Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

When I tried to close my black tank after dumping this afternoon, as I pushed the handle in to move the long cable that closes the valve, it popped loose. I took the lower panel off the water service bay and was able to reach in and close the valve easily by hand. I found the cable had popped out of the metal on the handle end -- it appears the cable is originally crimped into place there so the housing is held secure while the cable moves. Any suggestions on how to re-secure the cable housing to the metal?? I don't know that I could crimp it hard enough to do the job.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When I tried to close my black tank after dumping this afternoon, as I pushed the handle in to move the long cable that closes the valve, it popped loose. I took the lower panel off the water service bay and was able to reach in and close the valve easily by hand. I found the cable had popped out of the metal on the handle end -- it appears the cable is originally crimped into place there so the housing is held secure while the cable moves. Any suggestions on how to re-secure the cable housing to the metal?? I don't know that I could crimp it hard enough to do the job.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

AF CHAP: Been there done that a couple of times. I found a small screw that holds the clamp together on mine. I put the cable casing back in the clamp and tightened the screw. One has to be really care full with these cable pulls as they will pull out of their camps easily. Lousy idea in the first place.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There is no clamp on the handle end of mine where the problem is ...only on the valve end It appears the cable housing was merely crimped into the round metal housing when assembled.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

Paul, Perhaps you can buy just the cable to replace. The pass-thru compartment just forward of the wet bay has a removable rear wall that will allow y9ou better access tothe valve end of the cable. Yo may have to "chip" out some of the styrofoam insulation and reach between the bracing but it's better than the wet bay access end. You can replace the entire valve this way and that's what I would do while it's apart. Good Luck
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Paul,

When I replaced mine, I pulled it out accidently (on the new valve that I just spent $60.00+ for) I managed to squeeze it back in and re-crimped it with a pair of Klein wire crimps. I thought it was pretty mickey mouse, and was half tempted to run back and get a new one, but that was the only one the dealer had in stock...

SO far I haven't had any problem with it since, but it certainly isn't the way I would think it should be...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The pass-thru compartment just forward of the wet bay has a removable rear wall that will allow y9ou better access tothe valve end of the cable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Been there done that with the gray valve about 6 mo ago. I bought the complete valve for 1/2 price from a place that was going out of business, but ended up just replacing the seals, which I had also bought at the same time. So, I have a complete extra valve, but don't plan to replace it as the valve itself works great.

Fortunately this was the black valve (closest to the outside), and I was able to reach in and close it after I took out the bottom metal panel in the water bay. So, I can use my tank, and open and close the dump valve when I need to. I imagined a clamp in my mind today while driving that would hold the cable securely in the metal part of the handle. Now if I can somehow create it...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Well, I may have it fixed. This afternoon I attempted to re-crimp the metal around the cable with vice grips, tightening them down several times and popping them together to squeeze the metal.

That seemed to fix it, but just to be sure I figured out a poor man's version of the clamp I had envisioned. I put a very small hose clamp around the metal handle extension with two small wire ties under it. Then I put another wire tie on the cable, with the two small wire ties under it also, and cinched it down tight. Then I cinched up the two small ties to hold the cable to the metal. It worked for several cycles of the handle. I'll watch it the next few times I dump, and if it holds together I'll put the compartment panel back in place!!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had my grey water cable replaced. The guy used a power take-off cable. It was spendy but well worth it cause it works like a champ
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

AFCHAP -- I had a similar problem where the cable housing had actually separated at the point where the cable is crimped into the end-shaft. Two years ago I did a temporary repair by using two small 3/8 cable clamps and a short section of small copper tubing. Using the cable clamps, I clamped the tubing to the hard housing area and to the cable housing. My temporary fix has been working fine for two years. That reminds me, I guess I should pick up a cable just in case the cable totally fails.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote