Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me were I can locate the power source in my 2001 journey for my hot water heater.The electic side of the heater is not working the propane side works fine. I turned on the switch for the electric and the water will not even stay luke warm. So I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and were I can locate the power source to see if there is power getting to the heater or if I blew an electric fuse or a inline fuse. I am having a hard time trying to figure out were I should start looking to pin point the problem. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me were I can locate the power source in my 2001 journey for my hot water heater.The electic side of the heater is not working the propane side works fine. I turned on the switch for the electric and the water will not even stay luke warm. So I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and were I can locate the power source to see if there is power getting to the heater or if I blew an electric fuse or a inline fuse. I am having a hard time trying to figure out were I should start looking to pin point the problem. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ron:

I had the same problem. I believe my setup is same or similar to your's. The switch in your coach is fed by a breaker in the panel at the foot of the bed. There is a second re-settable switch on the back of the water heater. You have to crawl under the rig and remove an access panel to get to this switch. The switch on the water heater fails over time and interrups power to the heating element. Since there is a switch in the coach and a circuit breaker, I had the switch on the water heater bypassed and have had no additional problems. My RV mechanic recommended this action and said he has seen this issue many times.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem and in trouble shooting we found the 'hidden' switch on the back of the heater which is almost inaccessable was burned out. We replaced the switch but as I was rethinking the situation I decided should the switch ever fail or I had cause to be in under the Coach at that location I will pull the switch and solder the wires together.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

smlranger I am on may way out to look under the rig for the access panel to get to the switch thank you I would have never thought there would be a switch there.I will let you know how I make out again thank you Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I found the access panel but no switch only 2 water lines. The upper and lower water lines. Reached in to see if I could feel a switch no switch or even a wiring harness. The access panel that I found was located in the rear of the hot water heater under the rig as you said, it is about a 4 to 6 inches round hole with a threaded pvc cap. Is this the access panel that I am looking for because there is no switch. Is it possible that the previous owner by passed it already, or is this the access panel that I am looking for. This is the only panel that I can see under the rig. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ron,

Perhaps you may get an answer from someone more quickly but when I get home tonite, I will look under mine and get back to you. I seem to remember the access panel was on the bottom. I do remember seeing a rocker type switch inside the opening.

You might want to email [email protected] and ask. That is Bryan Funke a lead in the service admin area....Bryan has been very helpful with similar questions.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for getting back to me and giving me the web site.I have a panel on the bottom of the heater it has 6 rivets on each side that I would have to drill out if that is were the switch is.there is a 6 inch hole in the rear of the heater with a spin off cap. inside the hole is 2 water lines one is at the top of the heater and the other one is at the bottom of the water heater I fished around with my hand to see if I could find a switch or even a electric lines or some kind of wires I couldn't feel anything but the water lines going into the heater.I will e-mail Bryan and see what he has to say again thank you you have been very helpful Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Must be the alignment of the planets, but mine crapped out on the electric heat function on Saturday; worked fine on propane. We got home this afternoon, and I got the creeper and started checking it out.

Couldn't really see anything with the threaded cap removed. Now that I know where that little rocker switch is, I actually could have got my fingers on it, but that wouldn't have helped.

I removed about 8 or 10 screws which hold the bottom access plate in place, and pried it down. That gave a much better view of what is up in there, but you still need a 7/16" deep well socket to remove the nuts that hold a sheet metal cover plate over the back of the water hearer.

With cover removed, I found that both the rocker switch was corroded (open circuit), AND one of the 2 bi-metal thermal switches.

I believe that both thermal switches are the same model #, but I cannot read the numbers on the one that is corroded. If anyone has the correct part #'s or a source, please post it up for us.

If I did up something, I'll do the same.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

OK, in case this helps others with the same problem: I did some more digging and came up with the replacement parts kit #91873, which is spec'd for the Atwood GCH10a-3E that is in my MH. Called around, and found an RV dealer here in Delaware that has them in stock for $22.57.

The rocker switch located at the back of the heater should also be replaced, as it is probably there as a safety device for anyone working on the heater. That way they could be sure that the circuit is off and not be turned on inadvertently by someone flipping a switch up in the motorhome.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger:
I emailed Bryan at Winnebago and this is the reply that he sent back. Thank you for giving me his e-mail address, he is very helpful. Now I am going out to see if I can find the reset button.

Bryan my name Ron I am a member of (IRV2) I got your e-mail address from a member he said you may be able to help me with my problem. (I HAVE A 2001 JOURNEY) my electric hot water heat stopped working the propane side of the heater works fine.I checked the breaker panel at the foot of the bed it is on and looks to be ok.I was told by a few members that there is a switch or breaker in the rear of the hot water heater I went under my Rig and found a inspection plate on the rear of the hot water heater it is about 4 to 6 inches round it is a threaded PVC cap I took it off to get access inside. I found 2 water lines going to the heater a upper and a lower hose no switch or wires.I returned back to the (IRV2) web site to see if there may be a other location for this switch one person told me that his is located under the hot water heater that you need to remove 8 to 10 screw which holds the bottom access panel in place.I check under my hot water heater and found 8 to 10 rivets that I would have to drill out to get access I don't want to drill all the rivets out if this is not the location of the switch can you tell me were the switch or breaker may be located and when I do find it how to test it to see if that is the problem my Rig is a 2001 36 foot journey DL thank you for your time Ron

Ron,

It sounds as if the ECO - Energy Cut Off - has tripped. Unfortunately, we did not provide an easy access plate for the 2001 models. The ECO is located on the back side of the water heater. I have been unable to find a picture providing a good illustration, because you will need to go by feel. There is a cover on the back side of the water heater housing the ECO. There is a small hole in this cover allowing access to the reset button on the ECO. If you take the eraser end of a pencil, you can stick it through the hole and reset the button on the ECO.

Let me know if this works for you. If not, get back to me and I'll try to obtain some pictures to send.

Bryan

Celebration Florida