Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

grey water tank level indicator

Gents...have another problem now...

I have a used 05 Journey... The indicator lights on the black/grey/fresh water have been working fine. Suddenly the other day after emptying the tanks, the grey water tank reads 1/3 when empty and then seems to read from that level very quickly reading full when it is not even close to full.

Any ideas on what would make it read 1/3 when empty? I could understand it reading on the low end or not at all due to dirty sensors or something.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The indicator may have gone bad. But I would flush the tank real good...and try a few times. You may have something stuck on or around the indicator that is causing the problem. They are sensors and a blockage near them may be a culprit. Good luck.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
Gents...have another problem now...

I have a used 05 Journey... The indicator lights on the black/grey/fresh water have been working fine. Suddenly the other day after emptying the tanks, the grey water tank reads 1/3 when empty and then seems to read from that level very quickly reading full when it is not even close to full.

Any ideas on what would make it read 1/3 when empty? I could understand it reading on the low end or not at all due to dirty sensors or something.

Mark
You have TruLevel sensors, so there is nothing inside the tank that has to do with the indicating system. That being said, you may have something stuck to the side of the tank.

FWIW, I recently had a fluorescent light with a RF filter going bad that caused my TruLevel to read wrong.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Trulevel sensors act like switches that close when they detect liquid. They are in series. If any one of them one fails closed or if something wet is stuck in front of any of them, the display will read 1/3.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use 1/2 cup sunlight after every dump...no more indicator troubles.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had our new 12 Sunova at the factory in Oct getting a couple items fixed. One of which was the gray tank sensor which was reading 1/3 when empty. What I found out was that I had put something in the bay area where the sensors are located and it had moved up against the sensor and was sort of shorting it out. They removed the item and the tank sensor worked great. Don't know but it might be the same problem I had.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
We had our new 12 Sunova at the factory in Oct getting a couple items fixed. One of which was the gray tank sensor which was reading 1/3 when empty. What I found out was that I had put something in the bay area where the sensors are located and it had moved up against the sensor and was sort of shorting it out. They removed the item and the tank sensor worked great. Don't know but it might be the same problem I had.
I don't remember the number of inches the instructions specified, but he stick-on sensors and the wires are supposed to be several inches from metal. Maybe you had something metallic leaning against or close to one of the sensors?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

ClayL....

I will have to crawl under the coach and locate the grey water tank and sensors. I looked inside the basement compartments and can see nothing that looks like sensor wires.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
ClayL....

I will have to crawl under the coach and locate the grey water tank and sensors. I looked inside the basement compartments and can see nothing that looks like sensor wires.

Mark

You won't find the sensors underneath the coach. You can probably get a glimpse from your sewer compartment. The black and grey tanks should be above the dump valves. The sensors are on the drivers side. On my coach I had to remove some of the compartment components as well as a panel forward of the sewer compartment to access the sensors.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
You won't find the sensors underneath the coach. You can probably get a glimpse from your sewer compartment. The black and grey tanks should be above the dump valves. The sensors are on the drivers side. On my coach I had to remove some of the compartment components as well as a panel forward of the sewer compartment to access the sensors.
As ernieh said the sensors aren't visible from underneath. Winnebago encloses the three tanks in a compartment so hot air from the furnace keeps them warm. Usually the warm air also blows into the service compartment to some degree.

I have to remove a long access panel behind two adjoining compartment doors on the passenger side to access the gray water tank sensors.
The sensors are three black squares stuck on the side of the tanks with wires between each square and two wires going back to the display panel.

Tags
tank, water