Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We recently had the cold water hose break off the washer at the place where it goes into the washer. Fortunately we were able to catch it with no water damage. When we took the hose to a RV dealer to get a the said they never use the OEM hoses as they are "junk".He said they use the ones supplied for regular home washers. We changed out both hoses with ones from Home Depot.

The back of the machine is easily accessed thru the dresser in our 06 Journey by pulling out a couple of drawers.

Just wanted to pass this on as a heads up.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
paz
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the heads-up. Went right back and checked our hoses and they look brand new (except for a little dust back there behind the washer). I do have to say though, the OEM hoses don't look to be very substantial.

I've had the hoses on the washer at home burst and it isn't fun in a laundry room with a tile floor with a drain. Can't imagine that happening in an RV. I used to change out the hoses at home every couple of years just to prevent the problem. I'll check into new hoses next time I'm at Home Depot or Lowe's. I used to get the SS braided hoses at home. Don't know if they still have those or not.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We've been through that. Splendide hoses have plastic 90% end pieces at the washer. I supposed the motion of the water-filled hose caused the plastic to fail. I replaced both hoses with ones having steel ends and SST braided covering.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jcous --
Thanks for the "heads-up". It seems like there is always something to go wrong with these RVs, and learning from each other is what makes this Forum so great. We have a 2004 Meridian 36G so I appreciate the fact we can get to the back of the washer thru the dresser.
I definitely intend to look at my hoses tomorrow, as we use the washer/dryer several times a week when on our 2 month trips and I can imagine Murphy's Law going into action on one of our trips.
If you ever need to have your washer worked on, be sure to see if the Tech can get to the parts by removing the top of the washer and coming in behind thru the dresser instead of removing the whole washer. We've had 3 water leaks in ours due to inaccurate winterizing instruction from Splendide, and twice we were in Oregon at the distributor while on vacation and the Tech replaced the parts without ever moving the washer, which we were very gratefull for his ability to do this.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Just when it was safe not to talk about the hoses on the back of the WD someone had a failure.

My hoses are OE I believe and they are the same ones that were new in 2001 on our previous 37G. In 2003 we bought the 38G and the WD was transferred and the hoses came with it.

Still holding ....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jcous -
Just pulled the dresser drawers to look at my hoses behind the washer. I can see why they used plastic connections there for the 90 degree turns. New ones won't have that turn, did you have any problem useing household hoses with no 90 degree turns there in the back? Looks like a very tight fit with all the lines and electric cords.

Wagonmaster2
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wagonmaster2, the hoses I used were 4' and had enough flex in them to fit OK. It was a little tight but we fed them down from the top of the washer where the water connection are and it worked fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Jcous, will definitely give it a try. The hot connection in back looks pretty doable, but that cold connection is in behind a bunch of wires and things which is going to be tight.
Isn't it great that we can get in behind through the dresser? Often wondered how it would be if the washer was mounted in a back corner.

Wagonmaster2
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

wagonmaster, as I said earlier, you can buy household washer hoses with a 90* fitting on one end.
re: winterizing a Splendide; just set the temp control to medium/centered, the cycle control to rinse only. Run the washer until you see ~ 1" pink water in the tub, then let the washer pump this out. Shut off washer and its done.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray,IN:
re: winterizing a Splendide; just set the temp control to medium/centered, the cycle control to rinse only. Run the washer until you see ~ 1" pink water in the tub, then let the washer pump this out. Shut off washer and its done.
Ray, That's exactly how it's done but shouldn't we want to be talking about de-winterizing as soon as possible .....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray,IN:
wagonmaster, as I said earlier, you can buy household washer hoses with a 90* fitting on one end.
Thanks Ray, I wanted the SS ones but could only find the rubber hoses with the 90 degree ends at Lowes.
As a caution, If you set your temp control to medium (or warm) you will end up with a frozen water distributor on the top part of the washer. I followed Splendid's instructions to a T the first winter and the next spring had a leak. When I called Splendid, they said "Oh Oh", our instruction book was wrong. They told me that if there is no water pressure from the water heater there will be no water (antifreeze) going thru the hot side of the water distributor when the temp control is set to medium. Their new instructions said to do it once with the temp set on Hot and again with it set on Cold. This way antifreeze gets thru the cold side and also thru the hot side of the distributor. I have done it this way 4 winters now here in Northern Oklahoma with temperatures in the single digits and no leaks. If you followed their original instructions, either you were lucky or your weather wasn't overly cold.

Wagonmaster2
Old 02-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
paz
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks Ray, I wanted the SS ones but could only find the rubber hoses with the 90 degree ends at Lowes.
Wagonmaster2
WalMart sells 90 degree brass elbows with hose connections in their RV section. These are intended for use with your water hose hook-up on the outside of the RV, but I plan to use a pair of the elbows with the SS braided hoses with straight ends from HD or Lowe's to replace the original hose on our Splendide.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

My water heater bypass charges all hot water lines when the valves are set correctly. Their instruction are correct-IF you use a bypass kit.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by paz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Ray, I wanted the SS ones but could only find the rubber hoses with the 90 degree ends at Lowes.
Wagonmaster2
WalMart sells 90 degree brass elbows with hose connections in their RV section. These are intended for use with your water hose hook-up on the outside of the RV, but I plan to use a pair of the elbows with the SS braided hoses with straight ends from HD or Lowe's to replace the original hose on our Splendide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paz, thanks for the idea on the 90 degree elbows. Although I had enough space behind my washer to use SS hose I am going to use them to take pressure off the plastic connections at the washer.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Jcous try Ace Hardware, I found one there a few years ago that had the 90 deg bend on one end. Have tag on hose but not at trailer so I can get part# now.

Paul
Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I decided to replace mine with the rubber hoses that have a 90 degree bend on one end. I'd like the SS but I've used the 90 degree attachments for other things and sometimes its hard to stop them from leaking, and one more spot for a leak in back of the washer is something I don't need. Since the original hoses lasted 5 years and the new ones feel much more substantial with a metal 90 degree bend maybe they'll last another 5 years.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G