Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Horizon water leak

Hello
I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD motorhome. Water is leaking on to carpet on left underside of bed as you face it from foot. We have to bring in our bedroom slide everytime it rains to prevent the carpet from getting drenched.

Last year Winnebago FS worked on this problem 4 separate times over a 30 day period. Each time they repaired the leak and then ran a water test, and said the leak was fixed, but each time it rained the leak would return. They replaced all gaskets around the slide. They also replaced the small half circle shaped plastic overflow tube under the bed that catches water coming in under the exterior slide room, were the slide mechanism runs the slide in and out. I believe the 1/2 tube fills up with water then overflows out on to the carpet. They did caulk the tube at both ends so the water couldn't run out the ends. I think it runs out the left side of the bed , because the motorhome usually sits slightly higher in the front instead of the rear.

Winnebago FS and myself have done a lot of exterior caulking around the whole area of the bedroom.

Thanks for your help in advance!
hawk6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Horizon leak

I had the same issue even though I have the 40KD floor plan. Nothing worked until I had the slide topper replaced and realized the original was too short and the original was not the one called for in the parts list. My new topper is about 4 inches wider and the problem has gone away. Seems the shorter one often allowed water to run down the outside of the slide and it somehow found a way in.

Two years and still dry!
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Roy
Just to confirm, the slide topper you refer to is the awning that goes out with the slide and is above the slide?

Thank you for your response Roy!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, It was only a fraction wider then the slideout Now it is 1 inch wider on both ends.

Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just arrived at Winnebago FS and checked several MH slide toppers.
90% are 1" - 2" wider than the slide room. My slide topper is even or slightly short of the slide edge. I think this might be my problem, because Winnebago tech told me last year that at the top of the seals were they fold over the corners is were water can get in. By having a wider slide topper right above those folding corners might prevent the rain water from getting into the seal, thus leaking on to carpet. I'm talking to Winnebago S/A tomorrow, and will post his opinion.

Thanks again Roy!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The problem is the trim and gasket along the bottom. The original one did not have the proper bend in it and the water ran in to the motorhome and not out. The new replacement fixed the problem on my meridian and a friends Vectra.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Mike & Pat for your comments!

Winnebago did replace all gaskets around bedroom slide, including bottom gasket and inside drip trough. It still leaks water after all that.

I'm not sure what trim peace your referring to.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Roy
I did discuss slide toppers with the Tech. He was not aware of the wider slide topper solving the water leak problem, but he hasn't started working on the problem yet. He did say the original toppers on older motorhomes were made to fit to the edge of slides. Customers complained the toppers should extend past the slide edge. Later model toppers were made wider.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It was the bottom one with the trough. Sorry that didn't work. Mine hasn't leaked since.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mike and Pat
What exactly do you mean proper bend? What did they bend?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

the original piece had the trough that went into the coach the new one had the trough that drained the water outside the coach. The trough is the bend i was referring to. I was able to change out the piece in less than an hour myself.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'll discuss trough Monday with Tech.

Thanks again Mike and Pat¡

Tags
itasca, leak, water, water leak