Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello and water tank question

All, we recently got a '95 Winnebago 34H with a Jeep toad and went on the first shake down from central MA to northern MA (also known as Maine). Everything went well and we learned a lot.

Learned the 350hp Cat will drag the Jeep down the road no problem even with the steering locked. What's all that noise??

Learned we have to change the Sony tv to a digital since the camp ground cable provider had recently switched over to digital and they gave us an adaptor box which we got activated just 10 min before the Celtics playoff game.

Upon arrival I filled the water tank by opening the fill door as a vent but when we broke camp I didn't want to travel with a full tank of water so I dumped it. Didn't seem like the right thing to do. I have searched this site and manuals but can't find if it's possible to bypass filling the main tank and only use the water heater and city supply and leave the tank empty when on the site.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, geoh2o
bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

howdy,

congrats on your new toy...when in trasport always leave you water filled bout 1/3 or 2/3 so you have water to use the sink or toilet...i'm not flimar with what you want too do wit the hot water...The H.P you have behind that rig is not match for a jeep try putting 10,000 lbs on it and you will really slow down on the mountains and hills...regardless what ever you tow you will know it's there the more the weight the more you knoe it's there...Best of luck
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks fo the reply, my question is does the water tank have to be filled to use the city water at a camp site. I would like to bypass it when camped so I don't have to empty it before departure. I don't see a reason to carry 700 lbs of water around on the road. We carry some bottled water for personal use. geoh2o
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella
Thanks fo the reply, my question is does the water tank have to be filled to use the city water at a camp site. I would like to bypass it when camped so I don't have to empty it before departure. I don't see a reason to carry 700 lbs of water around on the road. We carry some bottled water for personal use. geoh2o
No it does not have to be filled to use city water.
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hello and welcome to the forum.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

You likely have a diverter valve that will allow you to either fill the tank or use the water from the CG directly. Then again, with a gravity water fill you may not have the diverter valve but you should be able to hook up and use water directly without filling the tank.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The answer is yes, you can bypass filling the tank and use 'city water', leaving the fresh tank empty. Your water heater will be fine, it will not empty itself, no worries.

You use tank water with your water pump turned on when you are not connected to 'city water' (dry-camping). When you are connected, you use city water with your pump turned off, and bypass the tank.

I use 'city water' when I'm hooked up, tank water when I'm not. Going from place to place, I keep the tank roughly 1/4 full, for flushing, etc. And I dump the tank to reduce travel weight, and I don't think it's the wrong thing to do. Otherwise, no, there is no need to have water in the fresh tank. Hope this helps a little.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Oh yes, welcome to the forum, you will get lots of info and help, and perhaps help others with your experiences. Happy trails
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all, I think I've got the idea. Several pics in the manual are different from each other and also differ from our unit in location, appearance, and labeling. But I'm sure the valve functions are the same. We really like the 34H and it seems just right for the two of us. We hope to full time in it in the near future. geoh2o
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

First I assume you have a 05 Journey 34H. Just leave the City Water valve in the City position. The only time water will go into the tank is when the City Water valve is in the Water Tank Fill position.
Like others have said I also kept about a ¼ tank of fresh water and the hot water tank full.
This way I had water for the stool and the engine heated the water in hot water tank.
Another note I noticed you mentioned opening the fill door, this is a good thing. I put a lot of water in side bin when the tank over filled with the fill door closed.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My 97 does not have a diverter valve, I have to unlock and open the gravity fill door and fill the tank with the hose. Not sure if your 95 is setup the same way.
I would advise that you keep at least a radiator's worth of water in your tank while traveling, you never know, if you overheat and will need to refill.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We always keep 1/4 tank for flushing while traveling. I never thought about other types of emergencies that would need water. May have to up the level a little next outing. We also carry 3 gals. of water in milk jugs ( filled at home) for brushing teeth and making coffee. Not all CG water is created equal.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water