Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Team

Ice maker line leaking inside coach

I was finding water inside the coach and could not find the source. Finally, I went outside and opened the lower opening of the refrigerator and found a leak where the water line connects to the frig. It had filled the bottom with water and it was leaking into the coach. I always thought this area was sealed from the inside of the coach, but the water found a way in. I think I have the leak fixed and I'm monitoring closely. Anyone else experience this and anything else I should be aware of? I don't see any damage to the floor or slide or frig.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with my 2010 Winnebago 40' Tour. I never used the ice maker so I just capped off the supply line. Fortunately it didn't spread to the interior of the coach just the water tray that was accessible from the panel on the exterior of the coach. Last summer while at an RV park, a lady in her 80's asked me to help as she had a water leak in her Country Coach. Same thing as what you and I experienced. Did the same thing, capped off the line as she had a remote ice maker that she only used with bottled water.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I was finding water inside the coach and could not find the source. Finally, I went outside and opened the lower opening of the refrigerator and found a leak where the water line connects to the frig. It had filled the bottom with water and it was leaking into the coach. I always thought this area was sealed from the inside of the coach, but the water found a way in. I think I have the leak fixed and I'm monitoring closely. Anyone else experience this and anything else I should be aware of? I don't see any damage to the floor or slide or frig.
Yes same issue with my 09 Tour...wife noticed the carpet was wet in front of the refrigerator...pulled the outside lower opening for the refrigerator and there was like 1" of water! It had been raining and I thought maybe water somehow got into that space....we only had the MH for a few days...I have a drain in the bottom of the pan but that was plugged up. What I found was the ice maker line had pulled out of the refrigerator...I had to access it through the outer upper refrigerator opening and removed some sheet metal and the line was just laying there...plugged it back in and made sure it would not come out and all is good...ice cubes a plenty!!! BTW I installed a RO system under the kitchen sink and the ice/water line to the refrigerator is fed by that...nice looking/tasting ice
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is a common occurrence when the ice-maker line is not properly winterized, especially the water valve.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Lucky you- We were parked at Lake Almanor years ago with our 30' 5ver. Hooked up happily to city water and campground power. Went off to town, came back and as we pulled up I saw water pouring out from under the fiver!.

I Donned my snorkel, mask and fins, and, after all the fish poured out from me opening the door (poetic license, here), I found that the icemaker water line had pulled out of the undersink water filter.

Culprit; they supported the waterline as it made its way across the rear cabinets and under sink by using stick on zip tie pads! The adhesive gave way, the line sagged and pulled out of the water filter! Some screws fixed that, and towels fixed the rest. Never let your guard down!!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Ice maker line leaking inside coach

Since I have a new RV and live near the CA coast, winterizing isn’t an issue. I appreciate hearing the experience of others. I am hoping to continue using the ice maker, so I’ll monitor it closely over our July 4th camping trip to Monterey. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Site Team

cruzbill, glad you still have your sense of humor about it! It will take awhile for me! :-)
Old 07-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Macnut, there is a rubber hose washer in the line coming to the outside back of the refrig/icemaker. I replace that washer every year when I reconnect the line while de-winterizing. I actually tie the washer to the kitchen faucet with a wire-tie so that it reminds me in the spring that the icemaker isn't connected.
Steve
Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Great idea, Ramzfan! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yup, one day noticed carpet near the refrigerator was wet. Opened the outside access hatch and found a dripping connector to the ice maker. Snugged it up and no more leak. Ran electric fan for a couple days to dry out the carpet. Luckily no lasting damage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Good to hear! I’m feeling much better about the leak. After re-tightening, I have had no leaking the whole July 4th weekend trip!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had the same leak. Took out the fridge and found the water line was just hanging there. The compression fitting was attached to the hard plastic line but nothing was attached to the actual water line. It was only manually pushed in place nothing actually connected it to the Ice maker. It came loose after a year and was an easy fix..... should of been installed better at the factory.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Site Team

I agree. These things should be double-checked at the factory. Glad it was an easy fix for you!

Tags
leak