Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I want to install one of those tornado tank flusher things to the black tank. The only problem is, the only part of the tank that I can see or access, is where the dump valves are located(utility bay). It is advised to locate it at the opposite end to push everything towards the drain. Is it ok to install it so close to the dump valves or is it a waste of time ??
Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I want to install one of those tornado tank flusher things to the black tank. The only problem is, the only part of the tank that I can see or access, is where the dump valves are located(utility bay). It is advised to locate it at the opposite end to push everything towards the drain. Is it ok to install it so close to the dump valves or is it a waste of time ??
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
ET
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
I want to install one of those tornado tank flusher things to the black tank. The only problem is, the only part of the tank that I can see or access, is where the dump valves are located(utility bay). It is advised to locate it at the opposite end to push everything towards the drain. Is it ok to install it so close to the dump valves or is it a waste of time ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't you dump valve actually connected directly under your tank so the flow would be from the bottom of your tank down into the drain valve?

Ours came with one from Newmar and it works extremely well.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Rick: You may have an access panel on the opposite side of the motorhome maybe above the propane bottle storage area. Most of those tanks are long and narrow. That is the way mine is set up.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick, where ever you put it, remember that you will want EZ access to it. The factory(s) regularly intall them on the valve end...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Gary CA
My propane is up front. I have a bin opposite the utility bay but I think that it is sealed up. It may have a bunch of screws in it to access the rear side of the tanks. I keep some firewood in it so I will have to wait till I burn some to check it.
ET
Yes, the tanks actually have a section that drops lower than the main tank and it is this lower section that connects to the dump valves.
My concern is, if I install a tornado flusher on this side of the tank and above the dump valve area, I would be pushing the 'contents' of the tank away from the dump valves.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
ET
Winnebago Watcher

Rick,

Let me tell you how I flush out my tank and maybe from that you could make a decision if installing a Tornado tank flusher is right for you.

First I make sure that I clean my toilet then fill it up to nearly the brim with water and my tank deodorizer. Outside I run the tank flusher while dumping the black tank completely. Once the tank is empty I close the valve with the flusher still running, (but only for about a minute.) I then open the valve and dump the tank again. I repeat this one last time until the water is completely clear, (I have a 90 degree clear elbow feeding the black water hose.) When the water is clear I shut the valve and still run the flush for about 30 seconds then shut it off and disconnect both the black water hose and the rinsing hose. I go back into the coach and dump the water and deodorizer mix in the toilet and I'm done. I never have an odor problem with my coach while in storage or on the move.

My point to all this is that you'll be rinsing your tank thoroughly no matter where the flush is located since it's purpose is to spray 360 degrees into your tank helping to remove anything from the walls, etc. Remember my water is crystal clear after then third time which is also rinsing my black/gray water hose before storage. I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

RICK, i use a clear plastic adapter from camping world (wally world may have it too) called RV HYDRO FLUSH, about $25. you might want to try it and see how it works for you before cutting panels and tanks.
i use the adapter to monitor the condition of the drained water. my winnie has a black tank flush adapter installed at the factory. it works well to clean the tank walls. i use 1 capful of calgon water softener from wally world to loosen debris and keep it loose in the gray and black tanks. i learned that from this forum. i also use thetford campa-clean toss-ins from wally world.
when i got my rig, it was 5 years old and had not been properly maintained. it only had 7.8k miles on it. the holding tanks were a mess inside.
the HYDRO FLUSH part of the adapter shoots water from a hose straight up into the adapter. on my winnie, it would need to turn 90 degrees to really flush the tank well. depending on your tank and valve configuration, it may work ok for you. it will for sure fill the tank from the bottom drain adapter.
the HYDRO FLUSH comes with a backflow preventer. imoh, you should use a water hose dedicated for the purpose of back flushing your black and gray tanks.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Dan L,

I already have something like that. Not sure if it is the same brand. It does a fine job, but I was hoping to reduce the amount of stuff I need to flush the tanks. Yes...I said tanks...as I flush both. I would put one of those tornado flush things on both tanks. Before anybody gets on my case about taking too much time at the dump station at the campground....I dont. I have a sewer cleanout at my curb and I dump at home. This allows me to use the bathroom for the ride home.
Thanks