Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Installing a washer dryer in a Horizon 36LD

Hi,

I want to install a w/d in my MH. It is already prepared for a W/D. I can see the faucets and the electrical outlet in the cabinet. I don't see any drain for the water. Do I have to remove the backing of the cabinet where the washer is going? Anyone had that situation before?

Thanks
Yves
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry I dont know about your Winnie but don't forget to plan for a dryer vent, most have to be drilled into the exterior wall.
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My installed a washer dryer in my 2000 Horizon about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I do not remember where the drain was located however the drain was there. I did have to drill a hole in the side of the coach matching where the vent exited from the dryer. If you still can't find the drain let me know and I will have a look at mine and lost the results.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I noticed some screws on the back panel. I will try to remove them and see if the panel can be pulled. Hopefully this will work and I will be able to locate the drain. As for the vent, there is none currently so I will have install one.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Go to Winnebago resources and download the plumbing diagram. It should show how and where the lines are.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 Meridian and installed a washer dryer combo. Mine was located in the bathroom. I had to remove the shelves and then the back of the cabinet. At first I only saw the drain line without the p trap. After a closer inspection I found the p trap strapped farther down the pipe. Good luck.
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Did you leave the back panel out after installing the w/d combo?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When I installed mine last year, I left the back panel of the bathroom cabinet off so I could install the exhaust vent pipe to the outside wall and it also allowed me to put the drain hose directly in the drain pipe. Also, by removing all three drawers from the bedroom chest of drawers (in my 36G unit those three drawers are directly behind the washer dryer location) giving me good access to the back of my combo washer/dryer to help install things. It also allowed me to see wiring, hoses, etc and make sure nothing was rubbing against anything. Then I just put the drawers back in when I had completed the installation. Looking through the back side also allows you to check for any leaks in the future, just open one or two of the drawers completely and shine a flashlight in to check on things.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I put my back in. I figured if I had to take the washer out for a problem then taking the back off wouldn't be a problem. I can also remove my drawers and check for leaks. I didn't want to store the back some where.
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I finally removed the panel and was able to locate the drain. I still have to install the vent and make sure I am between studs before cutting a hole. Thank you all for your comments.

Yves
Old 02-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi26 View Post
I finally removed the panel and was able to locate the drain. I still have to install the vent and make sure I am between studs before cutting a hole. Thank you all for your comments.

Yves
If you contact Winnebago they can probably provide you with the plans for that section of the sidewall and probably even tell you where they would put the vent themselves.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

When I installed the exhaust vent on my Journey, I looked at the outside wall of the RV from the inside, behind that panel that you removed. My recollection was that the spot for the exhaust vent, while not actually marked, it seemed pretty apparent to me that it was the spot where the factory would have cut large hole in the exterior wall. I also used rigid aluminum tubing for the venting and 90 degree elbow turns so as not to have any problems with flexible tubing. I was able to use aluminum tape to seal all the connections in the exhaust venting.

I had never drilled a hole in any fiberglass before, so I found a couple of videos on You Tube and watched them. Most of the videos were drilling into boats, but the approach is really the same.

I first located where the hole should be cut in the wall by looking on the inside. I then measured the distance vertically and horizontally from the bathroom window to the center of the hole on the inside. I then went outside and marked off those measurements to make sure I was not going to have a hole and vent cover in a bad spot.

Once I was sure that the marked location would be fine, I started by first drilling a pilot center hole (in the proper spot, using a drill bill slightly smaller than the pilot bit in the large hole bit) from inside the RV until it broke thru to the outside. I did this because I did not want to drill a 4 inch hole thru the wall from the outside based solely on my ability to measure distance.

Once I had the pilot hole done, I covered the exterior spot with masking tape covering a spot larger then the hole needed so that chipping of the fiberglass by the 4 inch hole bit would hopefully be minimized. When I actually drilled the large hole, I used very little pressure on the drill and let the hole cutter do its job and sorta slowly wear away the exterior fiberglass panel, then let it cut through the rest of the wall (wood panel and foam sideway material). In the end, it turned out to be an easier job than I thought it would be, but it being the first time making such a large hole in the side of the RV, it made me think twice about doing it myself. The ease with which the folks in the You Tube video make the holes gave me the confidence to go ahead and do the job myself.

Just make sure you use sufficient sealant on everything went putting the vent cover, etc. into the wall to avoid any future water leaks from the exterior.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for this info.

Tags
install