Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I finally got around to pulling the plug on the bottom of the HW heater on my 04 Vectra 40AD. Holy cow! The stuff that came rolling out was amazing!

White chunks, yellow chunks and water that looked like it came from a bayou in August.

I let the city water run to flush it out and then cleaned off the rod on the end of the plug (an anode???). It only took about 15 minutes. We got this unit a few months ago and slowly I am checking off the maintenance stuff that I suspect the previous owner had avoided.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I finally got around to pulling the plug on the bottom of the HW heater on my 04 Vectra 40AD. Holy cow! The stuff that came rolling out was amazing!

White chunks, yellow chunks and water that looked like it came from a bayou in August.

I let the city water run to flush it out and then cleaned off the rod on the end of the plug (an anode???). It only took about 15 minutes. We got this unit a few months ago and slowly I am checking off the maintenance stuff that I suspect the previous owner had avoided.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yup - minerals that have precipitated out of the water. I'm not certain about this, but I think using a water softener will minimize the accumulation.

Note to self: drain water heater

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

One thing I would consider doing is reinstall the WH plug, put some fresh water in the holding tank and (1) gal of generic white vinegar per 15 gals of water. 3 gals of vinegar and 40 - 45 gals of water would be sufficent. Turn on the pump and open every faucet until you smell the vinegar. Let sit for 3-4 hrs so the vinegar will dissolve any gunk, calium in the lines and fixtures. Drain the tank and WH then refill with fresh water and run through the lines. This should be done at minimum once a yr along with sanitizing your system with bleach. (1/4-1/2 cup per 15 gals using the same steps. We would also replace the anode rod in our Suburban WH once a year. Cheap insurance. You could also get one of these for cleaning out the WH here
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=1562

or herehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ing-tool/14677
Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">cleaned off the rod on the end of the plug (an anode???). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you have an Atwood water heater, it SHOULD NOT have an anode rod in it.

I am a fulltimer, and drain and flush my WH tank at least 3 times a year. Every time I flush it (with a flush wand on the end of a hose) I get large white chuncks out. A WH that has never been flushed probably will have a LOT of crud in it!!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used to have the same crud when I flushed the water heater. On our last two rigs I've used a water softener and now when I flush (every 6 months) I get a few flakes, sometimes nothing at all. As a fulltimer, our systems are always in use, and some locations (like here in Texas) have very hard water. I'd urge you to look into getting a portable water softener and test strips; there are numerous posts about which type people like best. I use the On-the-Go and am pleased with it's performance and ease of recharging.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wicked Whippets, review this thread for ideas on flushing WH.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/...10956641#49310956641
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Gary:

Thanks! Great info. I also like the idea of white vinegar...I wonder if CLR would be safe to use in it, too?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicked Whippets:
Gary:

Thanks! Great info. I also like the idea of white vinegar...I wonder if CLR would be safe to use in it, too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just make sure you can get the CLR flushed from the lines or it might flush/clean "your" pipes more than you want.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

That don't seem too unusual to me. I do drain mine several times a year and flush when I do. If you really want to see crud, drain your home water heater. If you have not in several years, it may be clogged above the drain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote