Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have an '03 Itasca Subncruiser 33V. After complete dumping of both black and gray water tanks, the gray water guage reads 3/4. Any quick fixes or is this a trip to the dealer?

Best,

Pat

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have an '03 Itasca Subncruiser 33V. After complete dumping of both black and gray water tanks, the gray water guage reads 3/4. Any quick fixes or is this a trip to the dealer?

Best,

Pat

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you check it today it my be at ZERO
Mine has the same problem. I have flushed the tank and fixed the problem. I don't trust that system.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

They can take a while to dry off. Right after you've dumped the walls are probably still wet, which can give you a false reading.

Other than that, yeah, they don't work great.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Your tank level is optained using probes. If you can get to the probes, they are simple to fix. You will see screws with a wire attached and screwed into a rubber plug. The screw can be removed, then pull the rubber plug out. Wipe the plug, and screw off and reinstall. If the rubber plug looks crudded up and you can't clean it you can purchase a full set of probes (4 probes per tank) for about $5.00 from your dealer. Repeating, the hard part is getting to the probes. I find I have to clean my black probes every couple of months to keep them working correctly.

Starting in 05 Winnebago started using a probeless system. In some cases you can upgrade your coach to the new system. Check with your dealer.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gang:

Thanks for the response to my question. I'll take Ptribbey's advice and try to find the probe.

I'll report back with the results.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

With much success I have cleaned the tanks in the following manner. Dump the tanks, rinse if possible. Take a bucket of hot water and add a cup of Calgon Water Softner. Then as the soft water solution is ajitated by the travel motion it will clean out your tank. It worked for me.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2003 Suncruiser 33V. The tank sensors were never reliable but that's not unique to that RV, it's common to all holding tanks. The problem is that the sensors sample the inside of the tank and are subject to false readings all the time. I had the same type of setup on my Allegro Bus but I installed the SeeLevel system of external tank sensors and that problem has been eliminated. Winnebago now uses an external tank sensor system but the SeeLevel is even better and it allows digital accuracy and display. Rather than the typical 1/3, 2/3, Full readings you get a digital readout accurate to 2%. The have a number of different panels and you can have multiple panels. I ran a larger one with battery volts-fresh water-gray water-black water-propane-inside temp-and outisde temp upstairs then mounted a smaller unit in the basement water service compartment to keep an eye on the tanks when dumping and/or filling.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Won't help an '03 model but Winnebago went to external sensors on all '05 and later coaches.

You may be able to upgrade your '03.

currently parked at Apache CG, lot #79, Myrtle Beach
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Cruzer:

Thanks for the info on the SeeLevel Guage.

What model guages did you get? Pricing info would be appreciated if you don't mind. Where did you get them and could installation be handled by a slightly mechanically inclined retired banker, or should installation be left to a dealer.

Thanks for the help.