Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone tried to repair the fresh water tank dump valve? Mine started leaking. The guys at the dealer didn't how to get at it, but the factory said pull the plate on the bottom of the tank and tighten the set screw on the cable.

I looked at the plate but since we were planning on leaving the next day, I did a temporary fix. The outlet is a 1 1/2 inch PCV pipe, so I glued on an adapter and covered it with a cap.

This fix stopped the leak, but the design of the dump valve operation by pushing on a cable three times as long as it needs to be is not one of Winnebago's best.

However, apparently design this works OK since I haven't see this problem discussed on the forum before. If you want to see what the dump valve cable looks like on a '05 36 foot Vectra, check the picture at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...;topicseen#new
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anyone tried to repair the fresh water tank dump valve? Mine started leaking. The guys at the dealer didn't how to get at it, but the factory said pull the plate on the bottom of the tank and tighten the set screw on the cable.

I looked at the plate but since we were planning on leaving the next day, I did a temporary fix. The outlet is a 1 1/2 inch PCV pipe, so I glued on an adapter and covered it with a cap.

This fix stopped the leak, but the design of the dump valve operation by pushing on a cable three times as long as it needs to be is not one of Winnebago's best.

However, apparently design this works OK since I haven't see this problem discussed on the forum before. If you want to see what the dump valve cable looks like on a '05 36 foot Vectra, check the picture at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...;topicseen#new
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

CalTex - My cable pulled out of the valve mechanism. I removed the plate and it's very obvious how it all goes together once you see it. Apparently, mine wasn't tightened enough on initial assembly because I've had no further problem since I tightened it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just reread your post and one thing bothers me. I know we have different rigs, but from what I've read on the forum before, I think the tank setups are all about the same. The thing that bothers me is that the plate that needs to be removed is on the front (vertical surface) of the tank not on the bottom. Removing the bottom plate would be a huge job...and unnecessary. Slide up to the front of the tank and you should find a smaller plate secured by a dozen or so screws. I can't remember exactly, but it's about a square foot in size. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tom, what you described was what I expected when I got under there, but my front plate had no sctews and appeared to be welded on to the frame rails. Since I was in a hurry, I took the easy way out. When I get home I will take another look at it.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On my UA I have a plate just above the rear differential that has one bolt in the center, turn the bolt, and it releases the locking 'Arms' and the plate drops out. At first glance it looks like a PITA, but it isn't that bad. You can access the valve and the conenctions to the tank there, I am not sure how the vectra's are setup, but that is how mine is....

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
gMw
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2002 Journey, sorry to see they were still using a cable three times longer than one would think it needs to be in newer motorhomes.

We too have what appeared to be a leaky fresh water dump valve. In our case, the problem turned out to be the cable itself. There's a very tight bend in the cable near the tank that I appears to be a problem either with the design and/or cable installation. I can get at the valve through a plate that's secures with several screws, and manually operate it. But it's a bit of a pain.

In the spring, I plan to either install a shorter cable or glued on an adapter and covered it with a cap.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I found mine leaking today also. It looks like it is behind a panel but I haven't tried to fix it yet. I only noticed it because my fresh water tank was filling by itself (fill valve set on City Water) and I had to keep the dump valve open slightly to let the extra water drip on the ground. Otherwise, the tank fills and overflows. WHAT FUN !!! I think I was exposed to some high water pressure which caused the leaks at both sites. Tomorrow I investigate closely.

Don Thimas
2004 Vectra 40AD

2004 Vectra 40AD
VectraDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We also have a 02 Journey. The freshwater tank drain valve is a cable operated valterra 1-1/2 inch valve similiar to the valve used on a grey water tank shown below.

When our valve began leaking, it was because it wasn't fully closing. As the others mentioned, by removing the small steel access plate on the front of the tank by the drain, you can readjust the cable to make sure the valve closes completely. In my case, I only had to loosed the setscrew and adust the cable about 1/8 of an inch.
The set screw is in the large portion of the valve shaft near the top of the valve in the picture.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The leak was caused by loose screws which hold the dump valve onto the wall of the compartment. When the dump vavle was opened, the water was leaking onto the inside of the wall as well as out the outer side and onto the ground. One down one to go!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VectraDon:
I found mine leaking today also. It looks like it is behind a panel but I haven't tried to fix it yet. I only noticed it because my fresh water tank was filling by itself (fill valve set on City Water) and I had to keep the dump valve open slightly to let the extra water drip on the ground. Otherwise, the tank fills and overflows. WHAT FUN !!! I think I was exposed to some high water pressure which caused the leaks at both sites. Tomorrow I investigate closely.

Don Thimas
2004 Vectra 40AD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Vectra 40AD
VectraDon is offline   Reply With Quote