Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fresh water pump opinions

Replacing the Shurflo 5.7 extreme water pump in my 2004 Adventurer. Not working very well and noisy.

Did a lot of reading and still up in the air on a replacement.

I did pickup a Shurflo 4008 with the quiet kit yesterday but considering retuning it possibility.

Some others I'm considering are the 4048 Shurflo or the Aquajet RV or ES models.

Wondering if I should step up to the 4048 or consider the Aquajet?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
I did pickup a Shurflo 4008 with the quiet kit yesterday but considering retuning it possibility.
My new Vista came with a 4008 and it was noisy as hell. Bought the little Surflo expansion tank completely silenced it and made the water flow more consistent. Seems like a good pump with the expansion tank. Not sure why Winnebago would cheap out on a $30 tank for something that is a huge quality of life difference.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Its interesting in your findings with the expansion tank as the 4008 manual says none required with its internal bypass valve.

Going stop and see how much more my dealer wants for the 4048. I think they carry the Aquajet as well.

Looking for equal performance as what I have and as quiet as I can get it. Don't mind moving up to the 4048 or Aquajet if its dollars well spent.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would imagine it's not required, but the pump is single speed, so what it does if your fixture isn't pulling the full output gpm of the pump is cycle on-off. Sounds like a bad water hammer and was actually causing the overhead LED lights to flicker probably due repeated startup amps being drawn.

Expansion tanks allows the pump to always run full blast until expansion tank is recharged regardless of how much the fixture is allowing downstream. Lights also not flickering anymore.

From now on the only pump I would think about not running an expansion tank on would be a variable speed, even then it would probably help, why not for so cheap. Took me about 10 minutes to install right after the pump.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

From what I read on the Shurflo Revolution 4008. The internal bypass is to prevent pump cycling on low demand in place of the variable speed.

I read a lot of reviews on the 4008. Most positive. Its interesting in how some say how quiet it is and the opposite from others. Maybe it depends on the install. If the Shurflo silence kit used or an or an expansion tank. I also saw comments on the pump getting hot if used for long periods like showers as its listed for intermittent duty. There were also some comments about the pump to motor bolts stripping out of the aluminum base.

I read pros and cons on the Aquajet as well. Some say good but noisy. Some say quiet.

I might return the 4008 for the 4048 or price the 4048 to the Aquajet ES or RV.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Replacing the Shurflo 5.7 extreme water pump in my 2004 Adventurer. Not working very well and noisy.
Did a lot of reading and still up in the air on a replacement.
Some others I'm considering are the 4048 Shurflo or the Aquajet RV or ES models.
Wondering if I should step up to the 4048 or consider the Aquajet?
cef2lion
Newer... bigger... and/or more power full RV water pumps are not necessarily better RV water pumps.
I've been using the original Shurflo 2088-422-144 water pump in my now 19 year old coach for the last 14 years, (117k miles).
Mel
'96 Safari, 144k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
From what I read on the Shurflo Revolution 4008. The internal bypass is to prevent pump cycling on low demand in place of the variable speed.
Thought so too, however reviewing the docs again looks like it has an adjustment for the bypass, perhaps mine was not adjusted right from the factory, that may have helped, I didn't know it was there.

However a bypass just let the pump freewheel some wasting energy and running more than it needs to. An expansion tank lets it run full blast charging the tank not wasting any work and should run cooler as well. Many times when using the sink real quick the pump doesn't even come on and is simply served from the expansion tank. Seems like a better setup with the only downside being the $30 cost of the tank.

I might go with a bigger pump later and look into the Aquajet variable speeds. Want to add an outside fresh rinse would be nice to have as much flow as possible for a sprayer.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I returned the Shurflo 4008. I decided to ordered an Aquajet ARV. Should receive in a few days but will not install till Spring since I winterized and put the coach away.

I looked at the Winnebago parts site from mid 2000 to present. If correct. After the Shurflo Extreme 5.7 the Shurflo 4008 comes up as the pump used on most all models even the high end coaches.