Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Holding Tank Probes

Anyone know where to access the black and grey holding tank probes on a 2004 Adventurer 31Y ??
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to get to the wires through a compartment there on the side of the tanks but for the end of the probe that inside the tank
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

E-mail Winnebago. When I had a recent question on the wiring of the front TV I sent them an e-mail, not really expecting much of a reply. I received a phone call from a highly knowledgeable technician who worked with the TV instillation who answered all my questions.
Great company.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I've sent an email to Winnebago but thus far have not received a reply. As this forum is manned by the utmost experts in every catagory I figured someone had experienced the same problem and could give me the answer.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do you know where the access panels are located - that's my question.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have merged the two threads you started on this question since we don't allow duplicate posts.

Thanks

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

It is dependent on the floor plan but is often on the passenger side above two compartments near the galley area. It usually spans two compartments and can be seen by opening the compartment doors and looking above the compartments. The plate is maybe ten inches tall and about three feet long. There are a lot of sheet metal screws holding it in place and a black sticky, very strong adhesive caulk. I found it easyest to lift the panel slightly with a wide blade pry bar and use a utility knife to cut the caulk.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I can't seem to find a panel. My floorplan is of course different from yours being a 31Y. Maybe someone else can direct me??
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Clay L
I found the panels. There are two panels, one at the top of the passenger side baggage compartment and one at the top of the propane compartment. You also have to remove the panel over the tire which is between the two compartments mentioned. And, Clay L is correct, they are held on by many screws and some kind of black adhesive. I have not removed them yet - building up the courage. I will wait until I receive the Miracle Probes. I have decided to replace them rather than just clean them
Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE - I finally got a call back from Winnebago. Believe it or not, the tech could not tell me exactly where the probes were located. He stated that they have so many models and floorplans that it is impossible to keep track of the locations. He did say that the probes were not accessible. As you may know I wanted to take them out and clean them or replace them. He did send me a drawing which shows the tanks with some circles in a pattern which are not labled but which he claims could be the sensor locations, but because of how the tanks are mounted in the coach, they are not accessible. I think this is outragious seeing as how dirty probes are a major cause of frustration in most RVs. And I think this is a real black-eye for Winnebago. I am going to try some probe cleaner which the dealer sold me. I don't expect much from it. For the grey tank, I can't use ice because the drains have traps in them and thus I can't use a spray wand either. I will try the ice and spray wand down the commode into the black tank. You would certainly think that a company with such high praise as Winnebago, considering the price we pay for these coaches, would have a method for cleaning or replacing the probes - or spend the additional $2 in manufacturing to install a high reliability system for monitoring the holding tank levels. I'm very dissappointed in Winnebago. But I am glad they returned my call before I ordered the new probes and before I removed what I thought were the access panels. The tech stated that Winnebago used a holding tank which was thinner on the passenger side and thicker on the driver side to allow for gravity draining, and that the probes were always located on the thicker side as near the tank drains. He said the panels I referenced before were not for accessing the probes.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #11

I installed the SeeLevel system in my Class C and if and when the probes in our 29RQ quit working I will simply do the same for our Class A. I went to the manufacturer when I was in Edmonton AB and bought the complete system and have nothing but accolades for these guys. I had one minor problem during the installation and got help up the Ying Yang. The company representative I was talking to getting the work around actually called me back a couple of days later asking if the problem was solved and if I was satisfied.

The sending units attach to the outside of the tanks and do not need any inside the tank work being done.

Usual caveat in that I have nothing to do with the company other than being a very satisfied customer.

SeeLeveL Liquid Level Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Actually the problem is not dirty probes but crudded up tank walls. Anything you can do to clean the tank walls can help.

I have the TrueLevel non contact system that Winnebago went standard with in late 2005 or early 2006. The sensors are outside of the tank on the walls and my black tank still reads full all of the time.
Horst has a good explanation of the issue on their web site.

I think I would call Winne back and see if another tech gives you a better answer on the probe access. I have never heard of them not being accessible before and a lot of people have posted about sensors in the last ten years or so.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

The panels you have located are for servicing the plumbing going to the black and grey water tanks. They are made of thin sheet metal and very difficult to remove without damaging them. The sealant that holds them in place is tougher than the shet metal itself. We had to have the panels removed a few years back when we had a problem with the black water tank. I had to replace them they were so badly damaged.

Take a look up and behind the panel that has all the switches & water connections in the wet bay. In our motorhome the probes for both the black and grey water tanks are visible. They're not actually probes but rather rubber plugs with a metal center. The part that extends into the tank is no more than a button about 3/8" in diameter.

Ours can be replaced by unscrewing the wire and pushing the plug into the tank. A new plug can then be pushed partially into the hole and tightened in place by reattaching and securing the wire. The screw that attaches the wire also partially collapses the rubber plug and seals it in place.

Don't expect new probes or different style probes to be a permanent cure. As they get covered with waste water they develop a slime on them that reduces conductivity. The more crud the poorer the ground circuit. The poorer the ground circuit the higher they read.

Even the ones with external sensors have problems over time. Most read a temperature differential between a dry and wet tank wall. As crud develops on the inside of the tank wall the temperature differential diminishes and the sensors become less accurate.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The panels with the butyl mastic can be fairly easily removed with a heat gun and stiff putty knife or scraper.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad I didn't go ahead and try to remove the panels, it would have been a lot of trouble for nothing. It's amazing to me that the Winnebago technician did not have a thorough knowledge of their product, or refer me to someone who did. It totally destroys my faith in them as someone to go to for answers. But, to end this topic, I have decided to just clean them from the inside out using ice, detergent, etc., the best that I can and then to just put up with whatever the outcome is. I guess Winnebago isn't any worse than any other manufacturer, but now I know they aren't any better either. I always had put them ahead of any other. It really disappoints me.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

There are several black water tank cleaners on the market. We used one several years ago when we first had inaccurate sensors. I believe the one we used is made by Thetford and available at Camping World.

It works best when used with warm water. If you let it set the recommended amount of time it does a good job. Our sensors remained clean and accurate for the entire season. We haven't used it since then primarily because we move around a lot when on the road and never accumulate enough in the tank at one time to be concerned about overflowing.

Keep in mind Winnebago doesn't design many of the components used in their motorhomes. They buy from vendors just like the automobile and truck manufacturers. There are a limited number of tank level systems available within the price range customers are willing to pay.

There are more accurate industrial systems available but they are outrageously expensive. I doubt the average RVer would be willing to spend $5,000.00 or more to have an extremely accurate indication of the level in the waste tanks.

Tags
tank