Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hot water temperature

We have a 2008. Our hot water doesn't get very hot. I checked the temperature of the hot water coming out (hot only) at the sink it was about 97 degrees. What is the temperature of your water? Is this about the right temp?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you have a outsied shower, make sure the hot and cold valves are shut off and not just shut off at the shower head. If those valves are open it will allow hot and cold water to mix.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Normal Hot Water Temp is 120 Deg. Any hotter will cause build up in the heater any colder will just dissapoint.

Dick
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The temp should be 135 to 140 as I recall. If you carefully open the pressure relief valve a little, catch some water and measure the temp you can see if the water is hot enough or if you are getting a cold water cross feed somewhere - like the outside shower mentioned above.

In my case the winterizing dirverter valve was leaking slightly and dropping the temp to 110 F. It took me awhile to figure it out since the valve had only been operated once 6 years ago and it didn't occur to me that it could be bad.

I wasted about $25 replacing the thermostat and high limit switch. They come as a pair in a kit. That's true for the direct ignition units anyway. I don't know about the pilot type units.

If the water temp in the heater is correct then the thermostat might be the problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I do not have an outside shower head with a shutoff at the head, the valves are shut. I checked the temp of the water outside the water heater at the valve it was 150+. Maybe it is the blender valve. Thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I do not have an outside shower head with a shutoff at the head, the valves are shut. I checked the temp of the water outside the water heater at the valve it was 150+. Maybe it is the blender valve. Thanks
On mine the winterizing diverter valve switches the cold water from the heater input to the heater output so when you add antifreeze you don't have to put it in the tank. That is what was leaking on mine. Even though it was completely off a small amount of water was getting through.

It sounds like yours is either leaking or is slightly open.

Note that there is a check valve on both the input and output. I don't think either of those can be the problem though since they couldn't cause a cross feed.

Good luck!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here is an artiale on water temp.
Energy Savers: Lower Water Heating Temperature for Energy Savings

Dick
Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The Suburban water heaters have two separate thermostats - one for 110-volts and one for LP. The 110-volt thermostat is fixed at 120 degrees and the LP thermostat is fixed at 140 degrees. So if your water heater is working correctly you will have water at 120 or 140 degrees depending on what you are heating with.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I installed a new Atwood water heater back in 2006 and had two thermostats go bad within a year. I decided the OEM unit was junk and went with an adjustable thermostat (atwood p/n 93105) for $10 more. It works great. I turn it down in the summer and up in the winter. You can set it from 110 to 150 deg.

By the way this new unit (2006) has only one thermostat to control both gas and AC - unlike the old unit that had 2 seperate thermostats.

Hope this helps
JohnFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I drained the water heater and left the drain plug out, started the pump shut the diverter valve and no water came into the water heater. I opened the diverter valve to let water go into the water heater and took the bypass water line off, no water came through. So the next thing is the mixer valve must be letting to much cold water in. Next week I get a new mixer valve. Report later!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I drained the water heater and left the drain plug out, started the pump shut the diverter valve and no water came into the water heater. I opened the diverter valve to let water go into the water heater and took the bypass water line off, no water came through. So the next thing is the mixer valve must be letting to much cold water in. Next week I get a new mixer valve. Report later!!!!
Randolph,

What is the mixer valve, and where is it located? I know about the divertor valve but don't think I've heard of one called Mixer. Or is that the one at the inside shower that combines cold/hot water to get the temperature you want for a shower?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The water in the water heater it above 150 degrees (no adjustable thermostat) when the water comes out it is mixed with cold water to get it down to 110 to 120. They said they did this so your hot water last longer. It is attached directly to the water heater.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Put new mixer valve on and now have hot water coming out of shower, life is good. We are in Naples, Fl. waiting for the Florida Sunshine Rally to start. Jim