Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

As a new owner of a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain, I have a few questions. One is... where is the fresh water tank located? The reason I ask is ... we are about to embark on a trip and the RV was winterized with RV antifreeze when we picked it up from the dealer. Here in the North East it is still freezing temperatures at night. If I were to fill the fresh water tank and get the plumbing de-winterized, and leave the heat on at 55 degrees F, will the tank and pipes be spared from freezing? The person that did the orientation was not correct in some aspects of his presentation, so I would like to get the proverbial information from the "horses mouth". Anticipating your responses .. thanks.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As a new owner of a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain, I have a few questions. One is... where is the fresh water tank located? The reason I ask is ... we are about to embark on a trip and the RV was winterized with RV antifreeze when we picked it up from the dealer. Here in the North East it is still freezing temperatures at night. If I were to fill the fresh water tank and get the plumbing de-winterized, and leave the heat on at 55 degrees F, will the tank and pipes be spared from freezing? The person that did the orientation was not correct in some aspects of his presentation, so I would like to get the proverbial information from the "horses mouth". Anticipating your responses .. thanks.

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Can't speak from experience for the 1999 model year but my 2003 Suncruiser had the water tank mid-ship and was in a heated compartment. It was mounted right above the chassis frame rails and was accessed by opening the basement storage hatch cover just aft of the main entry door. I would assume that your '99 also has heated compartments where the water tank is located. If you have a gravity feed water inlet just follow it down and you'll see the fresh water tank. Next, turn on the propane furnace and let it run for a while. Then, go outside to the compartment door that accesses the fresh water tank and open it. Stick your head in there and you should get a blast of warm air.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mark, thanks .. I'll check it out.

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mark, I looked on the coach side wall where the owner's manual indicated there was a gravity feed. It should be where the bedroom slide is ... I do not see any gravity feed. I'll have to look in the compartment beneath the slide tomorrow.

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would also take a look at where all the plumbing lines are run in your RV. Especially if you have a ice maker in your fridge. The fresh water tank may not freeze but the water lines could and the line to your ice maker is only protected by the access door to the back of the fridge.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Steve,
Good point about the ice maker ... which we do have. I may end up not hooking it up and just capping it off for now.
Frank

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 1999 Chieftain 35U and our fresh water tank is in the rear under the bedroom.

There should be a small shutoff valve under the sink that will turn off the water to the icemaker.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ron,
Apparently the 1999 34Y is different than other models. The tank is located at the passenger side rear corner. Because of the bedroom slide, there is no gravity feed. The filling is from the command panel via hook up hose .. there is a valve to divert incoming hose water to the fresh water holding tank.

The operator's manual is not clear about proceedure set up for the 34Y.

Our Refrigerator is on the passenger side and the gally is opposite on the couch slide.

I have the interior temp of the coach set for 55 degrees. I'll be placing a remote sending temperature indicator in the compartment tonight to see if fresh water tank area stays above freezing. Wonderful item .. got it at Radio shack ... not my most favorite place to buy things .. but sometimes they have an item that is reasonable and quite functional. I'll post the results. Ciao.

2001 Adventurer 32V