Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

How cold is it safe to travel with water in system?

I am heading to FL first of March. I would like to de-winterize my Horizon in the garage before I leave. I am told by Winnebago my water system is heated by the gas furnace but they won't tell me how many degrees below freezing I can travel with out freezing the water system. My first night stop will be in Southern IL and no worry after that. Has anyone with a Horizon or Vectra with a birth date around 2005 had any experience traveling in below freezing temperatures? If so I would appreciate any thoughts you may have. In my previous Chieftain I traveled once on temps of +20º with no problems but the front mounted engine blew heat back under the coach while traveling. Is it safe to start out in the morning when temps are 15º as it gradually warms up as the sun rises and we get further south?

Your input is much appreciated;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I am heading to FL first of March. I would like to de-winterize my Horizon in the garage before I leave. I am told by Winnebago my water system is heated by the gas furnace but they won't tell me how many degrees below freezing I can travel with out freezing the water system. My first night stop will be in Southern IL and no worry after that. Has anyone with a Horizon or Vectra with a birth date around 2005 had any experience traveling in below freezing temperatures? If so I would appreciate any thoughts you may have. In my previous Chieftain I traveled once on temps of +20º with no problems but the front mounted engine blew heat back under the coach while traveling. Is it safe to start out in the morning when temps are 15º as it gradually warms up as the sun rises and we get further south?

Don
We've made the trip from Madison to Florida many times in February without any problems. We leave the furnace on at about 55* just to be safe. The only problem we had with our 2001 Adventurer was the 1 time we ran the antifreeze out of the outdoor shower. The wet cabinet is plastic and doesn't have the same insulation as the rest of the cabinets. The water in the shower head and faucet froze. After that we put a set of shutoff valves behind the panel and closed them after winterizing in the fall. We never had another problem.

We plan to leave for Florida again this February. We'll put water in the tank and run it through the system except for the outdoor shower. I'm sure if we keep the heat on as we've done in the past there won't be any problems.

As a side note we went to Florida early 1 year and came back to have Christmas with the family. It was -10* when we got home, and as long as we left the furnace on all was well. It wasn't very comfortable draining the water and winterizing in that temperature, but nothing (on the motorhome) froze.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Petro said
Quote:
In my previous Chieftain I traveled once on temps of +20º with no problems but the front mounted engine blew heat back under the coach while traveling. Is it safe to start out in the morning when temps are 15º as it gradually warms up as the sun rises and we get further south?
I really don't think any heat from the engine blew back and kept the water from freezing. Your Motoraid and furnace did all of that.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don ...

I have only had one instance of the fresh water system freezing on our Journey ... it was 7 below with about a 20 mph wind ... (Tucumcari, NM after I had dewinterized) ... nothing broke ... a ceramic heater and trouble light soon had me thawed out so that water ran ...

Fleet Farm sells thermometers with wireless remote sensors ... buy one of those with two sensors ... that should ease your mind.

If you are really worried about it ... put a trouble light in your water bay and near the fresh water pump ... and turn on your inverter ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The answer depends on your RV. mine is rated for 20 degrees. and I can go a bit colder if I re-wire a few things (move a plug). Some are not rated for sub freezing weather at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Someone may argue this point but I have never winterized my coach in 10 years. I live in the mountains of Calif with winter temps rarely below 20 deg. I also insulate the exterior shower door. When it does dip below 32 deg, I run an elect heater at 65 deg if I am not actually in the coach. When I am on the road and temps drop below freezing I have never had a frozen line or tank. Your entire coach is quite an effective heat sink. I have spent two entire winters in my MH and never had a problem except for water hose connection and solved that with pipe insulation. On the other hand I have never been in temps below 20 deg foe an extended period of time. I realize below 20 deg my methods would be bad. But you are going to Florida starting from a warm garage with everything thawed out. I doubt you will have any problems...just keep the coach warm and tank heaters on. Insulate the water bay / outside shower...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

ya'll could install wireless temperature gauges in your wet compartments and then you would not have to guess what the temp is.
i use a 100 w lamp in a trouble light in my rear water service compartment.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post

Don
Since only one night is of concern, you might consider taking a few gallons of fresh water with you and not connecting to public water or filling your fresh water tank until after your first night.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do have wireless remote thermometers in my 2 bays that have water. One being the bay with the water pump and the other with the fresh water tank. I have set a mental limit of +20º F for traveling with water in the system. I will keep a log containing outside temps and bay temps and I will report back here after my trip.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

This is an exciting thread! I love discussing leaving the cold frigid temps in the north and dreaming of Florida in March.

I expect to de-winterize before leaving NY for FL in March as well. Never had any troubles even with the temps dipping into the low 20's. No experience below that.

See you in Florida in March!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, water