Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

I sanitize mine once at the beginning of each season. I fill my 10' hose with bleach, and flush it into the tank. Then I attach my carbon filter and fill the tank till it overflows. Turn on the pump and run it into all the faucets, hoses, spigots, shower, water heater, etc and leave it over night. Next day, I dump the tank, and refill with carbon-filtered water. Run that through the faucets till no bleach smell, then dump the tank again. Refill once again with carbon-filtered water and go camping. I am on well water, and this method has worked great for me.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

As with RickO, we normally add water from our home chlorinated city water. In 27 years of motorhoming, never had to add bleach. I tried to once years ago, and my wife suggested strongly that I not do it. Of course, I didn't. No problems ever.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #43
Site Team

Mgtr, do you drink the water from the fresh water tank without further treatment?
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

We beach our tank once a year, we never drink from the tank.

I found this at a auto part store, it is part of a funnel set. The red end is just the right size to screws right on to a gallon beach bottle and the plastic tube go in the water gravity fill. I don't use it for anything else, I hear Mobil 5-20 tastes worst then beach
I hope you can see the picture clearly, it was taken on my patio table.

RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #45
Site Team

Thanks, but there is no gravity fill on my motor home. However, it should be simple to measure and pour into the hose, being careful not to spill or run through the filter, which I'll attach on the other end of hose for this. Thanks for the info. I'll post once I successfully do this in a few weeks.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #46

I have read here that a number of people do not drink from their fresh water tank? I can only assume that these are the same people that buy bottled water at home?

My system has a large water filter and the water tastes just fine. We use the water from our tank it to make coffee, tea, brush our teeth, take a shower, etc., same as if we were at home.

In the past, prior to this MH, we carried two 5 gal water jugs of house water for drinking but no longer.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have read here that a number of people do not drink from their fresh water tank? I can only assume that these are the same people that buy bottled water at home?

At least in our case that's a fair assumption. We carry bottled water for drinking and for the dogs but we use tank water for coffee, brushing our teeth, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

When I had my 5er, I used the fresh tank for everything for 12 years. I filled it with soft water from home. Doing the same with my MH. I tried a little bleach one time in the 5er before a trip and I'm sure I put too much in as it gave me heartburn the whole trip. No filter in either.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCK
I am new at this and have not yet performed this procedure.

However, a nice guy parked next to us during a recent trip we made, told me to pour the disinfectant into the water fill hose before attaching it to the hydrant. Our coach has a system to siphon a mix into the tank from a bucket. The pour in the hose method sure seems simpler.

BTW: He told me he uses Hydrogen Peroxide rather than bleach as the HP will do the job then dissipate so as not require the extensive flushing necessary to get rid of the bleach smell/taste.

He also mentioned a product to ad between annual treatments to keep the water fresh.

I float this out there hoping for feedback one way or the other....please chime in.

C&K
Quite a few years back worked for the city of Everman, Tx. I was a licensed ground water operator. The only reason we used "chlorine" is because it was the only product that would leave a residual. At that time, it was the only product that would. I learned that Iodine was the best but no residual. HO would work but don't know the amount to use because it warns not to take internaly.
I world be interested to hear what others use. BTW plain ol' vinegar would work great and it is good for you. The smell would disparate shortly and no reason to rinse the tank afterwards.

Jack
Jstarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

ChasA, you might be the one to ask. I have a Sightseer 30b and am looking for the drain to empty my fresh water tank. Any ideas?

Tom
tom1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #51
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
8 drops per gallon, or 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons will make it safe to drink.

1/2 teaspoon per gallon will sanitize just about anything. Let it sit for 30-60 mins.

1 Tablespoon per gallon will sanitize in about 2-5 mins..
When I took biology in nursing school they taught us that stronger is not better. Diluted Bleach will penetrate the organism and basically burst the cell and destroy the organism, but if it is too strong it is unable to penetrate or something along that line.

Thanks for the dilution rate chart. Saved me a dig through the old books
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post
When I took biology in nursing school they taught us that stronger is not better. Diluted Bleach will penetrate the organism and basically burst the cell and destroy the organism, but if it is too strong it is unable to penetrate or something along that line.

Thanks for the dilution rate chart. Saved me a dig through the old books
I was going by the EPA and FEMA standards.. But, what i think you are thinking of is for alcohol. 70% was suppose to be better than the 91%.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

8 is better than 3 2.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #54
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I was going by the EPA and FEMA standards.. But, what i think you are thinking of is for alcohol. 70% was suppose to be better than the 91%.
Yes, Dunner, that is true of alcohol, but also true of bleach. The reason I remember it is because my friend/dog breeder used gallons to disinfect her kennel and I copied the text for her from my book. I'll try to find it for you. Interesting fact: industrial vinegar is used in some disinfection applications. We have so much trouble disinfecting in a hospital because of all the antibiotic resistant bacteria and virus strains.

Dogs and water.....we always give them bottled water (sometimes we bottle our own from home)......last thing you want to do is travel with a bunch of dogs with diarrhea in a motorhome.........ewwwww
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #55
Winnebago Watcher

TSRI - News & Views

Here is a good link on bleach. It is from the Scripps Institute.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Midniteoyl I was going by the EPA and FEMA standards.. But, what i think you are thinking of is for alcohol. 70% was suppose to be better than the 91%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post
Yes, Dunner, that is true of alcohol, but also true of bleach. The reason I remember it is because my friend/dog breeder used gallons to disinfect her kennel and I copied the text for her from my book. I'll try to find it for you. Interesting fact: industrial vinegar is used in some disinfection applications. We have so much trouble disinfecting in a hospital because of all the antibiotic resistant bacteria and virus strains.

Dogs and water.....we always give them bottled water (sometimes we bottle our own from home)......last thing you want to do is travel with a bunch of dogs with diarrhea in a motorhome.........ewwwww
Uhhh... Hello.. who you be quotin'? I was talking about 3-2 beer.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #57

LMAO!..

easy mistake.. People confuse you for me all the time
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #58
Winnebago Owner

I think I'm flattered.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #59

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #60