Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Frozen! I screwed up.

I had to go out of town unexpectedly and did not get Motorhome winterized. Came over to do it today and was too late, no water moving. Here's what I am doing. I am leaving furnace on tonight (no heat pump on my unit). Several of my storage bays are heated. I bought a small ceramic space heater and have it blowing under kitchen sink and towards the rear of the motor home. I have opened all cabinets where there is plumbing to allow air to circulate. I also have a cord with a light at the end. There is a 100 watt bulb in it and I am placing it in the compartment with the water pump and exterior shower.

Any other suggestions. Should I turn in the electric side of the water heater?

Much more cold weather coming to the Atlanta are over the next few days.

As always thanks for the help.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like you've pretty well got it covered, I'm not sure I would want to turn on the hot water heater if it's frozen in there. You may also want to open your low point drains so as the water thaws, it can drain out.

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you have one, I would also suggest removing your water filter canister, and if possible dump the water, or thaw the ice, and take out the filter. If it freezes the canister can/will crack.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The only othere thing I would do is open the outside door behind your refrigerator and put a light bulb in there. You can plug it in where your ice maker is plugged in. If you only have a single receptacle, use an adapter. I've had my ice maker lines freeze while on ski trips and you can do damage to the associated plumbing if it stays frozen too long.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Definitely turn on the hot water heater ... that is probably the most "expensive" thing to replace if anything is damaged ... (my brother-in-law forgot to drain his hot water heater when he winterized {Minnesota} ... he had to replace his hot water heater in the spring).

I think I would turn on the LP for your hot water heater ... I think I would turn it on and off in 15 minute intervals ... on 15 off 15 ....

I would also lift the pressure relief valve ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Yes turn on the hot water heater but on LP no electric. As far as your fresh water tank half full would take -10 for week to freeze solid. With furnace (LP) running you should be fine. BUT don't forget the black and gray holding tanks. If they are empty now, what water you run down the drain while blowing out the lines will be there. SO take a chance and dump on ground or add LOTS of anti-freeze.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank all of you for your help. I am hoping I'll be okay. It has not been cold enough, long enough here in Atlanta to do too much damage (I hope). I was afraid to leave the hot water heater on all night without being there (I keep it in a storage facility with 30 amp available). As for the ice maker, I removed it several years ago, so that won't be am issue.

Thanks again

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Open a cold water valve and head south until it starts running!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Open a cold water valve and head south until it starts running!
Best advice I have gotten in a long time.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

As far as the gray/black tanks, you can throw rock salt down the drain. It can help thaw/avoid freezing in those tanks if need be.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
I had to go out of town unexpectedly and did not get Motorhome winterized. Came over to do it today and was too late, no water moving. Here's what I am doing. I am leaving furnace on tonight (no heat pump on my unit). Several of my storage bays are heated. I bought a small ceramic space heater and have it blowing under kitchen sink and towards the rear of the motor home. I have opened all cabinets where there is plumbing to allow air to circulate. I also have a cord with a light at the end. There is a 100 watt bulb in it and I am placing it in the compartment with the water pump and exterior shower.

Any other suggestions. Should I turn in the electric side of the water heater?

Much more cold weather coming to the Atlanta are over the next few days.

As always thanks for the help.
My too! And in Atlanta too no less. Had my Winnie winterized but got tempted to take her out 3 weeks ago and procrastinated rewinterizing. Stupid hug! This morning she was frozen. Funny I did the same things that you are doing but it did not work out well. Don't turn on the water pump unless you have some help to look at the possible leaks. I didn't. Like a fool, I turned the pump on from the bay to see if it was working or leaking, by the time I got inside I had a flood in the bath/vanity and under the kitchen sink. It burst the purification filter and blew black carbon water everywhere. Blew the vanity cold water line and the hot water heater plug! Probably more I couldn't check yet. Crap. Plus we're going down to 4 degrees on Sunday/Monday. I have to finish tomorrow cause I have nowhere inside to put it. Bummed
Dave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5 View Post
My too! And in Atlanta too no less. Had my Winnie winterized but got tempted to take her out 3 weeks ago and procrastinated rewinterizing. Stupid hug! This morning she was frozen. Funny I did the same things that you are doing but it did not work out well. Don't turn on the water pump unless you have some help to look at the possible leaks. I didn't. Like a fool, I turned the pump on from the bay to see if it was working or leaking, by the time I got inside I had a flood in the bath/vanity and under the kitchen sink. It burst the purification filter and blew black carbon water everywhere. Blew the vanity cold water line and the hot water heater plug! Probably more I couldn't check yet. Crap. Plus we're going down to 4 degrees on Sunday/Monday. I have to finish tomorrow cause I have nowhere inside to put it. Bummed
That is terrible. I went back this evening and everything was thawed out. Bypassed and drained water heater and pumped antifreeze through all the lines. So far no signs of leaks. I may have gotten very lucky. By the way, I am in Dacula and store the motorhome in Buford.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
That is terrible. I went back this evening and everything was thawed out. Bypassed and drained water heater and pumped antifreeze through all the lines. So far no signs of leaks. I may have gotten very lucky. By the way, I am in Dacula and store the motorhome in Buford.
I read posts by those that live where winterization is important that you should also dump some anti-freeze into the sink and shower p-traps.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I read posts by those that live where winterization is important that you should also dump some anti-freeze into the sink and shower p-traps.
Good point, and yes I did this as well.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My buddy (SLC) forgot to drain his water heater last year. It split, but he was able to take it out and get it welded.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Just got home Sunday afternoon in VA after two weeks in FL. Did the fire drill to winterize. Sure glad I did given today's cold weather.

Check out your owner's manual for the winterization procedure to be sure you don't miss anything. Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Sorry about your dilemma GA Dawg Fan. During my review of all the responses to your problem I realized I myself overlooked something. Prior to leaving Myrtle Beach last week I added 15-20 gallons of FW to my Blackwater tank to get a rolling tank flush on the way home, forgot it, just went out and added 15 gal of hot water to the tank and dumped the system into my home septic connection and added a light to the access. Hope you've had no freeze damage.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Did you drain the water heater before it froze? If not, you may have a Serious issue there.. Good luck

I'd add additional heat in the wet bays as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Don`t forget to check the water pump. I broke one a couple of years ago when it froze.