Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have 07 Tour, FD40. I recently started noticing that the hot water temperature had increased to almost scalding without any change to anything on my part. My question is: Is there somewhere that I can regulate the temp of the hot water like on the hot water heater at home? Or is this simply a sign that I'm going to be buying a new hot water heater soon. Thanks in advance and Happy New Years to all.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have 07 Tour, FD40. I recently started noticing that the hot water temperature had increased to almost scalding without any change to anything on my part. My question is: Is there somewhere that I can regulate the temp of the hot water like on the hot water heater at home? Or is this simply a sign that I'm going to be buying a new hot water heater soon. Thanks in advance and Happy New Years to all.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tom ...

I suggest you look through your owner's manual ... there should be brochure describing how to adjust the hot water heater temp, if it is adjustable.

If it is not adjustable, I suggest you call the company immediately ... you might still be under warranty ...

Mine is not adjustable ... our water is hotter than I would choose but it is not dangerous ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">our water is hotter than I would choose but it is not dangerous ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On our 04 Adventurer, the temp ( electric only) showed 153* last week, according to an infared reader, and its probably a few degrees hotter than that. I measured it by running water into a cup for a few minutes, an then "put the dot" on the water surface. Seems like its hotter than it used to be.... Pretty warm, I'll probably try to find a way to reduce it...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You might have to replace the thermostat with one that can be adjustable. It is really not that big a job.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

You might try checking here for an ajustable stat for your WH if it's an Atwood.
Adjustable Atwood WH Thermostats
Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You may also have one of the newer Atwood heaters which have a mixing valve. This valve mixes cold water with the hot water as it exits the heater, supposedly increases the hot water available (I think they advertise 16 gals from a 10 gal tank). I believe the heater thermostat is set higher in these models.

I don't think the valve is user adjustable, but I haven't seen one.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

Ours is almost scalding. We've been tempted to investigate on how to turn it down but I know we wouldn't have the luxury of taking the long showers we do now. So we haven't done anything about it. Long showers are nice.

We just have to remember to set the faucets on full-hot when using.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Amanda,

We agree with you it is really nice taking extended hot showers. I recently became concerned simply because the water has not always been scalding hot. It's sudden increase in tempature made me think something wrong has happened.
Has your water always been as hot as it is now or did it suddenly increase in temp like mine?
Thanks for your reply
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #10

Ah, now that I've re-read your opening post, Tom, I see where you're not asking about the benefits of scalding hot water but rather your concern that something is wrong because it all of a sudden it became scalding hot.

Yeah, that does sound like it may be indicating that something is wrong ...but I hope not. As others are saying, it probably will require only a part replacement rather than having to replace the whole water heater.

This might be elementary but could you have been mistaking the water temperature right after you've settled in and the water is still semi-hot from the motor-aid. We find that the water heated by the motor-aid is not scalding hot.

Oh, and I made a typo in my last post. I should have said:

"We just have to remember NOT to set the faucets on full-hot when using."
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like your thermostat may have gone "south." You can buy the standard replacement thermostat for around $6 - $8 bucks. If I am not wrong, the standard thermo is set at about 140 degrees. There is also the adjustable thermo mentioned above. If I were replacing my thermo, then I might go with the adjustable one.