Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The thread on holding tank sensors reminds me of a concern I have. How do you get to the dump valves on a 2001 Itasca 35U? My handles don't function real smooth and I just know they are going to give away when I'm in the boondocks. I would like to put in new valves.

I suspect that the big panel that has all the hose connections and switches has to be removed? Are there tricks to doing that? Thnaks!!! Steve
Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The thread on holding tank sensors reminds me of a concern I have. How do you get to the dump valves on a 2001 Itasca 35U? My handles don't function real smooth and I just know they are going to give away when I'm in the boondocks. I would like to put in new valves.

I suspect that the big panel that has all the hose connections and switches has to be removed? Are there tricks to doing that? Thnaks!!! Steve
Old 04-19-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

On the '03's, the valves and valve handles are below the panel and can be seen easily. I presume your handles come out thru the panel? If so, then yes, you probably need to drop the panel unless you are able to reach up underneath it and gain access.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 2001 Adventurer 35U. Valves are right out in the open. I replaced the black water dump valve with no problem. Try spraying some silicone on the dump valve rods. This has also happened.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem of hard operation and thought it was the valve seat. Then one day I saw some black material come out on the stem. Bingo!!!! I now keep a can of silicon spray handy and spray the stems each time I dump. Eliminated that problem.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:

I suspect that the big panel that has all the hose connections and switches has to be removed? Are there tricks to doing that? Thnaks!!! Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the parts breakdown on the Winnebago web site the valves are behind the panel and look to be similar to the ones on the Adventurer. Mine got stiff and the t-handles broke off. They screw on and I replaced them with universal metal replacements I found while visiting in Canada.

Next time you dump the tanks coat the stems with dry silicone or plumbers grease and see if that takes care of things. If it does then make lubricating the stems part of you regular maintenance schdule.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I just replaced both the gray and the black valves on mine yesturday. The Gray was hard moving and the black valve was too easy.. Even when I used silicon on the shafts it would only last for a short time.... After removing I looked at the knife edge on both... The gray water valve had some build up on the edge where the valve door/slides. The black water was pretty clean maybe due to using Oderless treatment... ?? The whole replacement cost 20.00 for both valves CWorld and took 1 hour... Good insurance for the next year or more.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all! I've studied the drawings and crawled under the coach and danged if I see how you get to the valves. I can't even see them. Since they are a serviceable item, there must be a secret hatch somewhere? Thanks, Steve

On edit: Ok, now I see them. Man those cables are curved! I don't see how you get to the valves without pulling that panel (with a zillion hose and wire connections). Steve
Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It's not really that hard to remove that panel. The hose connections are easy to remove & only a fesw srews to hold it on. The trick as I rmemeber was in getting the panel out as its close quarters. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Before going to the trouble of removing the panel try cleaning the tanks real good and then use the valve lubricant you dump in the tank and or the silicone on the stems and as far as you can reach...WD and Silicone are the RV owners best friend. Don't forget the steps.
Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote