Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Since I've decided to keep my rig insead of wasting money on a new one, I want to upgrade it a bit. The start point would be the dump valves. I wondered if anyone has switched to the electric valves and are they worth while or not?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since I've decided to keep my rig insead of wasting money on a new one, I want to upgrade it a bit. The start point would be the dump valves. I wondered if anyone has switched to the electric valves and are they worth while or not?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Finhawk:

I've short-cut your question to the Motorhomes - Problems, Solutions and Aftermarket area since your question is not unique to Winnebago products.

Hopefully, you can get some answers/suggestions from folks who frequent that area.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

This particular upgrade is lost on me. You have to get down there anyway to hook up the hose so why not just pull the valve while you are there?

Is there some other problem with your valves other than the fact that they require manual operation?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Finhawk - I'm curious too. With 4 of us taking showers it doesn't take long to fill a tank. When we have hook up's it would be nice to just dump from inside - at least the grey water.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

If you have full hook ups, you just leave the gray water valve open all the time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you are staying on the same lot for a month you would probable dump you black 4 to 6 times. I leave my grey open to the day before I dump my black. So I could see where you would use them. As to weather they are worth the money , I don't know.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The less need for electric I add to the coach, the better. I would think you have more control with the manual valves.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I know there have been several times I wished I had automatic, inside operated dump valves, specially when that galdarned guy in that sport rodster was following so close!!!!

But to be serious, the less electric, automatic stuff to go wrong, the better!

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The previous owner had a problem with the black water valve so he changed it out and left the pull handle off. It's awkward to get to and the gray water pull acts like it going also. So I want to take care of any problems before they happen
Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Manual Valves are easy to change and readily available from CW. Save yourself future problems when you find the electric ones won't close completely and you find your rig leaving a trail of P** and other C*** where you don't want it! JMHO and a real life experience. Luckily not on my rig but fun to watch!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

1st Cav: don't know about electric valves.

On our 01 Sunflyer 35U, both valves were getting tough to pull. I was intimidated at how to get to them to even swap them out. The cover with all the elect and plumbing has to come off so its got to be a multiple 6 pack job! Maybe subliminal that this caused us to trade in on an 08 35J? The valves there are in plain view. Hooah (82nd/101st). Steve
Old 01-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

On our UA, both valves are cable type. Right after we bought it, the gray one went bad, and after seeing the cost of a new gray valve with the cable (If memory serves was around $75.00) I was tempted... mostly because it is a MAJOR pain to get at them.

I came to the same conclusions, Why complicate things, Manual valves most of the time work, electrics, well, now you have more parts, more things to go wrong.

In a past life, I drove motorcoach for a while, and I must say, it was nice just to pull over the grate and hit the dump button from the dash, but even though those were commercial grade air valves, they still failed, and when the failed it was normally 20 below and you had a full tank of not so fresh blue water from a really long drive. So, simplicity in this case is better in my opinion...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

so, John, did you change them out? It looks like a pain but maybe an interesting way to spend a warm Summer day
And Hey Steve, HOOAH right back at 'cha
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

On my 35U the plastic pulls broke so I replaced them with the metal universal pulls from Valtera and just lubricated the stems. No problems so far.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk,

I did change one out. It wasn't as bad as I initially thought, but it isn't a quick 10 min job. I am not familiar with your unit, but mine are mounted crosswise behind the water control board. Basically you need to remove it and the 10 million screws that hold it in, once you get it apart a bit of interesting bending of your arms and torso and you can get them in and out. I thought I posted about it a year or so ago so you might want to do a search.

I wanted to replace them both while I was in there, but the dealer at the time only had one and I didn't want to wait. The design is actually kind of a good idea since the two valves oppose each other it makes it easy to allow the gray water to rush into the black tank to aide in flushing with minimal freshwater waste...

Neil, Yes, Every unit I have owned that is one of the first things I do is swap my metal handles with the cheap plastic... Once on a trade the dealer commented "Oh you just replaced the dump valves" as we were swapping out stuff into the new trailer.... I just let him think what he wanted...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Chet:
I know there have been several times I wished I had automatic, inside operated dump valves, specially when that galdarned guy in that sport rodster was following so close!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT's funny!!!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

We sold our 2000 Adventurer because that year the dump handles were attached to a long cable that would stretch and either not fully open or close. We priced electric valves but decided against it and traded the rig. Good Luck
Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

This is the last place to put automation IMO. Stick with replacement 3" manual valves. No wiring to add either. Little to go wrong. I replaced them once on my previous RV and the best thing from that is the new ones slide easier. It is important to get just the right angle of the valve handle to make it easy to pull out and push close. I would hate to have an electronic valve get stuck open or closed and then have to fight with it.
Jeff.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
We sold our 2000 Adventurer because that year the dump handles were attached to a long cable that would stretch and either not fully open or close. We priced electric valves but decided against it and traded the rig. Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If a valve handle breaks leave the valve open and a $20 fix is to use one of the twist on valve assemblies between the outlet and hose.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote