Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Grey tank sensor

I have a 2014 Meridian 40U add lately the Grey tank #2 sensor stays on 1/3 full. I think it is the tank that is next to the black tank and both tanks are so well hidden inside the coach that you cannot even see the sensors. I have been parked for three months and getting ready to move to a new location. Has anyone had a similar problem like this? With the sensors located outside the tank, I am wondering if I have some blockage inside the tank. Any suggestions?

Bill
callie57702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie57702 View Post
I have a 2014 Meridian 40U add lately the Grey tank #2 sensor stays on 1/3 full. I think it is the tank that is next to the black tank and both tanks are so well hidden inside the coach that you cannot even see the sensors. I have been parked for three months and getting ready to move to a new location. Has anyone had a similar problem like this? With the sensors located outside the tank, I am wondering if I have some blockage inside the tank. Any suggestions?

Bill
callie57702
My grey tank panel lights have displayed 1/3 for over16 years when the tank is empty....however the 2/3 and full inductors have always been accurate.
BTW, very few indicator panels show the correct black or gray levels, but most do show freash water correctly.
(IMO, it is something most RVers learn to live with).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When you get ready for your next road trip, add some Dawn soap to a 1/3 full tank and leave it there until your next overnight. Drain, rinse and check meter. Could be build-up on inside of tank walls.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We are having the same problem. Also been parked in SPI, TX. For three months.
Not to worry soon as we start traveling again I believe they will correct it self.
See Sig.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Every so often mine will also stay at 1/3. I believe it is buildup on the inside walls. When it does this, I will fill with warm water till it reads 2/3, add some dawn dish soap and dump at next stop.

FWIW, When our coach was new, I calibrated my grey water tank, adding water in 2 gallon increments:

Book says tank is 60 gal.
1/3 Lights up at 30 gals
2/3 Lights up at 44 gals
Full Lights up at 56 gals
Old 03-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Holding tank sensors

How about if you have a bad ground? A friend is having trouble with all his sensors on a new Adventurer. The diagram shows that the sensors all have a common ground. The problem with that is, finding the grounded connection. Anyway, I think my problems lies with a long term stay and the inside of the tank needs a dawn cleaning. The sensor is stuck on 1/3 but changes to 2/3 when the level gets there. FYI
callie57702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Many who have experience this issue have, like ghutch, have solved the problem by adding Dawn (original blue) to the tank. My formula is to add 1 cup of Dawn, 1 cup of Calgon (water softener), and water - apx 1/4 to 1/3 tanks worth. Drive, slosh, and dump. It may take repeated applications to remove residue caked to the side of the tank. You can also add 10-20 lbs of ice after adding the dawn and/or calgon and water to provide some friction.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Would that formula be OK for the black water tank, too?
TinStarArabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie57702 View Post

Bill
Hi Bill,

Don't be discouraged. This is a common problem that is fixable.

Do you leave the grey valve open or closed when camping? Do you wipe the grease off your dishes and pans before you wash them?

Here is the fix but it will happen over time and travel. The advise is with the caution for the amount of water you have in the holding tank when you travel. You want to keep it under a half for weight reasons.

The fix solution: We use two coffee mugs of Walmart brand cheap dishwasher power and the same amount of baking soda. Dissolve in a pot of hot water and pour into the sink drain. As you drive this will work on the sludge buildup in your tank. Dump when the tank reads full and then add one mug of each product dissolved in hot water. Keep doing this till the gauge reads correctly. Once it is working correctly keep the grey valve ope when camping. This will help keep the crud buildup down.

We use the one mug solution in out black tank after we dump. The gauges work fine and there is not smell when flushing.

Let us know how this works for you.

Happy and safe travels,
Rick Y
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the same external sensors and have experienced this issue as well. I have tried a few remedies but have had the most success with RID-X in the holding tanks when the coach is not in use and let it stand for a week or longer with at least enough water in the tank to cover the area giving the issue. It seems to work consistently.
What I do is when I am returning home from the last night out, I dump then add the RID-X and than add 1/3 tank or so of water to the holding tanks. This sloshes around on the return trip then I let it stand until the next trip. This has worked consistently for the last 2 years.

Safe Travels,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinStarArabs View Post
Would that formula be OK for the black water tank, too?

Yes, we have done this in the black tank as well with good resluts

Tags
tank