Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone came up with a way to increase the size of the grey water tank? I am looking a 36RD but the tanks size are 48/52 and I have a 65 now in my newmar sure could use bigger tanks for dry camping.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone came up with a way to increase the size of the grey water tank? I am looking a 36RD but the tanks size are 48/52 and I have a 65 now in my newmar sure could use bigger tanks for dry camping.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We dry camp, 3 up, for a week or more. Here's what we've done.

Get an add-on knife valve and install it in the dump line. That way, you can close the added dump line valve, open the gray, and then open the black for a few seconds. The gray will equalize with the black (shut the black first, before it quits running) and give you about another 20 gallons of real world capacity.

I'd recommend making sure the dump hoses are hooked up before you pull the add-on, though - or you'll have a mess, even with both the black and gray closed.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I built a transfer pump system to inject gray water into the black tank. The pump is a Little Giant 110V pump (as I recall) with a dump outlet to hose adapter. The output side of the pump hooks up to the black tank flush connector.

This gives us probably two or three more days dry camping ability.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John
I really like your idea with the little giant pump. I looked at their website and now am wondering if you could be a little more specific on which pump to use. This could be handy at GNR.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #6

We have a 75 gal gray water tank in ours....I don't know how people get by with a smaller tank! (now I know)
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi, We also dry camp for several weeks each year at different parks, relatives ect. I have found the best solution for us was to add a Sanicon Macerator Pump sani system. You can pump up to 300 feet away and up hill to 15 feet above the tank. For places the septic tank or dump station is to far I have purchased a 65 Gal Plastic holding tank and added a on off valve at the bottom to hook the 1 inch drain hose to. This will allow you to pump both gray and black tanks to the tank sitting in the back of your pickup truck or trunk of your car. Emty the holding tank only weights 40 lbs so is easy to load unload. Works great.
Good Luck