Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hot-Cold-Hot shower

We have a 2004 Journey. The shower control has started acting up .... hot ... then cold ... then hot for a few cycles and then finally settles down to tolerable ... it has happened in two different RV parks ... it is causing the co-pilot lots of stress ...

Have any of you had this happen to you? ... how did you fix the problem? ... and getting a new co-pilot is not an option she has been a good mate for almost 58 years

Thanks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you using a pressure regulator at the water source? If so it may be time for a new shower control valve. We changed out the original in our 2001 Adventurer for the same reason. The hot/cold control became so finicky that it took more water to get the temperature adjusted than it did to take a shower. We used an off the shelf Moen controller from Home Depot. It was a direct fit as far as the mounting was concerned. The only thing you'll need to save from the old controller are the adaptor fittings from the tube to the pipe fittings on the controller.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Should also consider hard water deposits...
Old 11-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

If it the same as the Moen fixtures used in homes, the cartridge can be removed and cleaned or replaced. Most big box home improvement stores sell replacement cartridges for Moen facuets. I've replaced the one in our shower a couple times. Our kitchen faucet was leaking. I removed the cartridge and soaked in vinegar to remove the lime/calcium deposits, lubed with plumbers grease, reinstalled and it was good as new. Replacing the cartridge is easier than replacing the entire control.
martinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinte View Post
If it the same as the Moen fixtures used in homes, the cartridge can be removed and cleaned or replaced. Most big box home improvement stores sell replacement cartridges for Moen facuets. I've replaced the one in our shower a couple times. Our kitchen faucet was leaking. I removed the cartridge and soaked in vinegar to remove the lime/calcium deposits, lubed with plumbers grease, reinstalled and it was good as new. Replacing the cartridge is easier than replacing the entire control.
The original controller is not Moen. However it does use the standard mounts and connections as all household plumbing fixtures.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure it's not a Moen? My 2004 Itasca's shower was hot, scalding hot, or depths of h3ll hot. Replaced the cartridge (Moen) and it was solved.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Are you sure it's not a Moen? My 2004 Itasca's shower was hot, scalding hot, or depths of h3ll hot. Replaced the cartridge (Moen) and it was solved.
Did you buy your coach new or used? If used it's possible the previous owner already changed out the shower control.

It's possible Winnebago did used some Moen Fixtures throughout the years. However when we were looking to buy new in 2001 and again in 2012 we didn't see any Moen plumbing fixtures in any of the motorhomes we were looking at. It could be that they make fixtures that are specific to the RV industry and I just didn't recognize them.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Did you buy your coach new or used? If used it's possible the previous owner already changed out the shower control.

It's possible Winnebago did used some Moen Fixtures throughout the years. However when we were looking to buy new in 2001 and again in 2012 we didn't see any Moen plumbing fixtures in any of the motorhomes we were looking at. It could be that they make fixtures that are specific to the RV industry and I just didn't recognize them.
Although my shower doesn't say "Moen" on it anywhere visible, once I looked through the Winnebago parts catalog for my unit (available on their website), the Winnebago part number 144596-01 is shown and listed as Moen #62300, which is a common residential shower valve available at any Home Depot or Lowes. The replacement cartridge was about $35.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
We have a 2004 Journey. The shower control has started acting up .... hot ... then cold ... then hot for a few cycles and then finally settles down to tolerable ... it has happened in two different RV parks ... it is causing the co-pilot lots of stress ...

Have any of you had this happen to you? ... how did you fix the problem? ... and getting a new co-pilot is not an option she has been a good mate for almost 58 years

Thanks
A possible inexpensive fix!

I was reading a post about 0* RVing you made some six years ago and was seeing what else you had to say when I stumbled on this thread.

If your shower body has a temp regulator and you have run hard water through it, it could be partially clogged. It involves the inability of the valve to open or close properly, thus regulating the temperature. This causes my co pilot to make certain noises also Remove the shower head and check the small plastic screen/filter, tap gently while upside down and see if sediment comes out? Then a good soak in "CLR" or vinegar for a few hours may really help clear your issue. Then if it helps but hasn't solved you may want to take the cartridges out and soak or replace them. This is a weekly issue here in the north country with our residential plumbing, even though it is filtered.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Our shower valve was failing like you mentioned. I just pulled it out an replaced it from a Hardware store stock! A little research was all it took. New is better than cleaning the old one. Had no issues since.😁
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower