Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Water Fill

The fresh water fill on our 2014 Aspect doesn't have a cap. Because of this, when we fill the fresh water tank and drive, water sloshes out, particularly when going around a corner.

The door to the fresh water fill has a small protrusion which I suppose is meant to plug the fill opening when it's closed, but it certainly doesn't work for that purpose.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm thinking something along the line of a large tapered cork (or other material) that can plug the opening...but then the door may not close, although I suppose we could replace the door with one that doesn't have a protrusion.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
The fresh water fill on our 2014 Aspect doesn't have a cap. Because of this, when we fill the fresh water tank and drive, water sloshes out, particularly when going around a corner.

The door to the fresh water fill has a small protrusion which I suppose is meant to plug the fill opening when it's closed, but it certainly doesn't work for that purpose.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm thinking something along the line of a large tapered cork (or other material) that can plug the opening...but then the door may not close, although I suppose we could replace the door with one that doesn't have a protrusion.
Picture please ...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You need to consider a vent for the tank as well, if you simply use a cork. Have you called Winnebago? They may have an answer for you.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

No, we haven't called Winnebago...might do that once we land someplace for awhile if no one has a fix.

Is the Aspect the only Winnebago product that doesn't have a threaded fresh water fill tube? Seems strange that Winnebago would make the fill tube like that...guess they think that people are going to fill the fresh water tank and then not move.

Venting shouldn't be a problem since, when the water tank is full, water comes out beneath the rig as well as out the filler tube, so there's a vent someplace underneath, too.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

First off I don't know of any Winnebago products that have a hose connection for the gravity fill. There's generally a connection in the water compartment that has a hose connection. The valve can be switched to use the incoming water or to fill the tank.

How much water are you trying to put in the tank? We generally watch the fresh water monitor and shut the water off when the full light comes on. That leaves about an inch or so of air space above the water level. The fill tube inlet is usually several feet above the top of the tank. If you fill the tank until it backs out the inlet you will almost certainly have water coming out when you turn a corner.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
First off I don't know of any Winnebago products that have a hose connection for the gravity fill. There's generally a connection in the water compartment that has a hose connection. The valve can be switched to use the incoming water or to fill the tank.
Our rig has both a gravity fill and a pressure fill. We use the gravity fill a lot since we do mostly boondocking and a lot of the dump stations we use don't have a threaded hose for filling up the fresh water tank, making a pressure fill useless.

Quote:
How much water are you trying to put in the tank? We generally watch the fresh water monitor and shut the water off when the full light comes on. That leaves about an inch or so of air space above the water level. The fill tube inlet is usually several feet above the top of the tank. If you fill the tank until it backs out the inlet you will almost certainly have water coming out when you turn a corner.
We fill it up until water starts coming out of the fill tube (which it does no matter the method of filling the tank).

Our monitor doesn't have fill lights...it's a digital monitor that shows "F," "2/3," "1/3," and "E." If I stand inside and wait until the "F" shows, I have no idea how much water we really have in the tank. Since we have only about a 34-gallon fresh water tank and we boondock 99% of the time, we want to carry as much water as possible. If the fill tube was threaded with a cap, water wouldn't slosh out when we go around a corner...it certainly never did on any of the other RVs we've owned.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yours is the first rv I have heard of that did not have a cap for the potable water supply...strange...
Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our Vectra is the same. It has both a gravity fill and a pressure fill. To stop the sloshing- out while driving, we cut a circular rubber "seal" (about 1 1/8 inches in diameter) and super-glued it inside the circular recess on the inside of the little door that covers the water fill. Works like a lens cap on a camera lens. Problem solved! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here is a picture. Material is actually leftover vinyl from the nose protector. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_190645_resized.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	59328  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Here is the whole hole. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140326_190632.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	59329  
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Ken! That's exactly what our water fill looks like!

What is a "nose protector?"

We'll have to go to the local hardware store and see if we can find something suitable that will do the same thing.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Linda - my water fill looks just like Ken's also. I think Winnie has used that fitting forever. Only difference is mine came from the factory with a white pad made of rubber or vinyl or ? already glued to the door just as Ken's black disk is. It's about 1/8" thick and you can tell it seals well because there is a slight indentation in the pad made by the fill tube. It's never leaked and the pad is still there. Perhaps they just didn't do a good job of gluing it on some...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Tom, our fresh water fill door does have a round protrusion on it that is rubber...not real soft, but it's definitely some type of rubber. Looks a lot like Ken's picture, except ours is white. It does not, however, provide a good seal, so I'm thinking that we need something else glued at that spot that will provide a good seal.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Linda, sounds like you have all the right pieces... Maybe the filler neck is somehow recessed too much. Probably no way to adjust the neck so I think you've got the right idea of just building up the thickness of the pad.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Linda - my water fill looks just like Ken's also. I think Winnie has used that fitting forever. Only difference is mine came from the factory with a white pad made of rubber or vinyl or ? already glued to the door just as Ken's black disk is. It's about 1/8" thick and you can tell it seals well because there is a slight indentation in the pad made by the fill tube. It's never leaked and the pad is still there. Perhaps they just didn't do a good job of gluing it on some...
Ours too. We have never had water slosh out even when completely full. There is some kind of rubber or vinyl on the door.

That fill is handy for us because when parked at the sticks and bricks house that side is easier to get a hose to.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Linda, sounds like you have all the right pieces... Maybe the filler neck is somehow recessed too much. Probably no way to adjust the neck so I think you've got the right idea of just building up the thickness of the pad.
That's what I was thinking, too...that the filler tube was recessed too much so that the "rubber" seal doesn't touch it. There is absolutely no type of indentation on the rubber that would indicate that it's touching the filler tube at all.

We'll probably wait until we get home in a couple of weeks to go shopping for something that might work. Since we traded in our truck and fifth wheel for the Aspect while we were in Arizona this winter, and we'd left our car at home, we don't have a toad with us making packing up to go someplace not only inconvenient but a big pain in the rear.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
That's what I was thinking, too...that the filler tube was recessed too much so that the "rubber" seal doesn't touch it. There is absolutely no type of indentation on the rubber that would indicate that it's touching the filler tube at all.

We'll probably wait until we get home in a couple of weeks to go shopping for something that might work. Since we traded in our truck and fifth wheel for the Aspect while we were in Arizona this winter, and we'd left our car at home, we don't have a toad with us making packing up to go someplace not only inconvenient but a big pain in the rear.
You could probably stop at a local bike shop and get an old inner tube from the trash. Cut a rubber disk ....
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I think I would just go to LOWES and get a large cork to use while driving, I would take it out when you get where you are going so it will vent.
GW1115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water