Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question gray water sensors

Greetings, I own a 2001 Winnie Adventurer MH (32V). I would like to replace the gray water tank sensors since they cannot be trusted to indicate the correct level. I cannot figure out how to get to the sensors. They are on the passenger side of the MH, under the floor, of course, and are aft of the fresh water tank that is visible from the cargo bay. There is a panel between the fresh water tank and the gray tank. The next cargo bay aft is small and completely sealed so you cannot see the gray tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry
glfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #2

Hmm.. you can add new ones in an area you can get too..: Holding Tank Monitor Probes - New Design - which require drilling

Or

You can simply stick new ones to the outside: RV SensaTank 100 - change the system out and dont worry about the probes again..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That Sensa Tank unit looks inviting has any one ever installed the set up, I'm kind of concerned about the "if it's too good to be true" syndrome.

The reliability of my gray and black indicators have been a petty nuisance since I picked this coach up a few months ago.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You can upgrade your system to the newer "True Level" system. No need to get to the old sensors, just the plug for the harness.

I converted mine about 5 years ago and have had no problems since.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
That Sensa Tank unit looks inviting has any one ever installed the set up
There is somebody on here.. thats how I found hem. Forgot who though
Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

TrueLevel is the same thing..

http://itascaimpulse.com/products/ke.../truelevel.php
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly, install the sensors on the outside of the tanks then just plug into the existing wire harness and use the already installed indicator panel?

I just have to ask as sometimes I can be slow
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

SeeLevel II is the one I installed in my 04 Journey 34H.
You can place the SeeLevel II sensors on each tank and then use existing wiring to the "one panel" where the old tank sensor readouts are located. You must add the active circuit module that reads the new sensors and then displays. If you have an older "one panel" the Solar panel LED may have to be salvaged but not too difficult.
Here's what I did:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/seel...led-67762.html

I have been very happy with the results. Never get a false tank level indication anymore.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking about it and went to the coach this morning and found the rather large panel like yours and have since decided rather than cut it up I'm just going to install the SeeLevel unit and use two control panels and mount the new control somewhere more convenient for running the wires and use the OEM one as a back up..

I don't know where the tanks are located exactly so that will determine the layout.

I'm not going to look for the tanks this morning as the bus is now under about 8 to 18" of snow depending on where you look at it, time to dig the plow out, move some things around and get it in side. It has the heat set at 47 degrees since I got back last week and have been too lazy to do anything except sit and think.

Thanks for the topic post.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There should be an access panel that can be removed to expose the gray tank sensors. Mine is behind a bay door on the curb side and above the storage compartment.
It is attached with a bunch of screws and sealed with a very aggressive black butyl compound. I found it easiest to pull the panel out a little and cut the compound with a utility knife as I pulled on the panel more.

I had the TrueLevel system installed at the Winnebago factory in 2005.
It will fail if the tank walls get crudded up enough. My gray tank shows 2/3 full when it is empty and the black tank always indicates full.
I have pressure washed the walls of the black tank and the readings are good for a while and then the tank walls get dirty and it messes up again.

The Horst holding tank monitor probes mentioned above by Jim have had good reports so far and are much cheaper than the electronic types.

The SeeLevel system will also fail if the tank walls get too cruddy. It doesn't give bad readings though, it just quits indicating. The manual says this is your indication that the tank needs to be cleaned.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the info. You gave me a lot of leads to check out.

ClayL, I saw that panel you described and thought the probes would be right behind it but it didn't look like it was made to take out. Especially when I noticed the black sealant. I thought an access panel would be made more user friendly. No problem, your thoughts confirmed mine so I'll attack it this winter.

As far as installing exterior sensors I can't get access to the gray water tank anywhere else but at the end with the factory probes (and panel). I think once I make the panel removable I will stick with original style probes and just change out as required.

Regards,
Jerry
glfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #13

Then i would suggest upgrading to the first probes I linked to.. less prone to fouling.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Then i would suggest upgrading to the first probes I linked to.. less prone to fouling.
Thank you both I think that's the way I'm going to go also since the other system still appears to be subject to gray areas so to speak.

This thread has made my days reading very worthwhile.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly, install the sensors on the outside of the tanks then just plug into the existing wire harness and use the already installed indicator panel?

I just have to ask as sometimes I can be slow
Not quite. You have to replace the circuit board that has the level lights also. Very easy to do.

Also, just to be clear, you have to install the new sensors on all three tanks. The propane circuit remains the same.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote