Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Our hot water suddenly stopped flowing. Thanks to this forum I learned that many Winnie owners had the same problem with the hot water tank check valves. Once I located and removed the check valve I found it had plastic internal parts that had broken. See photo of plastic part with missing retainer.

My coach is an 2005 Itasca 40 AD manufactured in July of 2004. I understand that later models may have the better brass check valves. Earlier models have the plastic check valves.

If you have not replaced your check valves on your coach you may want to have the necessary tools on hand just in case. The check valve resquires a 1 inch wrench, preferably a ratchet wrench, see photo.

On my coach there was an access door under the motor home and towards the back side of the hot water heater. Once this door was removed I could remove the plastic water pipe nut with pliers. I then had to go to Sears and purchase a 1 inch ratchet wrench. This was the only tool with sufficient torque to loosen the defective check valve in the small space. Once removed, I gutted the valve of its defective parts and re-installed it. Its only purpose of the valve is to keep anti-freeze out of the hot water heater when winterizing. Since I blow out my lines, I did not need the check valve.

Now that the gutted valve is re-installed, I have hot water again.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Our hot water suddenly stopped flowing. Thanks to this forum I learned that many Winnie owners had the same problem with the hot water tank check valves. Once I located and removed the check valve I found it had plastic internal parts that had broken. See photo of plastic part with missing retainer.

My coach is an 2005 Itasca 40 AD manufactured in July of 2004. I understand that later models may have the better brass check valves. Earlier models have the plastic check valves.

If you have not replaced your check valves on your coach you may want to have the necessary tools on hand just in case. The check valve resquires a 1 inch wrench, preferably a ratchet wrench, see photo.

On my coach there was an access door under the motor home and towards the back side of the hot water heater. Once this door was removed I could remove the plastic water pipe nut with pliers. I then had to go to Sears and purchase a 1 inch ratchet wrench. This was the only tool with sufficient torque to loosen the defective check valve in the small space. Once removed, I gutted the valve of its defective parts and re-installed it. Its only purpose of the valve is to keep anti-freeze out of the hot water heater when winterizing. Since I blow out my lines, I did not need the check valve.

Now that the gutted valve is re-installed, I have hot water again.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Nice pics LK23! And good write-up.
You're fortunate to have an access panel to the back side of the water heater. I have to undo a lot of plumbing, water pump, and completely pull the water heater out of the compartment to get access to the back on mine. It's been two years and I'm still procrastinating that job! LOL!
I too use air pressure to blow out the lines for winterizing.
Enjoy.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Great job with the write-up.

Knock on wood, our check valve hasn't acted up yet. It's waiting for a day when were parked on a muddy site in the middle of a rainstorm to break, but when it does, we'll know the fix now.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

LK23: Thanks for the great post with pictures. This is useful information most of us can use or will use at some point. Well done.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the documentation of the problem Rex! Now I wonder if I have the plastic or brass version

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the pictures and description of the repair. I'm a visual person and do much better when I can see the problem and know what to look for. We have not had a problem...yet...but now I'll know how to fix it if we do.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
Thanks for the pictures and description of the repair. I'm a visual person and do much better when I can see the problem and know what to look for. We have not had a problem...yet...but now I'll know how to fix it if we do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenda, you and I will call Lou....right?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Glenda, you and I will call Lou....right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got it ! We have him on speed dial !
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the great post!

Now I have to wonder which valves we have in
our 04 40AD

What is "winterizing" ? I dont think we've
had a winter in Florida in centuries.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:

What is "winterizing" ? I dont think we've
had a winter in Florida in centuries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT FUNNY Sam.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NOT FUNNY Sam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops.... sorry about that!

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
LK23: Thanks for the great post with pictures. This is useful information most of us can use or will use at some point. Well done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey homer, I don't think we have the check valve in our piping. Least I haven't found it yet.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:
--snip--What is "winterizing" ? I dont think we've
had a winter in Florida in centuries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My idea of winterizing is to put on a sweater and avoid shorts

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My idea of winterizing is to put on a sweater and avoid shorts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always tell the residents from the tourists here.... at 60 degrees (yes, it does plummet down as low as 60 sometimes) you see the residents walking around in jeans & sweaters - and the tourists are in shorts and T-shirts. It gives them away every time!!!

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

BOBPIE: I think that is the 64K question where is it in our rigs. I understand you pretty well have to pull the W/H to get to them. I think I hear mine singing occasionally. Today I heard my motor aid heat fan break into full chorus, dry bearing, can't reach it easy either. RV having fun yet???
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I thought the southern version of "Winterizing" was packing up and running from hurricanes.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I have a "Winterizing" switch on my One Place control panel. I just move it from "cool" to "heat".
Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

LK23....I had the same problem and symptoms on my 02 Journey....I traced the lines and found there are 2 check valves serving the water heater...One is the one you found broken (me too) and the other was in the back of the water cabinet where the city fill is...Each check valve serves to limit flow in an opposite direction for winterizing purposes.
I removed the one at the tank completely and everything has functioned well...I have not winterized yet...I don't know if the check valve at the tank feeds water in or out of the tank..if it was supposed to limit in flow, some of the anti freeze will enter the tank upo winterizing...It is easy to disconnect both the in and out lines in the main water cabinet and bypass the heater completely if the auto winterizing system feeds anti freeze into the tank.
I plan to bypass the auto system and put manual shutoff valves in each line..Hope this sheds some light...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

You guys are the greatest. Was camping this weekend lost hot water pressure. Took out the guts of the check valve put it back in and everything is working great. So just to check the bottom check valve is just for winterizing?
jd5068 is offline   Reply With Quote