Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kitchen Aid water fitting replacement?

- 2013 Journey 36M
- Kitchen Aid residential fridge with ice maker and cold water dispenser
- pics attached

Question - do I have to pull the fridge to get to this component? Or, can I remove the sheet metal panel through the exterior access door? Or, can I disassemble the freezer compartment from the inside?

I just finished flushing our lines after a few days on the road and then I installed new filters on the main water line, the sink and the cold water dispenser inside the fridge. When I turned the water back on to purge the air from the filters, I had no flow from the cold water dispenser in the fridge. Well, that was until the water started to flow from underneath the cabinets!!! :bang head:

I have access to the rear of the fridge through a locked panel outside. Apparently, the green / blue plastic fitting in the attached photo froze and split badly. I drained the fridge line but apparently didn't get any antifreeze into this fitting. I'm thinking there is a solenoid on the other side of the sheet metal for dispensing cold water and I probably didn't have this in the open position when winterizing. Live and learn the hard way… again.

Hoping someone can help me avoid heading in the wrong direction here.

cheers,
Joopy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	54823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	54824  

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Jupiter... I do believe that is a common part... if you were here in Louisville I would tell you to go to Marcone Appliance Parts and give them the refig model #. But you might want to mail order one. Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Since 1999
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the link, Craig. I will certainly check it out. However, my biggest concern is access to replace the part. I was hoping someone else may have had to access the same backside location and can tell me if I have to pull the fridge or not.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

What model frig do you have?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Craig, my Kitchen Aid model number is KBFS20EV. I'll start searching for an online diagram.

thanks again.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to a good picture of the valve. My gut feeling is you will have to pull the unit and go in from the bottom to get to the valve.
KBFS20EV Parts List
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Jupitor ...I have not ever replaced a water valve on an RV installed frig... but from your photo....I think that you can manage to do it thru the vent by perhaps pulling the frig forward 6 inches or less. That metal panel has several 1/4 or 5/16 self tapping hex head screws and the water valve is held in place by either 1 or 2 screws. The hoses and wire harness are easy to remove. I would try it thru the vent cover first then and only if I got too frustrated... move to remove frig. Personally I hate pulling a frig.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mission accomplished!! Received the part Fedex in 3 days to the campground. The toughest part of the install was removing the hex screws in the rear fridge panel through the small external access panel. Replacing the $70 dual solenoid assembly only took about 2 minutes once the rear panel was removed. I was SOOooo glad I didn't have to pull the fridge!

I now have ice and cold water Thanks to all for the feedback.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

GREAT!!!!!
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Glad you did it yourself....Question.... What will you now do , knowing that the valve needs protection from cold freezing temperatures to keep it from freezing and bursting again?

I have a suggestion.... small quartz light that you place in the compartment area behind the frig during storage.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Actually, next year I will follow the manufacturer suggestion and use a second person to hold the solenoid valve open while I "pump" anti-freeze solution through the valve and ice maker. Simple to do….when you follow written instruction
Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Jupiter,
Now that you have solved this; I have a another question for you. Do you find the ice cubes "small" in this unit?? Mine are half the size of my ice cubes from home.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, they're about the same size as our previous Journey. And yes, I would say that they are slightly smaller than our home ice cubes, but not by much. But it sure does pump out the cubes.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

DENGRAHM: small ice cubes are due to these possibilities:
1. low water pressure
2. Ice buildup in the water inlet tube (above the ice maker)
3. Grit and dirt on the water inlet valve filter screen (little brass screen on water valve

The making of an icecube is a timed water valve open event. A minimum of 10PSI is needed to bring water into the icemaker....I think from my old appliance repair days at GE.....we wanted 25PSI to make a healthy cube. But grit....water pressure or ice build up were the big things we looked for.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

The ice maker stopped working in our 2006 Suncruiser. I do remember thinking that the cube size was a little small.
Found the same ice maker at Lowes and when I removed the old one it had an unbelievable amount of hard water build up.
The new ice size was larger.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm,
Can I take it apart from the inside?? It is only a 2013 model with the ice maker in the bottom freezer compartment. Do I have to pull the refrigerator. Is there a setting for how long the water runs?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
DENGRAHM: small ice cubes are due to these possibilities:
1. low water pressure
2. Ice buildup in the water inlet tube (above the ice maker)
3. Grit and dirt on the water inlet valve filter screen (little brass screen on water valve

The making of an icecube is a timed water valve open event. A minimum of 10PSI is needed to bring water into the icemaker....I think from my old appliance repair days at GE.....we wanted 25PSI to make a healthy cube. But grit....water pressure or ice build up were the big things we looked for.
Hi Craig,

Sounds like you're a knowledgable fellow on appliance repair.

Would you be so kind as to help me troubleshoot another fridge problem? As you can see from my original post, I have a Kitchen Aid with lower freezer. After I replaced the damaged water valve, the water dispenser and the ice maker worked fine (full bin of ice). But, a day or two later I found water on the floor in front of the fridge. There was also a puddle of ice on the floor of the freezer. Before freezing, water apparently leaked out of the front corner of there freezer door onto the floor. I can't tell where the water is coming from, so I valved off the water to the fridge. A few days later… same thing. A small puddle of water on the floor and a now larger puddle of ice on the freezer floor. Then, with water still valved off, just now I had another puddle on the floor and larger ice puddle in the freezer.

I think I can rule out another frozen part somewhere in the water supply because the water has been off for nearly 10 days. Now I'm thinking it may be related to the defrost cycle??? And that it may not properly draining into the pan? I'm really trying to avoid unbolting the unit and pulling it out of the cavity. And I don't want to lose my fridge/freezer function if I can help it. Can you (or anyone else) provide any insight as to what I can do to identify and correct the problem?

Much appreciated!
Joopy
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Jupiter. Your issue of water. I am no expert, but have you checked to see if there is a blocked condensate drain orifice (if there is one)in the fridge or freezer. I'm presuming that this is a domestic type fridge/freezer? If it has automatic defrost and the drain is blocked this could cause your problem.
Hitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Hitchin,

You nailed it. The problem was a blocked drain in the condensate pan. I disassembled a few parts and then carefully cleared the drain with a hair dryer and a wire.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Mission accomplished!! Received the part Fedex in 3 days to the campground. The toughest part of the install was removing the hex screws in the rear fridge panel through the small external access panel. Replacing the $70 dual solenoid assembly only took about 2 minutes once the rear panel was removed. I was SOOooo glad I didn't have to pull the fridge!

I now have ice and cold water Thanks to all for the feedback.

cheers,
Joopy
Were you able to replace the valve without moving the refrigerator back? I believe we have the same problem with a new 2013 36M.
Thank You
kdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, water