Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Getting to back of water heater

I have a 2004 journey.What is the easiest way to get to the back of my water heater?THanks
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey. My HWH is below the TV in the living room. Access to the rear is by opening a door below the tv and removing a "blank" panel. You then have full access to the rear and both of the check valves. Had to replace one of mine. In your coach, I would carefully check the interior around where the rear of the HWH would sit for a panel that could be removed to provide access. Not sure if mine was pinned on or attached with screws. This area is one that the AC power and water supply connect to the unit so I would suspect you will find access simple once you start looking closely. Alternatively, you could call Winn and ask how to get at it. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

IN my bathroom below the washer dryer is a drawer.I pulled out the drawer the other day and there is a piece of wood. That is the only place I seen where it could be.THanks for the info!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerdog View Post
I have a 2004 journey.What is the best way to get to the back of the water heater? THanks
Is your heater above the coaches floor line , or in the basement area?
Above the floor there should be an interior panel to be removed, in the basement you may have to crawl into the basement to see what you want to see.
Perhaps a post in the Winnebago Owners forums with your Journey's model or floor plan number will get you the info you're after.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Do you have the MotorAid function? It uses engine coolant to warm the water in the heater while driving? If you do, the heater must be removed to access the back, but the only thing on the back are the outlets and fittings for the motoraid water jacket on the back of the water heater.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ray
I have motoraid on my 09 Journey and you can access the rear of the HWH from the side. The power, both water and motoraid hoses/connections are there as well. Must have changed the design since yours. I had absolutely no problem changing check valve on mine. Seems I had used too much pressure to blow it out when winterizing and the mechanism would not return to shut off the flow.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My water heater is in the basement between the bedroom and washer ,dryer.I looked sat. and all I can tell there is no way to get to it except in the basement. THanks
Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I would call Winnebago Customer Service to see if they can assist.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Itasca Sunrise, with the water heater in the basement compartment behind the right front tire, actually has a oval plastic pop out panel about 8" x 4" in the bottom, visible from under the coach, that gives access to the lines on the back of the water heater.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our Itasca is a basement mount. There is a removable metal panel between it and the rest of the compartment next to it
Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

On my old 2003 Journey 34, there were panels on the back and bottom. It's been a few years, but I was able to replace the check valve by removing them. Not a lot of room, but enough to do what needed doing.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys!I took the metal plate off the bottom of the w.h. and it has a plactic circle that unscrews from the back.I can get it now! THanks

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater