Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone found a cheap, easy fix for the holding tank sensors?

The gray water tank on our '04 Brave always ahows 1/2 full after being emptied and nothing that I have tried seems to work. This includes filling th tank with fresh water and flushing it out and putting Calgon in the tan and driving from D.C. to Charleston, S.C., including a 30 mile trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Whatever is gumming it up is very persistent and it's driving me nuts. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone found a cheap, easy fix for the holding tank sensors?

The gray water tank on our '04 Brave always ahows 1/2 full after being emptied and nothing that I have tried seems to work. This includes filling th tank with fresh water and flushing it out and putting Calgon in the tan and driving from D.C. to Charleston, S.C., including a 30 mile trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Whatever is gumming it up is very persistent and it's driving me nuts. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

Find a solution to that problem and you can get rich from all the frustrated RVers with the same problem.
We've used Tide, a degreaser, hot water, (not tried Calgon however) Pine Sol and whatever happens to be in the undersink cabinet. Still have the same problem
Black tank is the same, even with the spray rinsers. I just figured out that if we are camped with hookups and shower regularly that I will dump about every other day.
I'm too old to worry about the little things...but I sure as heck would like to figure out a formula to clean the sides of the tank!!

I wonder would a can of lye, dissolved in warm water and allowed to slosh around for a few hours....
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Solution found - absolutely

The solution is to install an aftermarket tank monitoring system. If you spend a little time and do a forum search, you will have hours of reading enjoyment.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A bacteria chemist told us the best way in the black tank was to fill it about 1/2 full with water, and dump several bags of ice cubes in and drive around. The cubes act as an abrasive and will knock the sludge off the tank. I have however never tried it.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We've tried the ice cubes in the black water tank and it works. We used a 20 lb bag of cubes and about 1/4 tank of water. Just dump the cubes down the toilet and go for a drive.

I'm sure it would work in the gray water tank if there was a way to get the cubes in. All of our sink and shower drains have strainers to keep large objects from going down. By the time you get the cubes small enough to go through the drain they don't last long enough to do any cleaning.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On the back of our tank readout there are adjustable pots on the back of the panel.

You'll need a very small screwdriver.. While holding the button down turn the pot clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust the current.

The EMS panel is easier to take out using the one top and bottom screw on the wood frame.
The pot adjustment holes are very small and are located just to the right of center for each light row.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
doc
Winnebago Owner

We have tried the ice in the black tank, but just what was in the ice maker in the frig.
That might work for the black tank, but how does one get 20 pounds of ice into the gray tank?
I suspect John has the easiest solution with simply adding new external sensors.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
On the back of our tank readout there are adjustable pots on the back of the panel.

You'll need a very small screwdriver.. While holding the button down turn the pot clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust the current.

The EMS panel is easier to take out using the one top and bottom screw on the wood frame.
The pot adjustment holes are very small and are located just to the right of center for each light row. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done this on 3 different coaches. I always make sure the probes are clean and make the adjustments accordingly.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Petro,
The reason I mentioned it was the poster didn't suggest he adjusted the pots. So I assumed that they/he was unaware of the adjustment...There was much talk about replacing/using other measures...simple is best
I also adjusted mine and they have been fine for sometime now.....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Agree with John, best solution is an aftermarket system like See Level. Easy to install (if your holding tanks are easy to access) and works absolutely great. External tank sensors so never have to worry about cleaning internal sensors.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I couldn't agree more "IF" there is a problem with the stock sensors... But in this case the problem might not be a problem just an adjustment...
After adjusting mine a while ago I never had an issue with readings..
Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I agree that new external sensors would be the best fix "if the tanks were easily accessable". In our coach you have to take off the rear fender panels and an access panel behind them just to see the tanks.
I had the black tank panels off one time when we had a vent problem. It was a miserable and time consuming job. If cleaning and recalibrating the sensors works it's a lot easier and less expensive to do.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hey Guys, I like the idea of adjusting the "pots." I'll give it a try if the problem returns. That being said, I got mine working correctly with a product called CLR. It is the stuff made to dissolve calcium, lyme, and rust. I filled both tanks with clean water after adding 1/2 gallon of CLR to each tank. I let it sit in there for a week while the coach was in dry storage. I dumped both tanks and now all sensors work perfectly. I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Yep bought a new Aspect with the new sensors system. Was not cheap but so far it works.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I went through this with my rig that I bought used and didn't know the guages were not working properly (my fault!). Been through all the suggested tries, ice, pine-sol etc. What has worked for me on the first try was Electra-Sol dishwasher tabs. I filled both tanks to what I thought was 3/4 full. Dropped in tabs(2 each) into each tank. left sit for 15 min. Took a drive on a curvy road about 10 miles then dumped and flushed. Flushed 3 times. All sensors work great.
keithkillinger is offline   Reply With Quote