Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I know the stock tank level indicator system in MOHO's like mine are a piece of junk. I've played with them enough to accept that they are history in the very near future but in the meantime I have a problem I am hoping I can get a little help with.

My gray tank indicator has gone to indicating FULL even after dumping it. I know part or even most of the problem is the indicator system itself. But I suspect some of the problem is build up on the inside of the tank itself. Unlike the black tank there is no rinse connector nor is there an opening large enough to get some kind of rinsing tool in to rince it out. I have tried to get a water hose up the dump but cannot get by the elbow.

How do you rinse out the gray tank to clean it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I know the stock tank level indicator system in MOHO's like mine are a piece of junk. I've played with them enough to accept that they are history in the very near future but in the meantime I have a problem I am hoping I can get a little help with.

My gray tank indicator has gone to indicating FULL even after dumping it. I know part or even most of the problem is the indicator system itself. But I suspect some of the problem is build up on the inside of the tank itself. Unlike the black tank there is no rinse connector nor is there an opening large enough to get some kind of rinsing tool in to rince it out. I have tried to get a water hose up the dump but cannot get by the elbow.

How do you rinse out the gray tank to clean it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Adrian, I have heard of using laundry Water Softner to clean both the Black and Gray tanks. To clean the black tank I have ran a hose in the window and filled it through the comode.
I supose you could do the same thing by running water down the sinks or shower.
I use a Flush King on my sewer connection so I can back fill either tank as well as the rinse connector that came with the coach.
Of course they all tell you to fill and DRIVE around to agitate the tank.. but I have had good luck sitting still. I would think any good detergent/cleaner would do the job. Of course let it stay in the tank awhile and give it time to work.
I leave the gray tank valve open when parked. Good Luck ,,Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Jimmy, shouldn't you be saving some of the gray water to rinse the black stuff out after dumping?

Adrian, my Vectra has a black rinse....that must be new for '06?

(Got the Canon camera today....oooh lala!!)
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bob, with the Flush King, it takes care of all that. I think Adrian has the black rinse, he was concerned bout the grey. I too have the black rinse..

With the Gray Tank Valve open at all times you do not have any water for rinsing, but neither do you have to worry about the tank overflowing. Use as much grey water as you like.. I carry a second hose and that could be used to rinse the sewer hose. Snap ,,Snap,,did you get a picture?...I'm jealous
Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well guys;
I have had the same problem with both a 97 Adventure and my present Chieftain. I was able to correct both of them by adjusting the sensitivity adjustments on the back of the panel. I made sure my tanks were clean and empty. I removed the panel, located the 2 sensitivity adjusters which are inside of 2 small holes on the back of the panel. I backed them off until the light went off and raised it to the point they barely came on. I played with it a couple of times but now my lights work fine and I am not unhappy with them. You will need a small screw driver to turn the screw adjusters.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Jimmy......black....grey....guess I should've read for comprehension....

Yes Jim....got the picture!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I use Calgon water softener in both of my tanks about once a month or so. I mix 1/2 cup of it in a hot bucket of water and pour it down the toilet and the sink. I would then fill the grey tank as much as possible with warm to hot water and drive it around if possible. Since you dont know really when it is full, initially, you might want to fill it using a gallon or two gallon bucket thru the sink so you can measure how much you are putting in it.
The other suggestion of adjusting the back of the panel is a possible solution also.

Another thing you can do is either replace the whole system with the Seelevel as sold at rvupgrades or replace the grey resistor harness attached to the side of the tank. The harness or resistor itself might be bad. I had one go bad shortly after I bought the rig.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I just tried a tank cleaning procedure outlined by Paul of 3-T's on my trip last month. Worked great, my sensors now settle down after about 5 minutes of stopping. Fill tanks 1/2 full of water, add 1/2 cup powder laundry soap to each tank (I used the cheapest I could find at the Dollar store) , drive to destination, empty. Just like a washing machine.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Your 2006 Ecllipse has external tank sensors. If you read full when your tank is empty you probably have a wiring problem.

My Winnebago TrueSensor gauge system works great.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I installed a No Fuss Flush in my gray tank. We had as odor when the vacuum breaker failed. I flush the gray along with the black when dumping.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Bob - your new Essex will have a rinse on both the black AND the gray tanks. Nice.

Jim - I bought some Calgon today to try it out.

Tom N - my gauges have never worked properly. I fussed around with them and got the black to read empty when empty but then the gray went to 1/3 full and that was that. It was not going to be changed. Now it reads full - oh well

dawg - Where did you get a No Fuss Flush and how much work was it to install on your gray tank.

Thanks for all the input.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Like Jim, I use the Flush King. I bought it when I had the old Adventurer since it had no tank flush connections. Now I use the Flush King to back flush the grey tank. It really does get it clean. I do throw one of the Oxychem holding tank baggies I get from Walmart in both the black and grey tanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Adrian do a search and you'll find a few sources for the NO FUSS Flush. Check out the Flush King tho it is very easy to hook up and use...you might like it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have a Flush King (or similar product) also, but I have found that the various bends in the plumbing system prevent it from working efficiently. I got a Turbo or Tornado flush kit from Camping World (about $25) and plan on putting that into the black tank. Will see if I have space to put into the grey (gray) tank at the same time. If I do, I will purchase another one locally. I like the adjustment of the sensor. I might try that as when empty I still get some colored lights.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Having lived with the same headaches posted here, I called Winnebago today. They advised I do the following 2 steps....

1) Remove each probe, one at a time, clean with a wire brush and wipe clean, replace probe and check indicators, then do the next probe. I did this and still 2 lights were on but the grey water tank was very empty.

2) They then told me to remove the indicator panel and adjust the sensistivity setting such that the 1/3 light just blinks a little. I did this and lo it looks OK now.

We are going on short trip this weekend to the mountains...dry camping, so I will report what I see happen.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On my Adventurer I was able to access the gray tank by removing the panel above the LP tank. This panel had 15-20 sheet metal screws holding it in place along with some black putty. The end of the tank was exposed there. I used a hole saw (Big Lots)and installed the flush. The tricky part was fishing a hose to the other side so I had both connections in the water compartment. Total time of installation was about 1 hour.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

http://tinyurl.com/moyhy

Here's a great discussion that changed my mind about what I would buy.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
Having lived with the same headaches posted here, I called Winnebago today. They advised I do the following 2 steps....

1) Remove each probe, one at a time, clean with a wire brush and wipe clean, replace probe and check indicators, then do the next probe. I did this and still 2 lights were on but the grey water tank was very empty.

2) They then told me to remove the indicator panel and adjust the sensistivity setting such that the 1/3 light just blinks a little. I did this and lo it looks OK now.

We are going on short trip this weekend to the mountains...dry camping, so I will report what I see happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you removed the probe do you pull out the rubber part? If so how? I tried to do this and it looked like I was about to tear up the rubber so I quit.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Your 2006 Ecllipse has external tank sensors. If you read full when your tank is empty you probably have a wiring problem.

My Winnebago TrueSensor gauge system works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your US map is reversed....
HandyDan is offline   Reply With Quote