Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Water tank problem.

When hooked up to shore water the fresh water tank slowly fills up and over flows. I have a 2001 Suncruiser G-32v on a Ford Chassis. I have replaced the city/tank valve several times but the water tank continues to fill when on shore water. I have a house water regulator that is adjusted to 45 PSI and is at that pressure. There are no visible indications of leaks as no water is found dripping from the coach until the tank overflows. Anyone have any ideas as to how the water tank can fill when the city/tank valve is in the city position?

Thanks, fulltimer01.
fulltimer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It is possible your pump internal valves are leaking, altho very unlikely. In any case, try closing the pump off from the system. Let us know what happens. Good luck!!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

City water fill

Dick - check for another possible valve that may affect the city/fresh tank fill plumbing circuit- I found this once on an earlier Gulfstream class A and one Winnebago class A and these were factory installed - after checking the way these two plumbing circuits were set up this is in addition to the city/fresh tank valve that is marked - this extra valve on those models was for cutting off the fresh tank if you used the city/fresh tank inlet to run antifreeze through for winterizing (if you did not use the RV water pump to put the antifreeze through and you had an external/auxilary pump that put antifreeze into the RV through the city/fresh tank inlet such as dealers have when they are winterizing lots of RV's)- I checked the owners manuals and factory plumbing diagrams but no mention on these 'extra' valves - you would think that if you put the marked city/fresh tank valve on City only then nothing would go to the fresh tank but on these two units this 'extra' valve had to be in the closed position all the time to prevent any antifreeze from getting into the fresh tank on that plumbing circuit - if you do have that extra valve located at your water station then try shutting it off when on city water to see if that works - I have only seen two RV's with this 'extra' valve - I guess its all in the way they plumb these things at the factory and as I mentioned I have only seen this twice.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions. This problem only started a couple of weeks ago and I have had the MH since it was new in 2001. I installed a Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 water pump a number of years ago, don't remember the year , but the Mfg date is 6-2003. BTW how does one close the pump off from the system as mentioned in one of the above replies?
fulltimer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hopefully you will find a ball valve at the fresh water tank outlet. Good luck!!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't know how easy this would be to do, but what if you disconnected the tank feed at the city/tank value and blocked that side of the valve off temporarily and then see if your tank fills. If not you might consider bringing a separate tank fill to the front panel if all else fails.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine is probably a completely different animal but when I fill my fresh water tank I turn a valve 90 degrees and after filling turn it back. I once didn't quite get it turned all the way back and had the symptom you describe. I doubt I turned the valve more than 10 degrees to get it fully turned.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Mine is probably a completely different animal but when I fill my fresh water tank I turn a valve 90 degrees and after filling turn it back. I once didn't quite get it turned all the way back and had the symptom you describe. I doubt I turned the valve more than 10 degrees to get it fully turned.

I had the same thing happen on a Sunova. The diverter valve was not completely in the city water position and the tank slowly filled until it overflowed.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote