Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hot and cold water reversed 2014 ERA

I have a 2014 ERA 170x which I bought used. The toilet flushes hot water, and the bathroom faucet taps are reversed, hot and cold. I don't know if it came from the factory like this or whether the previous owner somehow switched them, but I want to switch them back. I don't care much about faucet in the sink, but I don't like cooking the contents of the black tank. Before I start opening panels, can somebody please tell me where the connections are located so I can switch them? Thanks everybody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_185328.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	172380  
2014ERA170X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014ERA170X View Post
I have a 2014 ERA 170x which I bought used. The toilet flushes hot water, and the bathroom faucet taps are reversed, hot and cold. I don't know if it came from the factory like this or whether the previous owner somehow switched them, but I want to switch them back. I don't care much about faucet in the sink, but I don't like cooking the contents of the black tank. Before I start opening panels, can somebody please tell me where the connections are located so I can switch them? Thanks everybody.

Are the shower hot/cold faucets reversed too? Is the kitchen faucet ok? If so try to trace the hot/cold supply lines from the bathroom to wherever they branch off from the house system. My guess this is likely to be in the vicinity of the water heater.

If that area in your rig is similar to my Minnie Winne, it may be a bit of a rats nest of PEX tubing, wiring, and ductwork, but with some effort you should be able to reverse the lines to the bathroom.

Don't skimp and try to use a shortcut to deal with the clamps holding the PEX to the fittings. The PEX clamp crimper is very expensive to buy, so make friends with a plumber and buy him/her some beer for doing that for you. If not done right the PEX connections can leak.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The shower hot & cold ARE the faucet in the bathroom, same thing. Thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping to get exact whereabouts of the connections. TBH, I'm not sure your Winnie Minnie and the Era are similar enough to be helpful in this. Thanks very much
Old 11-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can get Winnebago Plumbing Diagrams for your Era on their website here.

To isolate where the lines are reversed I would also check to see if the outside shower hot and cold are reversed, and the non-lav sink hot and cold are reversed, too.

Consider using 1/2" Sharkbite Push fit couplings, about $7 each at Lowe's / Home Depot / Amazon / etc. They work on PEX. You can find a convenient spot whre the reversed hot and cold PEX are side by side and accessible, cut them side by side and use the PEX couplings to "flip" them. Even if you have or bought PEX tools, this way you can "flip" in a tight space where you don't have room to get the PEX crimper perpendicular to the tubing.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This is great help, I really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch
Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
You can get Winnebago Plumbing Diagrams for your Era on their website here.

To isolate where the lines are reversed I would also check to see if the outside shower hot and cold are reversed, and the non-lav sink hot and cold are reversed, too.

Consider using 1/2" Sharkbite Push fit couplings, about $7 each at Lowe's / Home Depot / Amazon / etc. They work on PEX. You can find a convenient spot whre the reversed hot and cold PEX are side by side and accessible, cut them side by side and use the PEX couplings to "flip" them. Even if you have or bought PEX tools, this way you can "flip" in a tight space where you don't have room to get the PEX crimper perpendicular to the tubing.
Do you have that link to the diagram?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The "here" at the end of the first sentence IS the hyperlink to all the owner manuals etc.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014ERA170X View Post
The shower hot & cold ARE the faucet in the bathroom, same thing. Thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping to get exact whereabouts of the connections. TBH, I'm not sure your Winnie Minnie and the Era are similar enough to be helpful in this. Thanks very much

Sorry, I should have looked to remind myself that the Era is a Class B. That said, its probably safe to assume nearly all water connections in any RV will converge in the galley or water heater areas.

I clicked on the "here" in PowerCat's post and the plumbing diagrams are indeed there and very clear and detailed. That should be a great help to you.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Forget using the crimp PEX fittings. They make it difficult to make changes because not many people have the special crimper. They are good for one thing and that is speed of installation which cuts the cost of installation so the plumbers make more profit. The crimp rings are cheap and one time use. Buy Flair-It fittings and these will make the process easy. They screw together and never leak. I carry extra PEX pipe and fittings so I can make any repair I need to while on the road. Lots of RV dealers carry them. It’s not a big deal to make the switch you’re talking about. Good luck. After you’re through you will have a better understanding of how your fresh water system works.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

2014ERA170X, that is a little strange the drawing shows the cold water going to the stool and bath sink are the first to taps after the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 170x water.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	172402  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
2002 Journey WPK36GD

SharkBite crimpers that cover 3/8 to 1" are about $110 for the better one and $60 for an adequate one at Lowes. So if you do your own work I would advise you buy one and use SharkBite fittings
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water