Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hanging clothes in the shower...any ideas?

Has anyone come up with a solution to hang cloths in the shower? I have an 06 Meridian 36 which has the shower with three sides (glass door in front) and glass on two sides if you get my drift. The sides that are fiberglass give just enough so when any weight is put on a cloths bar ( one of those store bought rods that has the springs built in) it falls when you put any weight on it. I am afraid to use the glass partitions for the rod as it might break the glass. I have thought about some kind of anchor system to the top of the walls for the rod since the walls and glass partitons do not go all the way to the ceiling. Somewhere I saw on here a solution but cannot locate it when I do a search. Any ideas? Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am not where I can go look at our coach, it is an Adventurer, but we used a shower curtain rod that you screw out to adust the length (as opposed to the spring loaded type) Ours has been up for several years and it has never moved.
The end caps have rubber cups so they don't sldie around on the walls.
Hope this helps.
SeaRay
Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I use a wall bracket that I picked up at Walmart or Lowes similar to this

ClosetMaid at Lowe's: Closet Rod Wall Bracket

It keeps the rod from sliding down the wall

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I went to Home depot and picked up a wood dowl or closet rod (about one inch in diameter) , cut it to fit diagnally across the top of the two glass portions, then while it was just laid in place, marked where it hit the top of the two shower partition walls then notched it so that it fits down on the top of them. Been using it for 7 years on two motor homes.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I bought a telescoping curtain rod and adjusted it to set on top of the fiberglass shower; it works well for hanging and can be removed for showering or travel.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
I went to Home depot and picked up a wood dowl or closet rod (about one inch in diameter) , cut it to fit diagnally across the top of the two glass portions, then while it was just laid in place, marked where it hit the top of the two shower partition walls then notched it so that it fits down on the top of them. Been using it for 7 years on two motor homes.
We did the exact same thing in our 2004 Meridian 36G. Also put rubber chair leg tips on each end so it can be stood in a corner or laid down without worrying about marking anything. Been using it for 5 years and works great for article of clothing we don't want to completely dry in the washer/dryer. Also bought a dehumidifier at Lowes to help keep the humidity down in the bathroom/kitchen area.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

One minor improvement. Go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a small piece of plastic corrugated (expandable, flexible) tubing in the plumbing department. Then slip it over the rod. This will keep the clothes from sliding around while traveling. Our Winnebago came with a removable closet rod that was already covered in this type of piping and it works great. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We use an adjustable shower rod across the top of the shower but I also have one across the entrance to the bedroom. I hang damp stuff there and with the ceiling fan on they dry quickly. We are in Florida so bought a dehumidifier and really like it. Also helps dry the laundry.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Has anyone come up with a solution to hang cloths in the shower? I have an 06 Meridian 36 which has the shower with three sides (glass door in front) and glass on two sides if you get my drift. The sides that are fiberglass give just enough so when any weight is put on a cloths bar ( one of those store bought rods that has the springs built in) it falls when you put any weight on it. I am afraid to use the glass partitions for the rod as it might break the glass. I have thought about some kind of anchor system to the top of the walls for the rod since the walls and glass partitons do not go all the way to the ceiling. Somewhere I saw on here a solution but cannot locate it when I do a search. Any ideas? Thanks
Our '02 Suncruiser has support 'dimples' or 'slots' on either end of the shower enclosure. I bought an adjustable rod and it holds a full load of stuff.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Like others, we use a couple of the "screw out" shower rods, one across the shower stall and the other in the toilet room of '05 Journey 36G. To keep things from sliding around on the road, we use cut-off sections of large black rubber insulation that is used for pipe insulation. It easily "clips" over the rod.

Suncircles
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G with 2006 CRV toad.
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Another idea entirely, when towing a car, use it as a dryer. A piece of pvc pipe and wires on each end to connect to the clothes hangers and you have a dryer. They will dry in two hours on a warm day with the windows closed. And they are hanging on hangers with no pressing.
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the replies and great ideas. When I get to Fl. this will be my first project among many others. Thanks gang.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Some one posted pictures on one of the forums, can't remember which one, where they used PVC in the form of a "T." The wall side was attached by using a closet rod bracket, the one that looks like a "U" that the end slips down into. Then using PVC, just let the ends sit on top of the frame of the shower. Use plastic hangers to hand the clothes on. Wish I could remember where the picture is.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Just wondering. You carry more cloths than you can put in the closet. I also take none of you use the shower as a shower. Never ran into that problem. With our A's or the class C.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

How about something like one of these? I have seen some in hotels that are near the water.
Good Luck !
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We are the second owners of our 2000 Adventurer 37G. There was an adjustable tension rod with rubber caps in the shower when we bought it. It stretched from the left shower wall, across up above the shower head, and the other end was pressed against the motorhome wall that's above & behind the glass. It was not pressed against the glass. I took it out and in the 3 years that we've used the coach, I have never needed to put it back in. If I want to dry something, I either put it in the Splendide dryer or hang outside. We use the shower every day for showering, and it would annoy the heck out of me to have to remove clothes each time. I'm all about convenience, though.

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We use a length of 2" PVC pipe cut to fit over the shower walls near the wall. Have had no problems with this set up. The clothes dry much less wrinkled this way. The dryer wrinkles the clothes .

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote