Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a ShurFlo 5.7 water pump that makes a racket when running. How can I quiet it?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a ShurFlo 5.7 water pump that makes a racket when running. How can I quiet it?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There are several things you can do. One is to replace it with a quieter pump. Another is to mount it to a rubber pad to absorb it's vibrations. You can also install an accumulator tank to reduce the freqency of the pumping.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Which pumps are quieter?
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had the same noise problem with my water pump. I installed longer hoses in front and back of the pump with two coiled loops each in them. This illuminates the ability for the pump to transfer vibration noise down the line. Additional I suspended the pooped hoses as such that they don't touch any other water lines or walls/panels. It made a big difference. I can hardly hear the pump run inside the coach.

It only creates one problem, which is when the pump draws air and won't shut off, I don't hear that anymore either. So I really have to watch the pump now.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

- make sure it is mounted on a solid surface (thick piece of woor rather than the metal wall of a compartment for instance)
- make sure the screws/bolts holding it down are not over-tightened and crushing the rubber feet
- install loops on the in and out lines like Harry describes
- ShurFlo also says to avoid using an "L" at the out flow connection ...make both IN and OUT tubing straight if possible

BTW -- ShurFlo recommends AGAINST using an accumulator tank with a variable speed pump like the 5.7, but my system already had an accumulator tank and I have noted no problems with it in the system.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Has the pump always been noisey? Could it be a problem with air in the lines? Sometimes, if I run my fresh water tank empty, there is quite a racket in the lines after refilling the tank. Otherwise, my 5.7 pump is pretty darn quiet.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
I have a ShurFlo 5.7 water pump that makes a racket when running. How can I quiet it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 5.7 and I can hardly hear it run. Mine is installed much like AFChap explains in his post. Hopefully you can quiet it down.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

When I complained about mine while I was at the factory, Winnebago installed a 1/2 inch thick piece of a felt like material and mounted the pump on that. Then they added some pipe insulation foam around the flexible hoses on the pump. Made a lot of difference but there is still some noise in the bathroom that seems to be due to the stiff tubes in the wall/floor that come from the pump.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I installed the ShurFlo noise reduction kit in two motor homes and it made a huge difference. For about $16, you can't go wrong.

I also installed an accumulator tank on the Winnebago and it helped a lot also.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I installed the ShurFlo noise reduction kit in two motor homes and it made a huge difference. For about $16, you can't go wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bruceh, where did you purchase the "ShurFlo noise reduction kit"?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I installed the ShurFlo noise reduction kit in two motor homes and it made a huge difference. For about $16, you can't go wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bruceh, where did you purchase the "ShurFlo noise reduction kit"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! I am sorry that I didn't see this sooner. I bought it at Camping World.

Having said that, the reason that I looked at this thread was to update my earlier post.

I just had a trip to Yosemite impacted by a leaking water hose that was part of the kit. For some reason, the shur-flo people use this hard plastic to seal and once it starts to leak, game over.

I have had three hoses go bad (two different motor homes) and am starting to look for a different solution.

The concept is great and the noise reduction is dramatic, especially in the Tioga which has hard plastic pipes. The idea is to de-link the water pump vibration from the hard pipes with a short length of flexible hose and it works wonderfully.

Today, I am going to Home Depot to see what I can do to replace the Shur-Flo hose.

CW instantly replaced the first set of hoses that went bad but when you are 100 miles from anything, that doesn't help a lot.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Bruce,

What is included in the Noise Reduction kit? I surely have looked at every item in Camping World and I have never seen this kit.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks, Bruce. It looks like RVUgrades stocks it as well: RV Water Pump Silencing Kit

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Bruce,

What is included in the Noise Reduction kit? I surely have looked at every item in Camping World and I have never seen this kit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, it is two 30" hoses with 1/2" female fittings on either end. It also includes a couple of fittings to adapt to female fittings (e.g. it is a male to male adaptor).

It is located with water pumps (hanging above in 2 CWs) and comes in a see through plastic bag.

I got frustrated with the leaking hose and bought a "Lasco Pro-Flex" hose with the same fittings but with rubber gaskets that should seal a lot better. I got the 48" hose and did two loops.

I couldn't find a hose long enough at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I hit a specialty hardware store and they had hoses up to 72" long.

On the Tioga, I had to relocate the water pump to get the clearance that I needed. This sounds much tougher than it really was (about 15 minutes effort).

The Winnebago took longer since I put an accumulator tank in at the same time.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have ordered the water pump silencing kit and plan to give it a try. A previous post mentioned an insulating material mounted under the pump. Does anyone know a source for this material, or other ideas for insulating the vibration of the pump?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I have ordered the water pump silencing kit and plan to give it a try. A previous post mentioned an insulating material mounted under the pump. Does anyone know a source for this material, or other ideas for insulating the vibration of the pump? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put rubber grommets under the water pump in the Tioga (it is mounted on the floor).

Just to be safe, I would recommend carrying a spare hose to avoid the problem of trying to find one in an odd place (like Yosemite).