Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Grey water into black water holding tank

I recently purchased a 2002 Itasca Sunrise 30W. My first Winnebago product. It is apparent after tests, that the grey water from the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink are running into the black water holding tank, causing it to fill quickly. It seems the only grey water going to the grey water tank is from the shower. This does not seem right. Anyone have a similar experience?

Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my Journey, bathroom sink and toilet go into black tank. The kitchen sink and shower go into gray water. So far not a problem.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ed......I will investigate further.

Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm surprised at the kitchen sink going in black tank, but it is common for the bathroom sink to drain into black tank. Bathroom sink gets little water flow and the liquid helps the black tank flow better.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

N4UUX here. I really think that something else is going on here my friend. When you say "after test" what do you mean. I think there is a simple test for this. First, open both your black and grey water tank dump valves. Put on one of the readily available transparent dump hose connectors. Then, run your various water sources. You will very quickly be able to determine what tank each water source drains to.

I'm very sure that the only thing going to your black tank is your toilet. I know it sounds crazy but is is possible you had your cap on the dump hose connection and had the black and grey tank dump valves open during your test. This would have effectively cross-connected your tanks.

Winnebago is a well established company with years of experience producing quality motorhomes. I seriously doubt that your coach rolled off the line with anything other than the toilet going to the black tank. Their may have been some aftermarket modifications though. You never know what people will do with a motorhome!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to all. I will proceed with tests as suggested and report back.

Respectfully.......Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

According to the diagram
Plumbing Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...f30w_plumb.pdf
Your kitchen sink & shower should go into the grey.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

But I could be wrong. The diagrams arent obvious.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again to all. I will investigate further.

R/Jim
Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Of all the stupid ideas motorhome manufacturers came up with, The dumbest was to route soapy water into the black tank to help keep the probes clean. The manuf. were paying dealers for probe testing and troubleshooting. Some smart engineer (who never camped a day in his life) said lets route water from the sink and help clean the probes. Even Airstream, who is usually in the know, jumped on the bandwagon. Most of the manuf. have tried this at some point. I am sure yours came from the factory this way.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Of all the stupid ideas motorhome manufacturers came up with, The dumbest was to route soapy water into the black tank to help keep the probes clean. ,,,,,,,,,,,. I am sure yours came from the factory this way.
I did not know that. All this time, I've assumed my bathroom sink draining into the black tank was to save 50 cents on their cost of plumbing supplies.

FWIW, my "probes" are on the outside of the tank.....and yet they still don't work very well Should I spray them with soapy water?
Ed
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Winnebago is a well established company with years of experience producing quality motorhomes. I seriously doubt that your coach rolled off the line with anything other than the toilet going to the black tank.
Winnebago-built coaches for many years now have plumbed the bathroom sink to the black tank. My understanding of the reason, as stated above, is to get a bit more liquid into the black tank to aid in dumping. Most folks fill the gray tank much faster than the black, so for most folks this is not an issue.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
N4UUX here.

Winnebago is a well established company with years of experience producing quality motorhomes. I seriously doubt that your coach rolled off the line with anything other than the toilet going to the black tank. Their may have been some aftermarket modifications though. You never know what people will do with a motorhome!
The next time you talk to a factory rep. Ask about this. I can tell you for a fact that The Winnebago did this.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
On my Journey, bathroom sink and toilet go into black tank. The kitchen sink and shower go into gray water. So far not a problem.
Same with my 2004 Winnebago Adventurer.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 96 Itasca and the bathroom sink goes into the blackwater tank the kitchen and shower go to the gray water.
DFWtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post

I'm very sure that the only thing going to your black tank is your toilet.
Simply not true.

I had always thought the purpose of routing non-toilet water to the black tank was to balance how quickly the black and grey tanks filled. We will fill our grey tank many times faster than our black.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My previous coach, a Safari Trek, had the bath lav plumbed to the black tank. Made it easy to add a couple gallons to the black tank after dumping.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Simply not true.

I had always thought the purpose of routing non-toilet water to the black tank was to balance how quickly the black and grey tanks filled. We will fill our grey tank many times faster than our black.

Rick
As well, we have had a few Winnebagos, as well as other brands. Many of them had the bathroom sink plumbed to the black tank. As well as our current Windsport. But I've not yet found a kitchen sink plumbed there.

GL Arnold
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Ditto several previous replies - I don't see the problem with the bathroom sink draining into the black tank. Provides additional liquid to flush the solids out. Our washer and shower share a gray tank, with the dishwasher and kitchen sink draining to other gray tank.

Tags
tank, water