Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Engine Air Water Separator Recall

Anyone else receive a recall on this from Winnebago? Did you get it addressed yet? How long did it take?
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Anyone else receive a recall on this from Winnebago? Did you get it addressed yet? How long did it take?
I got one, called my dealer and he had no knowledge of the recall. Winnebago told me that I couldn't do the repair myself and if I didn't get it done I might experience engine damage.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The dealer I bought mine from sold out to Camping World, I won't let Camping World touch my motorhome!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The dealer I bought mine from sold out to Camping World, I won't let Camping World touch my motorhome!
Don't blame you for staying away from Camping World. I actually bought my rig from them at a show, not knowing what kind of dealer they were, and have come to the same conclusion, but, that's another story. On this water separator "Campaign" of recall, I believe it is something simple than can be taken care of by us owners, rather than taking the rig, in some cases, hundreds of miles to a shop. If anyone stumbles across an answer I would be interested in doing it myself.....
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Please enlighten us! What models and years?
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have attached the campaign, and i don't like taking motor home in for service.
Winnebago wont sell you campaign kit, but the Rubber Vacuator, i found on 2017 Journey parts list, and found the part number, 191468-01-000 or Donaldson part # P522958, cost about 20 with shipping from Litchinn. You will also need a hose clamp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water Seperator Service Campaign.pdf (594.2 KB, 355 views)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Is this a chassis issue?

Our mail service has our notice but I haven't had them send me a scan yet.
Thank you for the PDF but it doesn't clear much up for me.
Is this for Freightliner chassis?
I'm going to FCCC (Gafeney) Tuesday for annual service might add this if it is.
Is this part of the fuel tank or tank fill, it sure doesn't look like part of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
I have attached the campaign, and i don't like taking motor home in for service.
Winnebago wont sell you campaign kit, but the Rubber Vacuator, i found on 2017 Journey parts list, and found the part number, 191468-01-000 or Donaldson part # P522958, cost about 20 with shipping from Litchinn. You will also need a hose clamp.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if freight-liner part, but it on the bottom of the air intake hose. On ours, if you follow the large hose that comes down from driver side air intake, and look under the coach at that point, and you will see a plastic box that it goes into, and on the bottom of that box there is a about 3 inch round piece of round plastic that drops down from the center of the box, if the bottom of that round part is solid, that is where you would cut off the plastic and add the rubber vacuator.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I was able to order the part from my local Freightliner dealer, less than $5. I'll install it myself once I get it.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

DIY

Quote:
I was able to order the part from my local Freightliner dealer, less than $5. I'll install it myself once I get it.
Take an 1 and 1/4 inch drill bit center it in the 6mm hole and drill out the opening. Buy a bypass vent and attach it to the drain line you just drilled. All you want to do is enlarge the opening so debris can easily drain out. The bypass vent is closed like holding your index finger and thumb closed. When water and debris goes down the drain tube the end of the bypass opens (yes gravity works) drains and then closes-it is just a rubber hose with a closed end that is opened when draining and closes when empty. I am sure if you look around the underside of your MH you will see bypasses that I have tried to explain. Beats the heck out of warranty scheduling and work.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I got the notice (2016 Journey) and crawled under to see what I had. I have the correct part and I indicated so on the return request. If you can remove / install a SS clamp you can change this simple but important part in less than a minute.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I was at Freightliner for my annual service. They would not do it.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
I was at Freightliner for my annual service. They would not do it.
Did they say why they wouldn't do it?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It's nothing more than a common duckbill valve, and could be purchased at any boat parts supply.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Take an 1 and 1/4 inch drill bit center it in the 6mm hole and drill out the opening. Buy a bypass vent and attach it to the drain line you just drilled. All you want to do is enlarge the opening so debris can easily drain out. The bypass vent is closed like holding your index finger and thumb closed. When water and debris goes down the drain tube the end of the bypass opens (yes gravity works) drains and then closes-it is just a rubber hose with a closed end that is opened when draining and closes when empty. I am sure if you look around the underside of your MH you will see bypasses that I have tried to explain. Beats the heck out of warranty scheduling and work.
I've always heard that "drain valve" referred to as a duck bill drain. Mine was sealed closed with debris, a simple pinch on the end-squeezing the ends together cleared it.
The engine damage mentioned in the recall is because a closed drain can allow water into the filter, and on into the engine.
My MH basement air conditioner has the same duck-bill drain for condensate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I am a bit confused with this thread. What are y'all talking about? The pictures were too poor for me to see the problem or the fix. Air filter?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On our 2014, 36m only took my dealer (Ben Davis in Auburn In) about 20min. to cut off old one and install new one. Very simple fix.
Gene Holcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am a bit confused with this thread. What are y'all talking about? The pictures were too poor for me to see the problem or the fix. Air filter?
Rick,
Agree, the pictures were terrible. Let me try to explain. The air intake on our 2016 Journey is located at the top of the rear cap on the drivers side. The combustion air travels straight down through a duct into a large cylindrical plenum unit that can easily be seen from under the rear of the coach. The part in question is on the bottom of this cylindrical unit. Any water that may enter via the air intake at the top of the rear cap should be "trapped" at the bottom of the cylindrical plenum and simply drain out rather then travel horizontally to the air filter.
From what I can tell from the poor quality pictures, it appears that some coaches did NOT have the duckbill-type drain part but instead had a device similar to a pipe cap with a small hole (say around 1/4") in the bottom.

The cylindrical plenum unit in question is not part of the filter housing. It's upstream of the filter housing.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 09-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Rick,
Agree, the pictures were terrible. Let me try to explain. The air intake on our 2016 Journey is located at the top of the rear cap on the drivers side. The combustion air travels straight down through a duct into a large cylindrical plenum unit that can easily be seen from under the rear of the coach. The part in question is on the bottom of this cylindrical unit. Any water that may enter via the air intake at the top of the rear cap should be "trapped" at the bottom of the cylindrical plenum and simply drain out rather then travel horizontally to the air filter.
From what I can tell from the poor quality pictures, it appears that some coaches did NOT have the duckbill-type drain part but instead had a device similar to a pipe cap with a small hole (say around 1/4") in the bottom.

The cylindrical plenum unit in question is not part of the filter housing. It's upstream of the filter housing.

cheers,
Joopy
Thanks Joopy. Great explanation. My air filter is low as is the intake. The duckbill is at the bottom of the filter. It seems my rig is clear of this recall.

Speaking of recalls... Are you involved in the propane hose recall? I have not seen anything official from Winnebago yet. A notice could be in my mail forwarding box.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner said it was a Winnebago warranty issue.

They wouldn't do it because they are not setup for Winnebago warranty reimbursement. But basically I think it is not a chassis issue but a coach issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Did they say why they wouldn't do it?

Tags
engine, recall, water