Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

on the way to montreal yesterday something happened to the hot water heater. I had hooked to a 50 amp servive at the KOA, flipped the switch on for 110 v water heater and by this morning zip..no hot water. checked breaker and it was ok. flipped switch for propane heat to water heaater and zip...nothing evening though the green light was showing everthing good. I checked the gas pilot and it does appear to be lit. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Unit is in a 2007 journey 36G.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

on the way to montreal yesterday something happened to the hot water heater. I had hooked to a 50 amp servive at the KOA, flipped the switch on for 110 v water heater and by this morning zip..no hot water. checked breaker and it was ok. flipped switch for propane heat to water heaater and zip...nothing evening though the green light was showing everthing good. I checked the gas pilot and it does appear to be lit. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Unit is in a 2007 journey 36G.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check that you didn't accidentally flip the water heater bypass valve in the water hookup compartment. Maybe dog did it...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Nope, Bypass is in normal position. any other ideas?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Clean the edge connectors on the control board. The new tanks like yours use the same thermostat for both electric, and propane and thus if the edge connector connection is dirty you can loose both propane, and electric heating. You will find a little tag next to the control unit that says to clean the connections before replacing the board. Now there is a message there, Atwood has a known problem but has not addressed it.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would also check the thermal cutoff diode/resister...
It can be checked by unplugging it from both ends and plugging the wires in directly... If it's bad you can use it until you buy a new one. Cost about 9.00 or 2 for 18.00
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
I try both the diode and connecter.

let you know what happens.

thanks
jk
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The fact that jk_and_dog reported that both propane, and electric didn't work I suspected either a bad connection to the control board, or the board itself. When a friend visited me with his 06 Adventure the next morning he told me he had lost the hot water heater. When I checked it out I didn't suspect the control board because I thought his was like mine and the electric portion of the tank had nothing to do with the propane side. When I checked out the wiring I found the electric heating element went through the control board, and then I saw the little tag saying to clean the connector/edge connector before changing the board. I cleaned the edge connector with a pensil eraser and bang, everything worked. Hope that works.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I understand the org. message but if I'm not mistaken when my thermal resister/diode went out the Electric didn't work either... That was over 2 years ago...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

JK and Dog,
Did you get the WHeater working?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I have not gotten back yet. I haven't touched the unit since i returned home. been up to my hair line in aligators here at work. Plan on working on it this weekend. Will let you know if it is the contacts.

thnaks
jk
Old 10-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Today after the rain I went out to the MH and checked to see if I could get hot water. 30 amp house power hooked up. Pulling 4 to 0 amps on readout. Flipped electrical switch for hot water heater no amp increase. Waited 30 minutes and no hot water no increase in amp readout. Turned on propane heat, no flame in burner compartment, pilot readout lite indicates pilot is lit but on physically looking no pilot light.

Cleaned all electrical conections and repeated sequence....nothing. I have the auto pilot lighting so ther are no manual controlls at the water heater. I think I must have some form of engine heater set up in the plumbing cause I do have hot water after stopping for the day. By morning though the heat is gone and its cold shower time..

There is a thermal shutoff switch in the control box area and i will try replacing it when the parts department opens. Otherwise back to the dealer to see if he can figure it out. Right now it appears I have no power to the unit at all. I have not removed the control board yet..do you think this might help. Has anyone replaced the control board and how difficult is it to replace? Dog needs a bath. I put her out in the rain for a while and left doggie soap nearby...I don't think she used it....smelt like a wet dog when she came in from the rain...ho hum...
Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Our board came off easy. I took it in and they can test it out.

They had me replace everything except the board first, as they said the board never goes bad. I thought it was my board from day one. I guess they get to collect more money that way.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Well here is the answer to the lost hot water...

1. Loose 110 V line on bottom of heater, therefore not electrical hot water. Fixed under warenty.

2. Bad thermostat on Propane side, replace thermostat and ECC (?)which are one unit on HW system. Fixed under warenty.

Alls well that ends well!

I'm off to the windy city this week end...hope nothing freeeeeeezes.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

JK...it is sometimes common after driving and then hooking up to electric and switching the electric heater switch to on that somehow it trips the hwh breaker on the hwh..It is located behind the panel at the back of the hwh...A simple push of the reset button activates the hwh again....hope this helps....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote