's those little every day details that tell me what is working and what is not and how well.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Bob. I have the bilstein shocks and handling is good but they are rather stiff. Even with correct tire pressure big bumps are felt. Went to Alaska this year and sometimes MH felt it would fall off chassis. Roads are supper bad.

I'm itching to install Koni's but can't justify it just yet. I only have 17,000 mi. and they are still new. Next year
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Second test ride with Pat along for the ride. It was about 45 miles total.

Windy conditions were about the same as yesterday maybe just a little stronger. On the Lake were white caps splashing onto the shore and the color of the water was brown from being all churned up. It is usually that pretty aqua blue color.

Pat's first test was to walk around in the motorhome as we drove down our street her first comment was it is a lot better, less rocking. She also got up again after several miles when I was driving about 45 on a two lane highway she said "this is wonderful much better that it was before".

As mentioned in the previous post the control with the high winds was exceptional. Pat also agreed because those cross winds would rock us pretty good before the Koni shocks.

We took a route that includes crossing some railroad tracks. We obviously felt the track but the control was a big improvement from before. Turned around the divided highway and crossed the tracks again. Next we got onto I-94 east bound for several miles. I stayed in the right lane at about 60mph so that the Semi-Trucks would pass us at about 70mph and did not feel that strong sucking sensation I used feel when trucks passed.

Rounding corners, curves and turning amazes me, the difference in handling it is remarkable.

We turned into Kohl's parking lot and into Kmart's parking lot with no side to side roll it's great. Pat had to put a little dent into the Christmas shopping.

Pat's neck surgery Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion, at level C5, C6 and C7 "ACDF" with titanium plate and 6 screws. Prompted me to purchase the shocks and the new "toad" Chevrolet HHR better ride, ease of access getting in and out (the Sunfire was getting more difficult you had to fall into it and climb out). She is 10 weeks post op and wears the neck brace just when we are out driving just for protection in case of quick stop or accident. With her increased sensitivity she thought the ride of the motorhome was great, very much improved from the old ride.

About tire pressure, I usually run 80psi in all six tires they were 80psi in October when it was still warm, however with the cold temp in the 30's all the tires were at 76psi "cold". Will get out the air compressor and bring them up to 80psi again.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Have been following your testing of the Koni shocks with much interest. I talked to a place in Palm Springs which was recommended to us and they want $989.00 for four Koni FSD's installed. What do you think of that price. It almost floored me. Looked up our repair folder and found out we spent $905 on Bilstein's in 04. Hate to spend more on shocks but our ride in our 98 Chieftain is really bumpy and rolling. I wonder if the Koni's would really make a huge difference. Thanks for your opinions.

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

A bunch of folks on the irv2.com Alpine forum made a deal with a vendor in California for $110 ea + shipping. From what I've read it's the best price going.

Since the Alpine forum and the Winnebago forum are both part of irv2.com, I would think Winnie owners could get in on the deal as well.

Here is the information to the link.

Let us know if you order them. Sounds like you will have to move fast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Glenn, the first price I received was from a large Truck and RV service company $593.60 for Koni shocks and $194.00 labor for a total of $787.60.

Purchased online for $509.00 for Koni shocks and $100.00 labor at a Truck Tire Service total $609.00.

Check around with local tire dealers that install shocks and simply ask what they would charge to install your shocks if you furnish the Koni's.

I am having my baseplate and the "toad" wiring at a smaller RV service location and I am furnishing the baseplate I purchased on line for $289.50 total. He quoted me $419.76 for the baseplate, I asked if he was still interested in the job if I furnished the baseplate and he said yes. He also said the price I was able to purchase it for was about his cost, but he was willing to install the baseplate for the same labor charge of $240.00 and the wiring was $150.00 including him furnishing wire, diodes and all parts.

It is negotiation, be upfront with the facts and I find many dealers are willing to work with you. If they are not move on to the next one.

I did have the service dealers lined up prior to my online orders.

I find that prices are all over the board every time I shop around. It was always that way in business when I was working.

Bob
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just drove 1200 miles on the new Koni shocks. Pat handled the ride very well.. The shocks really make a difference especially with high winds and they do smooth out the bumps in the road.

Drive Tuesday the 8th was with high wind with gusts to 50mph and heavy rain through Ohio, Kentucky and into Tennessee. We arrived at the Knoxville, TN Wal-Mart at about midnight. The next day was a pleasant drive from Knoxville to Ocala, FL. Thursday was just another two hours to Haines City, FL.

Reset the tire pressure in Ocala it was up to 90psi, it was 85psi when we left in the cold. Let out some air to reset to 85.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #18

Lots of us have bought the Koni's from shocks.com where the price was the cheapest. Local installation was $150 for the four.

We installed the Koni FSD's on our coach at approx. 5000 miles, and threw the virtually new Bilsteens in the trash. This is one of the best things we have done to our coach as now, you cant hardly feel the tar strips on the highways now.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I agree with FrontRanger, Shox.com is where I found the best price. Paid $25.00 each to have them installed..
Everyone who uses the Koni FSD, seems to be totally satisfied. DriVer has quite a article on why they perform so well. Do a search and I know you will find it...Good Miles
Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I too just had Koni FSD's installed on my 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 33V. The new Koni's really changed the way the rig handles. The porpoising (SP) has all but vanished. What a welcome relieve. I am so glad, that after reading all these posts that I made the plunge. Thanks once again for some valuable information. This is a great forum, for a great coach and I really enjoy all the feedback you all give each other.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote