Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Filling the tank?

New DP owner her so...I know this has been discussed before... but I don't seem to be able to fill up using the trucker pumps. 100 gal tank can only seem to get 3/4 to 9/8 full?

Foaming?

Any easy soulutions?

2007 Winne Tour 36 ft 400 HP ISL?
Wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you stick the nozzle all the way in and let it rip it will do the automatic shut off thing early, you have to hold the nozzle opening near the bottom of the filler neck to fill higher. You will also find a data plate on all diesel fuel tanks that are stamped "do not fill over 90%" or some words extremely close to that.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman1 View Post
..100 gal tank can only seem to get 3/4 to 9/8 full?
I'd say 9/8 is very full.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'd say 9/8 is very full.

Lori-
DOOH 7/8th's
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you stick the nozzle all the way in and let it rip it will do the automatic shut off thing early, you have to hold the nozzle opening near the bottom of the filler neck to fill higher. You will also find a data plate on all diesel fuel tanks that are stamped "do not fill over 90%" or some words extremely close to that.
I will try that, and will also try it at a "regular" smaller, gas station, pump and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

I level my coach, open the second fill cap to cut down on the foaming, and slow down the fill rate as it approaches full. Works for me.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Huh? Never heard of such a thing. I think the OP's problem is one common to Freightliners of that year group (like mine). The tank isn't vented well enough, and the only way to fill it completely is to do it slowly, or hold the nozzle a bit away from the filler tube. I always fill my tank completely. BTW, I try to find the standard diesel pump instead of the high-pressure pump, it works much better and actually fills the tank faster because it doesn't continually click the pump off. This problem is discussed in other forums, you can try a search.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
Huh? Never heard of such a thing. I think the OP's problem is one common to Freightliners of that year group (like mine). The tank isn't vented well enough, and the only way to fill it completely is to do it slowly, or hold the nozzle a bit away from the filler tube. I always fill my tank completely. BTW, I try to find the standard diesel pump instead of the high-pressure pump, it works much better and actually fills the tank faster because it doesn't continually click the pump off. This problem is discussed in other forums, you can try a search.
You and I are saying the same thing fill it slower if you let it rip and fill fast it shuts down automatically before it has a chance to fill.

I used the bottom of the neck as a reference point rather than having the nozzle down farther into the tank which would also shut it off at a lower level. Truck renters do this all the time fill it to the shut off point and stop there which is usually several gallons below full.

The fast pumps will certainly shut it off sooner also.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure you dont mean the propane tank? I know propane is rarely filled more than 80%
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Sure you dont mean the propane tank? I know propane is rarely filled more than 80%
I'm referring to diesel fuel tanks on MH or saddle tanks on a truck tractor as well as saddle or step type gas tanks on trucks, not gas or diesel on pick up trucks. It's a federal requirement on all side mounted new fuel tanks even mounted between the frame rails of a DP.

This is the quickest picture I could find.

See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have ITASCA Meridian 2004 which should be the same as yours. Make sure the fuel vent hose on top of the tank is not pinched or plugged. You can also straighten out some of the bends going from the filler cap to the tank. Also check to make sure the filler pipe has not sagged below the tank entrance. make sure the filler vent hose has not sagged below the level of the filler hose. I also aim the nozzel toward the rear of the coach and do not insert it all the way into the filler opening.
I have done all the things I have suggested and it now takes the the fuel with no problem.
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm referring to diesel fuel tanks on MH or saddle tanks on a truck tractor as well as saddle or step type gas tanks on trucks, not gas or diesel on pick up trucks. It's a federal requirement on all side mounted new fuel tanks even mounted between the frame rails of a DP.

This is the quickest picture I could find.

(removed)
Thanks john... never noticed that before....?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

For those of us with the Freightliner computers, it will tell me how much diesel fuel I consumed since last fillup. I check this before fueling, so I know (approximately) how much fuel the tank will take.

The last 10 gallons or so I slow it down to the slow notch on the nozzle. I generally get it to fill to 100% + of what the computer tells me, as this minimizes the foaming when the tank reaches full.

I also prefer the smaller nozzle over the larger fuel pump nozzles. So it takes a few extra minutes. I generally avoid fuel spitting back out at me this way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

One of the problems with motor homes is this

Car fuel tank design

\____
Where the \ is the filler pipe and ____ is the tank

Motor home
-----_________{ }

Where --__ is the filler and { } is the tank

You might notice that's a long, nearly flat, run

If you do not have two filler caps.. Try dropping the jack nearest the filler cap.. Tilting the coach away from the pump.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the slow fill problem mentioned above:
For 2 years I have struggled with a slow fill problem with the fuel tank. With any reasonable flow at all, fuel spray would come out of the filler neck and turn off the fuel nozzle. The problem was so bad that I could not set the small diesel fuel nozzle or the large diesel fuel nozzle to the first click. In fact I had to hold the pump on at a very slow fill rate. I read others on this forum but could not find a specific fix that would work for me. Both Winnebago and Freightliner were cordial but after informing me that my tank was not one that was recalled they both declined any specific help. I finally decided on a custom fix following some earlier suggestions on this forum.

On my coach model there are several problems that had to be overcome:
  • the vertical drop from filler neck to fuel tank opening was only about 9 inches
  • the first 18 in of the filler tube was horizontal without any slope at all
  • the rest of the filler tube consisted of two 90 degree turns
  • the 5/8 inch air tube between the fuel tank and the filler neck appeared to be pinched because it had to pass through the same 3.5 inch hole in the frame as the fuel filler tube
The solution involved a new 2 inch inner diameter flexible fuel hose that eliminated the 90 degree turns and provided a gradual downhill slope of the fuel tube. The air tube was replaced with new tube and routed slightly higher through the 3.5 inch hole so that liquid could not be trapped in the tube. Finally a ½ inch inner diameter copper tube was inserted into the air tube as it passed through the 3.5 inch hole allowing no possibility that the air tube could be pinched off.

At my first visit to the diesel fuel pump (larger nozzle) I was able to latch the fuel flow switch to the highest flow position. The pump did turn off automatically when the tank was full but I cannot say that it was completely full as desired by Wxman1. A custom flap (not shown in the photo) was reinstalled to protect the fuel filler tube and air vent.

After 2 years of frustration I am no longer holding up others at the fuel pump.
Hope this helps someone else.

Jim & Debbie, 04 Journey 34H Attached Thumbnails
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
After 2 years of frustration I am no longer holding up others at the fuel pump.
From first hand experience I know your happy to be rid of that hassle
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

When I am refueling, as was suggested above, I open the filler on the opposite of the coach -- this allows better venting of the air out of the tank.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Andy,
Just call Freightliner Service at Gaffney. They will tell you if you need to replace your fuel tank. It may still be covered under warranty.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote